Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a friend lay his R3 down. It slid a pretty good ways on the left side (left side when sitting on it) of the bike. Bike is pretty scuffed up, but not to bad except for the left side of the motor.

Im fine working on bikes. However, this is my first foray into dealing with anything to do with the motor. What it looks like, and this is just an assumption as I have never done motor work, is that the left side motor cover is ground through. I know its ground through as it was dumping oil.

Couple questions about replacement on this:

1) Where can I buy this piece?

2) Im worried about metal and other debris having been pulled into the motor while this bike was sliding and grinding the cover. Is that a valid worry?

3) Is there anything that I need to worry about when replacing this piece aside from changing the oil after?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Not sure about the details with the debris and what not getting in. I will say bike bandit, partzilla and pro caliber all should carry your LHS cover. Sorry to hear about your friend laying the bike down. I am also going to be replacing my LHS cover soon. Not ground through but scratched from a lowside.

·
Registered
811 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I think my biggest issue was using BikeBandit and not seeing the cover in the parts list. The part is listed on the ronayers site and 50 some is not that bad of a price not including bolts and gasket etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Another place you can look at is gearheads they will have free shipping and tend to be cheaper than the dealership. i wish i had known about these websites before going straight to the dealership, i recently dropped my bike too and i ended up spending 60 more dollars than i needed to :/

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This is from Ron Ayers, so might not be the best price but it is part # 1

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/54fdc99b87a86510e82103fb/crankcase-cover-1

$53.26 plus shipping. If you spend over $100 shipping is free. Get some case guards also. I have Woodcraft, made in USA, and love them.

There are a bunch of options out there, just do a search for case covers on the forum.
Link your case savers please! Heres what I was considering:

http://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Racing-2015-2016-Yamaha-Covers/dp/B013J838N0

·
Registered
811 Posts
I fixed the link in my original post to Woodcraft.

I actually have the T-Rex too. Woodcraft doesn't have the clutch side yet and I wanted some protection prior to hitting the track.

The T-Rex are OK. Quality is not as nice as the Woodcraft though. I easily stripped out the threads on the clutch side without trying. I ended up getting longer bolts to fix the problem since only the top couple of threads got stripped.

Here is link for R&G covers

Link for Yamaha factory covers

Dimotiv clutch side cover

Smaller Dimotiv clutch side protection

Dimotiv stator side protection

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I easily stripped out the threads on the clutch side without trying. I ended up getting longer bolts to fix the problem since only the top couple of threads got stripped.
What do you mean by you stripped out the threads? Literally the case threads were stripped just by installing? Is that a fault of the Trex covers or a mistake on your part? I dont want to buy it if its a fault of the product.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It was the threads on the T-Rex case saver. They don't put metal inserts into the plastic guard so the threads are just cut into the plastic case saver.

Nothing serious, just something to watch out for. I ended up using longer bolts and some blue loctite. No problems so far. I know someone else mentioned the same thing happening to them when installing the T-Rex case savers.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It was the threads on the T-Rex case saver. They don't put metal inserts into the plastic guard so the threads are just cut into the plastic case saver.

Nothing serious, just something to watch out for. I ended up using longer bolts and some blue loctite. No problems so far. I know someone else mentioned the same thing happening to them when installing the T-Rex case savers.
I think I understand. Now does it need the threads? If the actual case had threads, wouldn't the bolts pulling the case saver to the case be enough to hold it in place?

·
Registered
811 Posts
On the stator side the case is bolted directly to the block. On the clutch side there is a spacer for the cover. The spacer bolts to the back of the T-Rex cover and then the spacer bolts to the block. The bolts in the cover would not likely come out since they would back into the original Yamaha clutch cover, but I am just paranoid about things like that. So I rethreaded the cover, used longer bolts, and blue loctite.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.