Yamaha R3 Forums banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts
I think Mobil 1 synthetic degraded in quality a few years back, when all the competitors started cheating to lower costs. They basically said, look we have to follow suit, at least they were public about it.

Guys, been using the search but nothing yet. Let's dump it here;

I've had the 1000km(600miles) oil change
Now i'm at 5000km(3000miles) and the dashboard keeps screaming oil. One fellow other R3 rider says it stops at 6000 km's but it's still annoying and confusing at the same time. The manual says after 10000km's i've gotta change the oil but with the winter coming up in one week it might be better to change the oil now.

What do you guys think, don't know what's right now since everyone in my environment's saying different sht.

Thanks in advance
Did you reset the Oil indicator after the change?

Don't know if I read it on here (too lazy to go back through 11 pages) but Motul 300V is for race engines and the 7100 series is for regular riding. I think there is less detergent in the race oil cause it's not going to be in there as long. I just wonder if the 7100 series is as much of a synthetic as the 300 series oil ester wise.

300v can be used at least for 3000 miles /5000kms on street which is the service interval of R3. Can't wait to use it for next service. Currently running on 7100 10w40. It's smooth and responsive but I'd expect more from the bike.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Just changed my oil today at ~ 3,600 miles to Motul 300V 10W-40 and man only rode for 15 or so miles, but the bike feels so much smoother. Oil can really make a difference, it was expensive oil, but worth it.

How much did you pay a quart and how long do you plan to keep it in?
http://www.amazon.com/Motul-300V-Competition-Synthetic-Oil/dp/B000VJPUNW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1462839587&sr=8-3&keywords=motul+300v 4L is way more than you need, (I believe manual states 2.1L w/ filter change) but it was much better pricing then picking it up from Cycle Gear ($18.99/qt) or the Yamaha dealer local to me.

Also, I plan on replacing it every 3,000 or so miles, nothing more than that for sure.

Motul 300v is top-line oil. It won't break down, but it will still get dirty over time.
I wouldn't take it past 5k max. I typically change my bike oil at 3k. But I have two bikes, and I don't ride them everyday, so it takes a long time for me to put 3k miles on a bike.

With Motul full synthetic I would not be afraid to go 7500 miles. I change more often because mine is a race bike and runs at constant high RPMs. Changing at 3000 miles for street riding is overkill IMO.
Awesome, good to know and thank you for the info. I was just basing it off of my manual, I figured since it's completely different oil I might be able to get more out of what I'm buying.

I was going to say, with the full synthetic Motul 7500 that I used after break-in, I'm planning to go double the kms (around 10k km or 6k mls) before a change. The conditions in which I ride are generally not so severe: almost no stop-and-go, not so many frequent cold starts, and only the occasional high rpm run on weekends. It rarely gets over 30°C where I live too.

Luckily, the motorcycle dealer closest to me is also a Motul dealer so I just picked up the 7500 Synthetic from them @ 17 $/litre. Runs and shifts lovely.

Awesome, good to know and thank you for the info. I was just basing it off of my manual, I figured since it's completely different oil I might be able to get more out of what I'm buying.
Just remember, if you are running a lot of high RPMs or in really high temps I would change the oil more often. If you are just commuting with low RPMs and not running in high temps, that is when I would use the oil longer.

High RPMs and high temps will break the oil down faster than just around town cruising.

Did an oil analysis just to get a feel for the service intervals for synthetic oil, since the owner's manual has intervals based on mineral oil.

Since this is my first bike, I played it safe and ran 8k km on it. Based on these results, I am comfortable running 10k intervals, or twice as long as that for mineral oil.

That said your results may vary. In many respects my bike gets operated under "optimal conditions". It's mainly a weekend toy; some errand-running, a few trackdays. Ambient témperatures 15-30°C; fuelled with RON 95-98 (91-93 AKI) no ethanol fuel.

Attachments

I'm going to do my first oil change on my R3 when I winterize my bike tomorrow. It has 6500km on it (2500kms since last oil change). I am debating whether or not to use Motul 7100 10w40 full synthetic or Yamalube. The previous owner did a Yamalube oil change prior to selling me the bike, but I think a nice full synth oil would be better for it.
Open the link below:
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/d...oup=MC&unitYear=2016&items_per_page=12&page=1
Yamaha recommends this oil change kit for the R3, but it's not synthetic oil. This is a SUPER affordable price for a full oil change kit here in Canada.
What do you guys think?

I'm going to do my first oil change on my R3 when I winterize my bike tomorrow. It has 6500km on it (2500kms since last oil change). I am debating whether or not to use Motul 7100 10w40 full synthetic or Yamalube. The previous owner did a Yamalube oil change prior to selling me the bike, but I think a nice full synth oil would be better for it.
Open the link below:
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/eshop/d...oup=MC&unitYear=2016&items_per_page=12&page=1
Yamaha recommends this oil change kit for the R3, but it's not synthetic oil. This is a SUPER affordable price for a full oil change kit here in Canada.
What do you guys think?
Go for it. I've used Yamalube because the pricing isn't bad at all. If I have some spare change, I'll run with full synth.

101 - 120 of 156 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.