Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I taught myself how to ride using my brother's V45 Magna and then picked up a 1986 Honda Shadow 700 that I rode daily when I was in my early 20's. Although I didn't take any form of actual training, I picked it up quickly and always rode very cautiously. I rode for about 5 years and then had to sell my bike.

Fast forward 20 years, I wanted to get back on a bike again. This time, I took a MSF course, obtained my license and just picked up a 2016 Matte Gray. It's been raining since I brought it home in my truck a few days back but the sun poked out this afternoon and the roads dried up a bit, so I just took it out for my first spin.

Fun bike. I took it very slow. Luckily, I live out in the middle of nowhere so I was able to cruise around my back streets with little to no interaction with other drivers. After a few minutes, it felt much more natural and it all came back to me. I did keep the speeds down though. My back roads are windy and narrow and they haven't been swept yet either, so there is sand and gravel everywhere.

The first 14 miles have been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to rebuilding my skills and venturing further out on my next runs.

Funny thing.... My wife has not been very happy about me getting another bike (she says they're too dangerous) and I keep telling her I'm not buying a "real" bike. "It's just a cool looking scooter".
When I got home, she said "I see what you mean now. You're bike sounds like a little scooter"

I need an exhaust now. LOL

·
Registered
175 Posts
I taught myself how to ride using my brother's V45 Magna and then picked up a 1986 Honda Shadow 700 that I rode daily when I was in my early 20's. Although I didn't take any form of actual training, I picked it up quickly and always rode very cautiously. I rode for about 5 years and then had to sell my bike.

Fast forward 20 years, I wanted to get back on a bike again. This time, I took a MSF course, obtained my license and just picked up a 2016 Matte Gray. It's been raining since I brought it home in my truck a few days back but the sun poked out this afternoon and the roads dried up a bit, so I just took it out for my first spin.

Fun bike. I took it very slow. Luckily, I live out in the middle of nowhere so I was able to cruise around my back streets with little to no interaction with other drivers. After a few minutes, it felt much more natural and it all came back to me. I did keep the speeds down though. My back roads are windy and narrow and they haven't been swept yet either, so there is sand and gravel everywhere.

The first 14 miles have been a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to rebuilding my skills and venturing further out on my next runs.

Funny thing.... My wife has not been very happy about me getting another bike (she says they're too dangerous) and I keep telling her I'm not buying a "real" bike. "It's just a cool looking scooter".

When I got home, she said "I see what you mean now. You're bike sounds like a little scooter"

I need an exhaust now. LOL

I am also a self taught motorcyclist and can relate to your experience. I took the MSF course a last weekend and it was a great experience! Took me back to my teens where I would take my friend's bikes for a spin.
Must be a good feeling to finally break in your new ride! Good luck with exhaust hunting. Keep us posted!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts