Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah. He was going a tad over 100 as he came around the bend of my house. I heard him coming from quite a ways away, so I naturally went to my window to watch. As I watch his bike come around the corner, he went into the infamous death wobble. He tried to corner but he wiped out - topside. I watched him skid across the pavement then into my neighbors ya. I don't think he's gonna make it, he was 100% squid. (cargo shirt, T shirt and no helmet). I sincerely hope he's okay though. He was unconscious when I got to him and barely breathing. A quick call to 911 and an ambulance was there in under 3 minutes (I live 2.5 mi from a hospital). His bike was totaled, and was half bent around a tree... From what I could tell by taking a quick look at the bike was it was a almost brand new Raven. It has 24.9 miles on it when i glanced at the odometer. He looked to be in his early 20's, I'm guessing he was a newish rider. Will inform you guys of more later when I know more!

Ride safe!

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yeah. He was going a tad over 100 as he came around the bend of my house. I heard him coming from quite a ways away, so I naturally went to my window to watch. As I watch his bike come around the corner, he went into the infamous death wobble. He tried to corner but he wiped out - topside. I watched him skid across the pavement then into my neighbors ya. I don't think he's gonna make it, he was 100% squid. (cargo shirt, T shirt and no helmet). I sincerely hope he's okay though. He was unconscious when I got to him and barely breathing. A quick call to 911 and an ambulance was there in under 3 minutes (I live 2.5 mi from a hospital). His bike was totaled, and was half bent around a tree... From what I could tell by taking a quick look at the bike was it was a almost brand new Raven. It has 24.9 miles on it when i glanced at the odometer. He looked to be in his early 20's, I'm guessing he was a newish rider. Will inform you guys of more later when I know more!

Ride safe!
That Sucks Big Time!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Sounds some easy to obtain and free spare parts if you ask me ;) , but no that sucks for the guy but at least he was having a bit of fun before it all went sideways

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds some easy to obtain and free spare parts if you ask me ;) , but no that sucks for the guy but at least he was having a bit of fun before it all went sideways
in all honesty, assuming he lives, I plan on asking for what is left of the bike, or at least some parts. You know, for being the good guy here and dialing 911.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's terrible! Hopefully the guy makes it, and gets to learn a lesson. Good thing you were there to respond fast, good job and let is know what happens to him.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
in all honesty, assuming he lives, I plan on asking for what is left of the bike, or at least some parts. You know, for being the good guy here and dialing 911.

Hats off to you for getting to him right away and I hope he recovers - this is not a good thing when this stuff happens...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well TC, seeing as you are 16 and about to get an R3 soon, hopefully your witnessing this unfortunate event also gave you a very good idea on what not to do.

Reactions: 2k4_8

·
Registered
2,519 Posts

Ride safe!
How do you know how fast he was going?

Good old Mark1 Mod 0 eyeball?

My Odo doesnt display tenths of a mile. Anyone know how to change that?

Hope that guy makes it. I dont even know why anyone would NOT wear a helmet. I also dont know why it isnt illegal in all 50 to not wear one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mate, Without photos it never happened! Any visible signs of head injury's, Pupils equal and reactive to light? 3 minute Ambulance time is good. Last month I timed an
Ambulance take 30 minutes to travel 15km in light traffic to attend a T-Boned Harley.

·
Registered
321 Posts
This thread made me shiver down my spine.

Last night was the first time I took my R3 to 100mph just to see if it could. Well, it can. I wear full gear head to ankle (I wear regular shoes) and I did it on a straight stretch of road. I've been riding for 10 years on 3 different bikes.

But not again. This could have been me.

But was the 24.9 miles the odometer or just a trip meter? Hard to tell without really taking a hard look at the dash. Did it have a licence plate? If not, it was new, if it did then he either never rides it or it was a trip meter you saw.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This thread made me shiver down my spine.

Last night was the first time I took my R3 to 100mph just to see if it could. Well, it can. I wear full gear head to ankle (I wear regular shoes) and I did it on a straight stretch of road. I've been riding for 10 years on 3 different bikes.

But not again. This could have been me.

But was the 24.9 miles the odometer or just a trip meter? Hard to tell without really taking a hard look at the dash. Did it have a licence plate? If not, it was new, if it did then he either never rides it or it was a trip meter you saw.
24.9 miles, at 100mph means he has 15 minutes of run time. The new plate as mentioned is a telltale sign. I doubt ODO read that mileage. The trip meter shows tenths of a mile, don't think ODO does.

I highly suggest riding boots. I've been down twice and looking at my gear, I think the most important places to protect are going to be the head, knees, ankles and hands/forearms.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really don't understand why people don't wear gear. On the hottest day as long as you're moving it's not that hot. You may get a little sweaty, but it's better than a little dead when the lady in the Buick runs the stop sign in front of you. You can be the best rider but there are a ton of bad drivers out there. Hopefully buddy makes it and hopefully some one reads this and decides to gear up if they don't already.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Took mine to 100mph within first 20km
I didn't die.

Darwin had a theory about evolution,
motorcycling proves him correct.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It had 24.9 miles on it and the guy was going about 100mph? Wont it cause an engine breakdown? Dont the dealers say not to cross 7000rpm for the first 600miles?

Poor chap i hope he is ok.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
It had 24.9 miles on it and the guy was going about 100mph? Wont it cause an engine breakdown? Dont the dealers say not to cross 7000rpm for the first 600miles?

Poor chap i hope he is ok.
It comes back to the "hard" vs "soft" break-in techniques discussed at length elsewhere...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Man.. That's terrible. I often do 100+ on my R3 to keep up with the friends that I ride with. Of course that's on the freeway and not down a street, but this type of stuff still scares me. Speaking of going 100+, I often keep on the throttle well after the shift light comes on in 6th gear. But it never redlines. Always stays around 11k. Is this ok for the bike, or should I ease off after so long. I've got it up to 112 before.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It comes back to the "hard" vs "soft" break-in techniques discussed at length elsewhere...
I've done a hard break in on two bikes without problems. There are plenty of videos of bikes being run at the factory before shipping, some to redline. One person theorized that the break in period is for the new owner, to get them accustomed to the engines characteristics. Kind of like how some people speculate scrubbing tires isn't even something you need anymore, it's mainly just to get the new owner accustomed to it. I have no idea how true any of that stuff is, but it makes a bit of sense.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:
He's in a medically induced coma right now, doc says he should come back soon though. Also, it was the trip meter, not the odometer. And to whomever it was that asked how I knew it was 100 mph, people (including my friends) come around this corner at 100+ all the time, so I was able to see he was going that fast.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts