Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I just noticed some minor scratches on the LCD dash screen of my 2019 R3. Not really visible when on but can be seen when the display is off. Is there a way to fix those scratches and/or easy way to replace just the plastic screen (probably not)?

thanks!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Car wax (all waxes are non-abrasive) application is likely to create static and attract more dust that will eventually scratch the plastic more. There are a few very good plastic polishes on the market, including the Novus system that I have used successfully for years. It has two different polishes for different scratches, as well as a final cleaner spray that removes static electricity and shines up the plastic nicely. I would only use this or any other polish with clean, fresh microfiber towels and not anything like a paper towel or rags, which will likely impart more fine scratches.

Rule of thumb is that anything with dust or dirt on it, do NOT dry wipe ever or you will induce swirls and scratches in the surface (paint or clear plastics). A quick spray and then wipe should keep your gauge face looking nice for a while.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great responses. So what I did is use the Novus #2 first and that took out most of the scratches. Then went over that with a cleaner/wax. Between the two, I got the obvious scratches out and now there's just some very fine swirl marks on the dash face that are slightly visible with the dash off--much better than before. I can probably live with that as I don't know how to get rid of those very fine swirl marks without screwing everything up.

Didn't know the dash plastic was so sensitive as you mentioned but now I definitely learned. thanks again.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thanks for the recommendation on the screen protector--assume they are holding up ok? How is the clarity and any weird reflections?

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a screen protector too. It works great. The only issue I had was getting some of the air bubbles out.

Yes I ordered the multipack because I wasn't sure how well they would go on. I was able to get most of the air bubbles out but it is slightly askew top to bottom.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Great thanks for the recommendation on the screen protector--assume they are holding up ok? How is the clarity and any weird reflections?
I have had mine on since Nov. No issues with it other than I stupidly put a few small light scratches on the sides when I was putting it on. It is not visible in my opinion so no odd issues with glare or anything like that though I do wear polarized regular glasses so that may play a part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts