Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

My first post in here but from what I have seen you guys have been amazing. So the inevitable happened, i was told everyone does it, no matter how i tried to avoid it and take it slow and i laid my 2016 Yamaha R3 down...too much front break and not enough rear in 2nd and flipped her. There is minimal damage to the to the body of the bike but the shifter is toast. Was wondering if any of you know what the piece is called on the bike the shift peg is attached too. I want to call it the shift plate. I can't replace the shifter without this. It's the flush flat piece the shift lever bolts to and it has 2 bolts to the bike. It snapped right off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Sounds like you are ok so I'm glad for that.

That's commonly called the rearset though it might be called something f else when you buy it OeM?

I don't understand how you "flipped" the bike but got very minimal damage as you described it? Also sounds like you stabbed or applied the brakes too suddenly? You can get a lot of front braking done but you need to be smooth & progressive, you can't be stabbing the brakes.

There may be a few stock rearsets in the classifieds here, or get the aftermarket gold ones if gold is your thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like you are ok so I'm glad for that.

That's commonly called the rearset though it might be called something f else when you buy it OeM?

I don't understand how you "flipped" the bike but got very minimal damage as you described it? Also sounds like you stabbed or applied the brakes too suddenly? You can get a lot of front braking done but you need to be smooth & progressive, you can't be stabbing the brakes.

There may be a few stock rearsets in the classifieds here, or get the aftermarket gold ones if gold is your thing.
I am good just some scrapes on my left leg and a new respect for the bike. Definitly a lesson learned. Hard to explain just remember hitting the front brake too hard and thinking Oh **** as I went forward once the rear wheel came up and I went with it. Sat up first instinct was to grab the bike and she was stuck in 2nd gear on her left side. Was able to ride it the mile home but the shifter is done.

I saw a dual "rearset" looks like both sides in one. Replace it all.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
330 Posts
For sure, that is the rearset. Can probably buy someones takeoffs for cheap off this forum if you keep an eye out.

As far as your wreck, just my .02, if you are out to learn from the mistake and become a better rider I doubt your issue was too little rear brake. In an emergency braking situation your rear brake can pretty much be ignored. Practice gradual increasing of the front brake lever until you have it pulled all the way. The best way to do this is in an empty parking lot at like 30MPH. Grabbing it all at once disrupts the bike and can cause what happened but this bike does not have the braking ability in stock form to pull the rear end when applying front brakes properly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The old "front brake flip over the handlebars", be glad it happened at slower speed. I've seen it happen mountain biking lots of times..human nature is to grab the brake lever, add in the adrenaline surge of the moment...bad things can happen.

Glad to hear your OK.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Here you go. Partzilla has the specific parts you'll need and can get them to you faster/cheaper than any dealership. I've ordered a ton of stuff thru them and ProCaliber.com. Partzilla is usually faster but sometimes ProCaliber is cheaper.

The exploded diagrams on the site make it super easy to figure out exactly what you need.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/sear...015/YZFR3+-+YZFR3FB/STAND+FOOTREST/parts.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys have all been amazing and quick! Found everything I need and fingers crossed all works out on install saved me tons and thank you for the well wishes and advice. Definitely learned a lot from the experience. Appreciate all the help!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For sure, that is the rearset. Can probably buy someones takeoffs for cheap off this forum if you keep an eye out.

As far as your wreck, just my .02, if you are out to learn from the mistake and become a better rider I doubt your issue was too little rear brake. In an emergency braking situation your rear brake can pretty much be ignored. Practice gradual increasing of the front brake lever until you have it pulled all the way. The best way to do this is in an empty parking lot at like 30MPH. Grabbing it all at once disrupts the bike and can cause what happened but this bike does not have the braking ability in stock form to pull the rear end when applying front brakes properly.
I dunno about not being able to get that rear up. There is a pic of Jason Madama doing a stoppie. http://www.r3-forums.com/forum/761-spears-racing/58818-spears-racing-new-lap-record-miller.html

But yeah, gradual brake pressure, don't just go 0-100% brake pressure all at once or bad things happen.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Alls I know is I have grabbed the front brakes pretty hard a number of times to try and get the rear end to come up and it won't. I can get it to skate around a bit cooking it into a turn but not anything that would surprise me like a bike with twin front discs can do.

I'm sure it's possible when trying, but with the proper gradual application I can squeeze the brakes to the max and still not lose control. We're arguing semantics though.

That being said, I would love to do a stoppie on the R3. Not sure I'm quite skilled enough to do so on this bike.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Alls I know is I have grabbed the front brakes pretty hard a number of times to try and get the rear end to come up and it won't. I can get it to skate around a bit cooking it into a turn but not anything that would surprise me like a bike with twin front discs can do.

I'm sure it's possibles when trying, but with the proper gradual application I can squeeze the brakes to the max and still not lose control. We're arguing semantics though.

That being said, I would love to do a stoppie on the R3. Not sure I'm quite skilled enough to do so on this bike.
I try pulling a stoppie every time I am coming to a stop. Can't consistently get the rear up. I did manage to get the bike to wheelie finally though. Got it pretty consistent about 3 weeks ago maybe?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts