Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
PU leather is VERY different from real leather. It's cheap for a reason. It's essentially a thin leather backing and plastic over that.
Yes, this is true and why money spent on helmets / leathers can climb above $2000 USD fast. On a lighter note, they look awesome and still offer decent protection for at least one good/bad? slide.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks good. I'm currently looking for a leather Alpinestars jacket to match the Yamaha blue, but it seems impossible to find one. They're all a lighter blue.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry Guys
I should have qualified it a little bit better. As I said "Good enough for me scratching around the countryside"

Would never advise people racing bikes to purchase these.

But, out here in Thailand I have seen enough horrific injuries/mutilations to guys arms and legs just sliding down a road from their 110-125cc bikes, just leaving school and 2-4 to a bike.

I have came off my bikes a few times here in Thailand, diesel, manure, farm produce and building supplies, (Gravel, sand) deposited on the road. Going around the countryside only if I can see more miles in front, rice fields either side of me. Do I open up WOT. Most accidents happen on bends, which is why I want protection, maybe they will only last 2 or 3 slides, but the saving in medical bills and skin is worth it.

The locals think that shorts t-shirt and flip flops are enough. They think I am daft when they see me full face, gloves and shoes going out on a run.

Anyway, I think they are a cheap option for street use, certainly not track.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, this is true and why money spent on helmets / leathers can climb above $2000 USD fast. On a lighter note, they look awesome and still offer decent protection for at least one good/bad? slide.
First bike I raced in 1979, the AGV helmet and leathers were a months salary OUCH ??
Can anyone tell me what model of Yamaha this is?? Just look at the twin leading drum shoe brake at the front. Who remembers them?? Or, who has ever seen one.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts