Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After breaking my clutch lever, I might as well upgrade vs picking up a factory lever. The clutch and brake levers are something that you touch over and over again when you ride, so if it feels better then I’m for that kind of upgrade.

I was looking at CRG RC2’s or Puig if I want to spend the money. Is the cost of those worth it for a street only bike, no track days?

I know the tolerances of the china made ebay levers won’t match either of those I listed, so I guess my question is are there any Ebay levers that are an upgrade over stock? Or are they all crap. I don’t need track ready levers, but I will spend $100 per lever if I have to for a decent set.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know the tolerances of the china made ebay levers won’t match either of those I listed, so I guess my question is are there any Ebay levers that are an upgrade over stock? Or are they all crap. I don’t need track ready levers, but I will spend $100 per lever if I have to for a decent set.
I've got a pair of adjustable Chinese levers that I'm really happy with. The quality and finish is just as good as some high end levers I've seen and used. I wouldn't normally skimp out on something safety critical like levers but I thought I would give them a go and I'm pleased I did.

Same pair (dark grey ones) for $24 USD delivered.
Good pair.jpg

I also bought another pair of a different design since they were both so cheap to compare and I can safely say this pair was terrible and I didn't end up using or selling them as I would not want another rider using them either. They were wobbly and the lever angle as you squeeze them in was crooked.

I don't have a link to the bad pair but have the item description below.
Bad pair.PNG

·
Registered
78 Posts
Chinese levers are a gamble. Just as you said the tolerances are way off. Avoid them. If you can't afford CRG or similar quality, it's better go stock OEM. They are better than Chinese ones.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Not sure how much you're willing to pay for a quality set of levers. The link below is for Norton Motorsports. They're one of this Forum's vendors, and a have been involved in improving the R3's performance since it's original release. I've never heard anything negative about any of their work or products. These are not as cheap as over sea's knock-offs, but are well below the costs of some other well made levers.
https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/nortonfab-motorsports-34-length-adjustable-folding-race-levers-yamaha-r3-2015/

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure how much you're willing to pay for a quality set of levers. The link below is for Norton Motorsports. They're one of this Forum's vendors, and a have been involved in improving the R3's performance since it's original release. I've never heard anything negative about any of their work or products. These are not as cheap as over sea's knock-offs, but are well below the costs of some other well made levers.
https://www.norton-motorsports.com/product/nortonfab-motorsports-34-length-adjustable-folding-race-levers-yamaha-r3-2015/
I have checked those out, they are on my radar for sure. Wonder if they are still doing those for $99 for forum members like they were at one point, might just have to pull the trigger on them if so.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'd steer clear of any Chinese parts that mission critical... Quality control is hit or miss and that's not something I'd like to gamble on. Paying an extra $100 for the real deal is cheap compared to hospital and repair bills.

·
Registered
339 Posts
✓ THIS! I bought a Chinese lever set on Ebay that had been recommended by several riders here. Maybe they got lucky, but mine were junk. It is always a crap shoot. Then I bought Norton levers.

Moral of the story:. Buy Chinese? Save Once, but Buy Twice.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've done the cheap/Ebay lever route before,..... I never had an issue. I never understood why people bought premium levers? I recently bought Vortex levers for my R3 from Revzilla. They had them on sale for $63 per lever. I will NEVER go back to cheapy leavers again! The feel of the Vortex levers is so much better. The tolerances are tighter, and they don't feel "sloppy" like the cheap levers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Watch this before deciding to buy cheap clutch/brake levers
The front brake locking up issue has come up with radial brake master cylinders/brakes.

Our R3's have axial master cylinders/brakes.

Brain Van mentions this in another video when he is installing CRG levers on a R3.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The front brake locking up issue has come up with radial brake master cylinders/brakes.

Our R3's have axial master cylinders/brakes.

Brain Van mentions this in another video when he is installing CRG levers on a R3.
The point of the video was to show that cheap levers are poor quality. It's just not worth the risk to cheap out on. You don't want the lever to break or get stuck due to the lack of precision in machining.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts