Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could use help locating the best or proper place to supply power to a set of led accent lights. I would like them to power on only when the key is in the on position. right now I am straight off battery and just use the remote for on and off. any one out there know where I can tap in for power of the key switch?

thanks

kool-aide

·
Registered
155 Posts
You should just leave them wired into a switch or through the remote for legality reasons depending on where you live using led accent lights may not be legal outside of stationary show reasons, but if you really want to start them with the bike you could try looking for the wire for the front triangle as that will be 12v or maybe your tail light or potentially your licence plate lights wiring

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should just leave them wired into a switch or through the remote for legality reasons depending on where you live using led accent lights may not be legal outside of stationary show reasons, but if you really want to start them with the bike you could try looking for the wire for the front triangle as that will be 12v or maybe your tail light or potentially your licence plate lights wiring
thank you, I didn't think of the tail or license plate. they would be on the switch as well, lol.... the kit has a switch but no instructions to wire it. the switch was included by mistake. the official on and off is via remote only.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ideally, you should install a relay to trigger power on from live circuit when ignition is on, but still keep the live power wire connected directly to the battery.
However, I can't see LED lights drawing that much current to cause an issue, so tapping the power from the lights should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kool-aide

How would you rate your CBR300R against The R3
I prefer the way the Honda feels and rides. do I miss the extra power of the R3, yep. they are both light and easy to maneuver. the R3 seat is noticeably narrower and makes it easy for the ladies to plant more foot on the ground. when I want to run fast and disobey all the posted speed limits, R3. When I want to be out on the turns on a Sunday, CBR. I love the breaking on the CBR. The R3 is typical low end Yamaha. you have to give more input to get the same stopping power. Honda, just so easy to get a solid fir stop. from stop light to stop light the torque of the Honda is a joy. For out on a straight road, the R3 gets you moving. I have been able to get the R3 up to 105 single and still hit 103 two up. The CBR single, 98, two up 94. But what I really notice is the torque and where you feel it. You get the Honda's torque down low and through the middle. The R3 is nice on the start but kind of has a lul near the middle then wakes back up. but when it wakes up, it is nice, just not a big wow factor. Both bikes are great. I ride them both, and have fun on both. I enjoy the look of both. I have ridden a few Yamahas, so it fits right in, and is a real Yamaha. The R3 is leaving me ask if the CBR would tune a little more and give us just a little bump. I would love to see about 22 ft lbs of torque and about 36 hp and a rev limit of 11.5. that would be a kick butt CBR. The only thing that kept me from buying a CBR500R was cost and weight. the lil 300s are just so much fun and so affordable. the CBR500R didn't wow me and make me want to buy over the 300. My girlfriend loves the R3. She loves the narrow seat, and feels it handles well. We both would love a couple of features from the CBR on the R3, the breaking is number 1. We would like rear grab bars for a tail net or a passenger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kool-aide

How would you rate your CBR300R against The R3
we do enjoy the Yamaha clutch. it catches early and not too hard to pull. it makes for nice fast quick shifts. we had to get use to it. the Honda is a very light pull but is further in. being a very light pull negates the fact it takes more grab to engage. the R3 is more annoying when you are used to a full squeeze. sitting at a light in gear with have a clutch pull gets annoying. and if you take a full grab, then you have to remember it won't let out until your near the end. all in all, they are both 300s, both entry level, both affordable, and both fun. I was disappointed in the R3 front forks. if Yamaha is gong to market 41mm forks when no one else in class has it. then have them perform better. they feel just as soft as the CBR. I was not impressed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ideally, you should install a relay to trigger power on from live circuit when ignition is on, but still keep the live power wire connected directly to the battery.
However, I can't see LED lights drawing that much current to cause an issue, so tapping the power from the lights should be fine.
I need to break down and find a diagram for the switch and install it. but I agree with everyone. thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
we do enjoy the Yamaha clutch. it catches early and not too hard to pull. it makes for nice fast quick shifts. we had to get use to it. the Honda is a very light pull but is further in. being a very light pull negates the fact it takes more grab to engage. the R3 is more annoying when you are used to a full squeeze. sitting at a light in gear with have a clutch pull gets annoying. and if you take a full grab, then you have to remember it won't let out until your near the end. all in all, they are both 300s, both entry level, both affordable, and both fun. I was disappointed in the R3 front forks. if Yamaha is gong to market 41mm forks when no one else in class has it. then have them perform better. they feel just as soft as the CBR. I was not impressed.
Thanks for the report.

I had a 2012 CBR250R but found it to be under-powered at only 23 HP and it had a top end engine rattle from new that worried me. Seemed to have been typical for that year model. There was also a vibration/buzzing in the fairing panels, too, that I was never able to get rid of. I traded it in on a CB500X and set that up as a real adventure bike (minus spoked wheels).

It sounds like the 300 is a big improvement over the 250...I'll have to see about a test ride on one. I like the looks of the 2015 Black/Hi Viz Yellow one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts