Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just started to get my confidence up and made the bike lean my worry is sometimes when I lean the bike seems to move outside on its own is that what people say the tire is slipping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes inside going outside, so me doing that has nothing to do with the tires but my speed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think when starting out many riders mistake "drifting wide" with "sliding". As Aeson pointed out, if you get a slide, especially in the front, you'll know it. Also, congrats on getting your confidence up and wanting to understand how to ride better.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Go buy some Dunlop GPR300 tires. $40 rebate right now at BikeBandit on them. That will take care of the plastic tires issue.

I felt some Diablos yesterday. They have nothing on the Dunlops for grip.

I also like the cuts in my Dunlops for sand.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The first time I ever felt the tire actually slip while leaning on a curve (and it was due to hitting a rock/gravel), my heart left my body for a few seconds and I probably lost about a year of my remaining life.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Also, make sure you are not gorilla gripping the bars......keep it light on the bars. Are you getting on the throttle while it drifts wider? That'll also make it drift wider.

Make sure you stay smooth on the throttle, any jerky motion there could make it seem like its drifting as the throttle makes the front light and rear loaded. This will push the bike wider in turns. Give it too much throttle and your front may tuck in and cause a crash.

Any videos of your "slipping" would be better for us to analyze and give correct feedback.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi, I just started to get my confidence up and made the bike lean my worry is sometimes when I lean the bike seems to move outside on its own is that what people say the tire is slipping?

Slipping? Maybe. You'd have to be travelling pretty fast. I wasn't, felt it was more like rolling, like riding with a flat tire. Happened to me twice and I got rid of them real quick.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sometimes when I get around a corner faster than usual thats when I go wide its like Im being push outside. A bit frustrated cause I cant seem to get the right speed, throttling during corner doesnt help either only makes me go outside much faster lol. Found out that if I keep the throttle at a constant speed I can hold my line. Haha I feel like a kid who just learned a new magic trick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I went to riding clinic earlier, the instructor told that for stock tire, the limit of leaning is when you scrape your footrest. Don't risk anything beyond that.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you are drifting wide and are not near the edge of your tire, lean the bike over some more. More counter steering input to the inside bar.

·
Super Moderator
1,330 Posts
When I went to riding clinic earlier, the instructor told that for stock tire, the limit of leaning is when you scrape your footrest. Don't risk anything beyond that.
As a risk-adverse engineer that rides entirely too slowly ... how do you lean beyond scraping the footpegs? (Legit question)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Buy some stickier tires. I used to feel the rear tire slip when I had the stock Michelins. I think the front Michelin Street tire is ok, but the rear is just awful for technical roads. But now with Bridgestone S20 EVO tires I have a lot more confidence to go all the way down to the edge. The Michelins are meant for commuting. Going fast in straight lines or sweepers. But not for fast switchbacks.

I ride Malibu canyons often which are very tight and technical. I didn't trust the Michelins at all for leaning. It still had like 1 inch chicken strips when I replaced them. But the first 30 miles on the S20, the rear tire had no strips. I wouldn't replace just the rear tire though. Get a set. I got a set of S20 from BikeBandit.com for $200 free shipping ($215 bc of California tax). The S20 is single compound on the rear which means they warm up fast and stay sticky... but that also means 1/3 tire life vs the Michelin Street. The center will wear out fast if you commute on straight lines more often than riding twisties.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've got 0 strips on my front tire, and maybe a 1/4" on the rears, on the oem tires. They aren't *that* bad. Dont know why, but I've always had a similar wear pattern, even on my other bikes (more front than rear).

In dry warm weather they stick well enough for the street, but do have a lot if flex which could definitely scare a new rider.

They are iffy in the cold, and I really struggle with grip in the wet with them. Wet tar strips are like a skating rink. I just can't justify replacing them until they are worn though, as I am currently putting 4-500 miles a week on them. They'll be worn down soon enough.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
As a risk-adverse engineer that rides entirely too slowly ... how do you lean beyond scraping the footpegs? (Legit question)
I am assuming he means the stock pegs. Once you go with different pegs or rear sets, the position of the pegs generally goes up, allowing for more lean angle than a stock config.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes when I get around a corner faster than usual thats when I go wide its like Im being push outside. A bit frustrated cause I cant seem to get the right speed, throttling during corner doesnt help either only makes me go outside much faster lol. Found out that if I keep the throttle at a constant speed I can hold my line. Haha I feel like a kid who just learned a new magic trick.

Sounds a lot like me before i learned countersteering. You have to push your inside bar to get the bike to lean, and then continue to smoothly push that same bar to continue the turn, if you fail to push it the bike will want to go straight. If this is the case, watch ands/or re-watch Twist-of-the-wrist-2.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I found a road today to practice countersteering and throttle roll on. Did a few hours of it and was wooo hoo- ing inside my helmet. It's easy with the r3 to roll on much because the power not really gonna spin the rear out. So I was going into turns and felt the bike would just fall. I was not rolling on as I started my steering. So I used this lonely road to keep practicing. Now as I take corners, I do all my braking and blipping early, I'm not knee dragging in public, at tip in, I roll on, more steering input, low on the tank, loose on bars, trust the bike. Crossing up on bike will lean bike over more but it makes finishing turns awkward. Going with the bike, a nice roll on, loose arms, good body position and the bike will corner faster and safer. It felt so **** planted. Love this bike!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts