Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had any experience adjusting the brake and clutch lever angle? I feel I'll be in a better position if the levers are angled downward slightly.

Looking at the brake side assembly it appears that if you adjust the lever angle it will also move the master cylinder off the stock level position. Is that the case? Does it matter?

Thanks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have quite a bit of angle in mine. I put Vortex clipons on and had to angle them quite a bit actually to get the most clearing for the fairing.

·
Registered
135 Posts
yes, I adjusted mine as well. the less motion, or effort for your fingers to manipulate the levers, gives you more focused concentration on the task of riding and a more ergonomic/comfort feel. 'Its like a finger pointing a way to the moon. Dont concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.' - Bruce Lee.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you guys find that in order to get the brake lever pointed more downwards, the brake lever perch needed to slide outwards a bit in order to get the required clearance from the clip-on clamp? Any issues with moving that perch outwards towards the grip?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this is an old post but wanted to try this ever since purchasing my 2019. I wanted to rotate the front brake lever down just a little as I felt my right wrist needed to rotate upwards a bit to grab the front lever. So I tried to rotate the brake lever down but there's almost no adjustability before the brake reservoir contacts the clipons (like a couple mm).

Does anyone know if actually changing the levers to another brand would allow any more movement or adjustability? The reach to the front brake is fine for me with the stock levers but it needs to be angled downward just a little.

thanks!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Does anyone know if actually changing the levers to another brand would allow any more movement or adjustability
I got a shorty brake lever and since the issue is the master cylinder, it didn't do anything. I wish I could point it down more, but I have to slide down the Master cylinder out of the way somehow. I can't see how since that rectangle box is massive for the bar. I need like another 5mm of space i think.
I'm assuming most riders eventually swap out their master cylinders/brakes to some more appropriate.

·
Super Moderator
1,176 Posts
I'm assuming most riders eventually swap out their master cylinders/brakes to some more appropriate.
I don't have the skills to ride on the race track. I've never owned a bike I needed to 'upgrade' the master cylinder. The R3 is no exception. I do replace front and rear brake lines with a quality set of stainless steel lines, but that's it. Folks riding more aggressively may feel they need additional stopping power. But as old and slow as I am, and with the R3's OEM over-the-top engine brake... I could almost foot drag it to a stop. :whistle:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't have the skills to ride on the race track. I've never owned a bike I needed to 'upgrade' the master cylinder. The R3 is no exception. I do replace front and rear brake lines with a quality set of stainless steel lines, but that's it. Folks riding more aggressively may feel they need additional stopping power. But as old and slow as I am, and with the R3's OEM over-the-top engine brake... I could almost foot drag it to a stop. :whistle:
My dear Airhead83 rider dood..
If If I may be so bold..
I would personally, like to thnx u 4 being mah day #1dood!Gbu&ty4alldahelpmydoods!
gb da sprmodrts!!!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post but wanted to try this ever since purchasing my 2019. I wanted to rotate the front brake lever down just a little as I felt my right wrist needed to rotate upwards a bit to grab the front lever. So I tried to rotate the brake lever down but there's almost no adjustability before the brake reservoir contacts the clipons (like a couple mm).

Does anyone know if actually changing the levers to another brand would allow any more movement or adjustability? The reach to the front brake is fine for me with the stock levers but it needs to be angled downward just a little.

thanks!
The stock clip-ons are the problem in this case not the brake master cylinder. I adjusted my clutch and moved my brake lever down as far as it could go. I will ride like this until I want to invest in some aftermarket clip-ons (about $200) that won’t make contact with the BMC. I think the clip-on size is 47mm for the 2019 and woodcraft makes some. Here is an install video if you’d like to go that route.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts