Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area (mods may move if necessary).

I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world, bought a ninja 300 in 2014 and totaled it in 6mo and a month later bought a 2015 R3. :)

I'm at 12,XXXmi (yes u read that right! Over 12k in less than a year!) and went for a routine oil change at the dealership of purchase.

They told me I have an oil leak but they don't know where it's coming from so they said I would have to come back another time (cuz I couldn't leave my bike there at that moment). They apparently need to strip down the bike to figure out which side of the engine the leak is coming from.

So my question is: would this be something covered under warranty? And if it is would I still have to pay for labor, additional parts, etc?

Sorry for such a long post and noobie question...maybe cuz I'm one of those dumb girls that gets suckered at dealerships lol thanks for any and all advice in advance :p

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
You will not know if this is covered by warranty until they determine the problem and potentially, what caused it. For example, what if you did your own oil change and put the wrong filter on or stripped the drain plug (just examples, of course)
They will not charge you for anything they find that's covered under warranty but nothing is definitive until they know for sure what the problem is, and what caused it.

While the bike is under warranty, you are only responsible for damage you may have caused, or was caused by mods you have done to the bike. The burden would be on them however, to prove you caused the damage. The burden is NOT on you to prove you did not cause the damage.

In short, have them look at it and determine what's wrong. Typically, if it's something you need to cover, most shops will deduct the cost of labor spent finding the problem from the overall cost to repair it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong area (mods may move if necessary).

I'm fairly new to the motorcycle world, bought a ninja 300 in 2014 and totaled it in 6mo and a month later bought a 2015 R3. :)

I'm at 12,XXXmi (yes u read that right! Over 12k in less than a year!) and went for a routine oil change at the dealership of purchase.

They told me I have an oil leak but they don't know where it's coming from so they said I would have to come back another time (cuz I couldn't leave my bike there at that moment). They apparently need to strip down the bike to figure out which side of the engine the leak is coming from.

So my question is: would this be something covered under warranty? And if it is would I still have to pay for labor, additional parts, etc?

Sorry for such a long post and noobie question...maybe cuz I'm one of those dumb girls that gets suckered at dealerships lol thanks for any and all advice in advance :p
How about an update on what the problem turned out to be?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts