Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! So I'm planning on making the jump to the KT headlight housing. I plan on getting the headlights without the demon eyes. Just the angel eyes and projectors. These run with 55w ballasts, and I'm trying to decide on which color bulbs to grab for them.

My experience with HID's is limited to my Mazda 3, which has 5000 Kelvin rated bulbs on 35w ballasts, and it's almost a pure white light. I know 55w ballasts are brighter, but I don't know if I should grab the 4300 Kelvin bulbs, or the stock 6000 Kelvin bulbs. I'm worried the 6000 Kelvin bulbs will be too blue running on the 55w ballasts.

If anyone has any experience running 55w ballasts and different Kelvin rating bulbs, let me know what you think. I'd prefer the purest white light possible. I'm leaning towards the 4300 Kelvin bulbs at the moment, thinking they'll be a brighter white on the 55w ballasts.

I know bulbs are fairly cheap and easy to replace. Also, I think I can replace the ballasts if need be. I'm not too sure the quality on the ballasts KT offers. I'd prefer to get a whole new headlight assembly instead of retrofitting. In case I decide to sell the bike in the future, I can swap assemblies and just sell the aftermarkets on Ebay or here on the forums.

Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I retrofitted KT HID kit for myself and 4 other people. Myself and most of us got the 4300 which comes out white. 6000 will be more blue and less visible light. One of us is experiencing a possible bad ballast or bulb issue after 6 months outside parking. Everyone else's has been fine with no problems.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Stay away from 55w.

35w HID is already substantially brighter than the stock 55w Halogen, and unless your buying a high quality ballast bulb/combo most 55w advertised ballasts are really between 40-50w

1 - 4 of 4 Posts