Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please, for the love of God guys, ride safe out there.

A member of this forum - well, formerly at least - who we are all familiar with was in a terrible accident today here in Austin. As far as local reports go he is okay (broken bones and probably very sore, but alive) but the bike and the Porsche he smashed into are not quite so well.

If you are going to go out on a street ride for some fun, please evaluate yourself and those around you CONSTANTLY to make sure you're not running the risk of endangering yourself or others. It's easy to get caught up in the moment and have a little fun but the fine line between fun and stupid on bikes is easy to cross and not always so east to see.

I'll let the bike do the answering as to who it is. It's not really my business to go around posting who it was. But there's only so many guys who had an R3 who now have the bike he has(d)...

Attachments

·
Registered
506 Posts
I lived in Austin some 30 years and remember once when a bike flew off of the 183 overpass onto Mopac. I feel a some safer riding in Mexico than I do in the states nowadays. That is one lucky SOB to survive that crash.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Best wishes for them. Just sheesh that's insane. Always gotta be aware of the dangers (even though many are out of our control)

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Best wishes for them. Just sheesh that's insane. Always gotta be aware of the dangers (even though many are out of our control)
There are things that are out of our control but as motorcyclist we must know how to react to them if we expect to survive. That is where I believe courses such as total control and brc/arc/erc and what not shine. Sand/oil/gravel on the corner you use everyday are out of your control. Knowing how to react is still within your control. Hyper awareness can help to some point. Knowing what to do once you have recognized what the danger is would be the second part of staying alive. Instinct in motorcycling will get your ass killed. Most training goes against your instinct ( look where you want to go is one of those) but if you can overcome your instinct and follow your training you are much better off.

I've followed my instinct and laid my N650 down. Slow down/ brake hard mid corner and what happens? Low side and eat the guard rail because the bike stands up. Training would tell you to counter steer more, lean more and you would make that corner. Instinct says otherwise.

As motocycle at we must always know how to react as things happen to us in milliseconds.

Want to live longer as a rider? Take courses, spend money on books, retain information, apply it when you need to. Most people spend hundred on bullshit they don't really need but won't spend a dime on books, won't look into a rider improvement class or a track day, or won't buy gear that will keep them alive.

Some books I own and think are worth the $20-30:
A twist of the wrist
Total control
Master the ride

Still too cheap? Watch a twist of the wrist on YouTube about 30 times.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Holy ****, that looks bad. Just falling onto the road from that height would hurt enough.

I'm glad that they seem to be okay and have lived to ride another day.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
lucky to be alive after hitting a car head on; perhaps it was a Porsche (lower and sloped front body helped the rider). Looks like the motorcyclist was out of his lane at moment of impact.

I see the bike had a different fork on it (USD). The wheel is complete toast - but the forks are only "bent" I consider that amazing as it was in on a head on collision!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
lucky to be alive after hitting a car head on; perhaps it was a Porsche (lower and sloped front body helped the rider). Looks like the motorcyclist was out of his lane at moment of impact.

I see the bike had a different fork on it (USD). The wheel is complete toast - but the forks are only "bent" I consider that amazing as it was in on a head on collision!
I believe it's a D675R, not an R3 with different forks. Swing arm is different, forks, brakes, engine case, etc.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100% it is a Daytona.

Many of us have a hunch the Porsche saved his life. Had he hit just about ANYTHING else he would have went through a windshield, or worse.

And @kiko that actually happened like a month ago. Some older lady on a ZX6R flew off the overpass on a really windy day. Eye wtiness say she wasn't riding aggressive. Probably just the right combination of wind, lean, and a bump and the bike got squirrely and she went right off. I always slow down super slow for overpasses, regardless of how fun they look.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Thay looks really bad. Riding way over your head. Just glad the person survived. Always ride within your limits people. Leave some percentage in reserve. Want to go 100 percent then take it to the track.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Many of us have a hunch the Porsche saved his life. Had he hit just about ANYTHING else he would have went through a windshield, or worse.
Just the thought of it being an SUV or pickup (that dominate the streets in TX), or worse, a semi, sends a chill down my spine...

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
100% it is a Daytona.

And @kiko that actually happened like a month ago. Some older lady on a ZX6R flew off the overpass on a really windy day. Eye wtiness say she wasn't riding aggressive. Probably just the right combination of wind, lean, and a bump and the bike got squirrely and she went right off. I always slow down super slow for overpasses, regardless of how fun they look.
Wind is the only thing that has ever scared me on a bike. Took my zx6r pretty close to its top speed in a long straight a few times and that deserves a yawn. Ran countless fast runs through the many blind corners of the 94, Palomar, etc. Still run at 75-85 mph in rain through San Diego when everyone is dropping to like 65-55 and it doesn't really phase me. Wind though. I'm not a religious man, but one day on a wind advisory day going to work on the Coronado bridge, I was tucked and actually praying in my helmet lol. On a light little R3 getting knocked from lane one to lane three is no fun. Deciding, should I go as fast as I normally do and get off th bridge quicker? Do I draft the car in front of me or is it going to be too risky possibly getting knocked into it? If something bad did happen would I actually fly off this bridge? How tall exactly is the Coronado bridge? Falling would suck, would I die of a heart attack first or would I be fortunate enough to experience the entire drop and the bone crunching smash afterwards? If I survived, would the cold water kill me or would sharks rip me apart? Are there sharks in the bay? Having a big imagination sucks. Ok I'm off the bridge now! For real though, wind sucks ass. Especially on tall bridges.

Edit: forgot to mention, that is a gnarly pic!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, my suspicions on it were correct last night (for those who saw my post before I deleted it). Reddit let the cat out of the bag this morning.

Yammie Noob just crashed TWO Triumph Daytonas within 6 months of each other. I think its time for him to retire the stupidity of his "Street Rossi" mentality before the next crash leaves him dead. And let that be a lesson for you new riders, he has less than 2 years of riding under his belt, and he ends up crashing 2 very expensive bikes because his lack of skill. Hopefully his insurance premiums will make him think twice.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
HOLY SH1TBALLS! The first thing that went through my mind was "Austin Texas.... Daytona 675R..... YAMMIE NOOB!!!!"

That was YAMMIE NOOB ?!?!?!
I have been following his channel off and on for awhile. I know he had an FZ-09, and recently got another 675R because it's his favorite bike.
I always thought he was a jacka$$, but his YouTube channel was sometimes entertaining.
Wow, I can't believe he wrecked that new 675R already. And from the looks of the pictures... it was a BAD one.
Well, here's my advice to mister Yammie Noob: FIND ANOTHER HOBBY.
If the guy gets back on another motorcycle ever again, he's a stupid idiot with a death-wish.
He doesn't belong on a motorcycle. EVER.
He needs to stay FAR away from them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
HOLY SH1TBALLS! The first thing that went through my mind was "Austin Texas.... Daytona 675R..... YAMMIE NOOB!!!!"

That was YAMMIE NOOB ?!?!?!
I have been following his channel off and on for awhile. I know he had an FZ-09, and recently got another 675R because it's his favorite bike.
I always thought he was a jacka$$, but his YouTube channel was sometimes entertaining.
Wow, I can't believe he wrecked that new 675R already. And from the looks of the pictures... it was a BAD one.
Well, here's my advice to mister Yammie Noob: FIND ANOTHER HOBBY.
If the guy gets back on another motorcycle ever again, he's a stupid idiot with a death-wish.
He doesn't belong on a motorcycle. EVER.
He needs to stay FAR away from them.
Yeah, he was a member on here. After he bought his first Daytona about 3-4 months after his first bike, the R3, he posted one of his first videos on here comparing the two bikes. I would've liked Yammie Noob if he didn't ride like an a hole. Sure, many motovloggers ride like ass but Yammie rode like a jack ass with just a few months of riding experience under his belt and posted videos of it which never sat right with me because that is just horrible for new riders who want to copy him. But he basically proved my point by crashing two Daytona 675s 6 months apart. Lack of skill + Riding like a a hole = Flush $$$$$ down the toilet. He is lucky to be alive. At least he moved up into the world and crashed into a Porsche instead of a boulder. Wonder what he will aim for next time.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Wind is the only thing that has ever scared me on a bike. Took my zx6r pretty close to its top speed in a long straight a few times and that deserves a yawn. Ran countless fast runs through the many blind corners of the 94, Palomar, etc. Still run at 75-85 mph in rain through San Diego when everyone is dropping to like 65-55 and it doesn't really phase me. Wind though. I'm not a religious man, but one day on a wind advisory day going to work on the Coronado bridge, I was tucked and actually praying in my helmet lol. On a light little R3 getting knocked from lane one to lane three is no fun. Deciding, should I go as fast as I normally do and get off th bridge quicker? Do I draft the car in front of me or is it going to be too risky possibly getting knocked into it? If something bad did happen would I actually fly off this bridge? How tall exactly is the Coronado bridge? Falling would suck, would I die of a heart attack first or would I be fortunate enough to experience the entire drop and the bone crunching smash afterwards? If I survived, would the cold water kill me or would sharks rip me apart? Are there sharks in the bay? Having a big imagination sucks. Ok I'm off the bridge now! For real though, wind sucks ass. Especially on tall bridges.

Edit: forgot to mention, that is a gnarly pic!

I lived downtown San Diego for five years (at the El Cortez) and drove over that bridge many times, but ride a bike over it? Man you got some giant brass balls my friend.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I lived downtown San Diego for five years (at the El Cortez) and drove over that bridge many times, but ride a bike over it? Man you got some giant brass balls my friend.
5 days a week my friend. 6 if I had duty. I have lane split through that bridge in bumper to bumper traffic at over 75 mph lol.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts