Yamaha R3 Forums banner

LED Headlight Upgrades for the R3

55K views 64 replies 29 participants last post by  ATL_R3 
#1 · (Edited)

Just some update, for anyone looking to do LED Headlights instead of traditional HID.

Good quality LED have a Heatsink and fan system on the back. Specially when you are putting out 36w / 3300 lumens.

problem is this protrudes out the back to where you can't install your Dust Cap.

As shown here.

But, the light output is soo much brighter, and Pure White, and INSTANT ON.
Meaning your Flash to pass works perfectly...... That the advantages over HID are worth figuring out a solution for the back cap.

See less See more
#12 ·
I rode last night for the first time, and I have to admit I felt the stock headlight lacking. I would love to upgrade to an LED, but I'm not much of a DIY'er so making spacers for the caps isn't something I think I'd be able to do. If you offer a "package" of the bulb with spacer I would definitely be interested.

#13 ·
The bulbs, are IN STOCK and available now.

The spacers we are working on, to figure out how fast we can get them made, and how much they would run.

Indeed, if you want to keep the cost down and just to do a DIY, that would probably be simple task as well. PVC Cap or similar.

#14 ·
how does circulating air within a small, chamber really help with cooling? would a couple of holes (3/9 o'clock?) and a tiny drain at 6 o'clock be useful? Is the heat coming off the LED or the power supply?

#24 ·
YES! The first thing I thought when I saw this is I would HAVE to get a cap or mod something to fit because I DO NOT want to have to clean out the headlights... I would imagine a bunch of dirt and dust would come up and find it's way in there and be a pain to clean out later.

I'm also interested in price for complete (bulbs and dust cap).

Props to you guys are HardRacing.com for supplying quality stuff! I've ordered from you guys before with my Honda Grom :)

#25 ·
Props to you guys are HardRacing.com for supplying quality stuff! I've ordered from you guys before with my Honda Grom :)

Thanks, That's our goal here on the R3 Forum.

Right now, we are finishing up the final costs of the 2 spacers.

Also looking at offering (2) Replacement "Holding" Wires in the kit.

The Stock "Holding" Wire can work, with a little effort.

But, rather just have one with a slightly different bend that's ready to go.

#29 ·

Good news, Bad News.

Trying to be as transparent as possible on this project.

Good news, we've been ridding for past 2 weeks with the LED's and they work amazing.

BAD NEWS.......... they get really really hot inside the Sealed Light housing. To Hot.

So we have to design a new cap that will seal the light, but allow the Heat Sink and Fan to stay outside the case.

That way, it can breath, and stay cool, and the light housing can stay sealed.

In the meantime, we are just running them without the caps on the back, and they are just fine.

#37 ·
they get really really hot inside the Sealed Light housing.
You can try adjusting the output level a little lower. Waste heat from high power led emitters seems to rise exponetially toward the top of their rating. It may only take changing one resistor to turn the power down to where they run cooler but seem almost just as bright. Which will still be much brighter than the stock halogen.

#33 ·

The 2 Stock Bulbs are the same.

The reason the high beam "Seems" brighter, is there is the different shape of the reflector inside the housing.

if you look close you can see the HIGH Beam reflector actually has a Side piece missing, which allows more light to come out at a higher angle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.