Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to throw out some observations related to aftermarket levers and ask for (reasonable) input as to how to solve some ongoing issues related to them.

Aftermarket levers seem to be one of the more common mods I'm seeing on the forum. I did a quick check and there are about 20 different threads related to levers. Some of them include good information, others not so much.

I've noticed a lot of members do not want to spend any significant amount of time reviewing previous posts to find what they are looking for so lots of new threads pop up, often with the same questions being asked. Not flaming anyone in particular, but it happens a lot. And I do acknowledge that going through 20 threads is tedious at best, so I get it to a degree. Merging threads doesn't seem to be the solution, as that thread would be extremely long.

In general, quality and cost are all over the place. So here's the question:

In order to make this information more user-friendly, how do we consolidate all this info so that A) we can separate the good from the bad and B) make it a "one stop shopping" resource we can all take advantage of?

The intent of this thread is not to do sales pitches, post links to sources, or get off on a tangent, rather to figure out how to best provide useful info to the membership. Maybe a poll with ratings, maybe an "approved" list, maybe something else. I'm looking for input, so give it a little thought and post up what you think we should do - thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
761 Posts
This ones gonna be hard.

Everyone has different requirements, opinions, and budgets. What might be perfectly fine for one, is gonna be crap to another. We have experience levels from newbie to folks who have ridden 30, 40, 50+ years.

I am willing to pay premium if it fits my requirements and others won't pay more than $30 for a set no matter the fit, function, or quality.

As I am in the market, I will be following this and all the levers threads until I find a set that I like.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think you need to put your own review
That would be fine, if you or someone else wants to buy me all the levers that are available and give me another R3 to test them with. Mine is a track/race only bike, and I don't think it's reasonable for me to test possible junk levers under those conditions. I won't do it, sorry. We'll need to figure out another approach.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I mean your short personal review based on others writing and possibly a vote. What levers do you use?

·
Super Moderator
1,391 Posts
And I do acknowledge that going through 20 threads is tedious at best, so I get it to a degree.
What about an FAQ on different, common mods? Then post links to commonly purchased mods with pros / cons for each item?

I'm probably one of the guys that will try to actually read through all the 20 threads before I form my own opinions and then pull the trigger on buying something.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My .02 cents

@Stirz

I fully understand your concern and or frustration with any topic where the question(s) have been repeatedly asked. If your peave is truly levers (or any subject with excessive inquiry), I suggest you: 1) create its own subforum category, 2) redirect any misplaced new threads to the correct subforum, 3a) merge new threads you deem a repeat into an existing one, 3b) close new threads you deem a repeat. In any of these cases, I know that you will include link(s) to existing information as you always do.

And just to get my moneys worth of .02 cents.....reconsider New Member minimums. A minimum post count and/or minimum membership duration before the ability to creating a new thread (except Introductions). I would like to think new members now have to read through existing threads, participate in discussions, and contribute useful information before getting the answers to the test. Now, what these minimums should be...I have no idea. Someone came up with a minimum before being able to PM, I'd like know why.

Randy

·
Registered
761 Posts
@Stirz

I fully understand your concern and or frustration with any topic where the question(s) have been repeatedly asked. If your peave is truly levers (or and subject with excessive inquiry), I suggest you: 1) create its own subforum category, 2) redirect any misplaced new threads to the correct subforum, 3a) merge new threads you deem a repeat into an existing one, 3b) close new threads you deem a repeat. In any of these cases, I know that you will include link(s) to existing information as you always do.
I like this! More Sub Categories...

Levers..
Rearsets..
Fairings..
Clip Ons & Grips..
Fender Eliminators..

And a few more categories I have likely missed!

This way, the moderators could easily move them into the proper folders if they are posted in the wrong place.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Possibly a sticky instead of sub threads?

We can just have "rearset buyers guide" "lever buyers guide " etc.

This certainly won't stop newbies with no experience on forums from making new threads, but it will give mods a place to move those threads and consolidate the info. They'll also be right at the very top of the mod section, so it would be easier for people to find

It's going to be too hard to categorize what's good and what isn't. Crg or r3 racing levers are the kind of thing the experienced guys want. 20 dollar eBay levers are plenty good for someone just putting about on their bike and want to change the color. The opinion will be all over the place

1 - 9 of 9 Posts