Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I am about to pull the trigger on a R3 (2019-2021).
What sliders should I get?
Handle bar, front axle, and rear axle?
Any recommendations?

Thank you.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Here's a write up of my recent experience with sliders! Hope it helps.

Frame sliders
I ended up going with Woodcraft cut frame sliders. The reason I went for cut (as opposed to no-cut) sliders is because they provide better protection and are mounted structurally. Woodcraft are a very good brand and provide cheap replacement pucks if need be. The only downside is that they didn't provided templates to mark out the holes like some of the other cut frame slider brands do which made it a pain. I also personally think they look less conspicuous than some of the no-cut sliders which stick out like knee rests..

Cut
Pros:
  • Mounted structurally to the engine mount
  • Better protection in the even of a slide or drop
Cons:
  • Harder to install
  • You have to cut a permanent hole in your fairing
No-cut
Pros:
  • Easier to mount
  • There's a wider range of styles available
Cons:
  • Depending on the design they are more likely to fail and/or do damage to your bike's frame
  • Straight no-cut sliders as opposed to offset sliders need to stick out much further in order to clear the widest part of the fairing

Axle sliders
I went with Woodcraft front and rear axle sliders because those are the ones that Norton offer, so I purchased them along with my frame sliders. The installation was pretty easy. I don't have too much to say about axle sliders as they're a pretty simple part. As long as you get the through axle design as apposed to something that just mounts to the nuts you should be fine.

Bar ends
I bought cheap eBay bar end weights that double up as bar end sliders to help with vibrations in my hands. I never ended up fitting them because they required the internals of the bar ends to be removed which ended up weighing more than the bar end weights - thus defeating their purpose. I'm unsure if proper branded ones require the internals of your handle bar ends to be removed.

My main advice is to go with a proper brand such as Woodcraft, T-Rex, Womet-Tech, TST, etc rather than Chinese knock-offs. Knock-offs are usually pretty universal and aren't specifically designed for the R3. You could potentially do more damage to your bike in the event of a crash, e.g. sliders snagging and flipping your bike, or damaging the mount on your bike's frame from the force of the crash.

·
Registered
313 Posts
The Woodcraft frame sliders do NOT work on the 2019+ R3 (with OEM bodywork). I actually spoke with Eric Wood- President of Woodcraft, and he told me that directly..... I would recommend a "cut" style slider. I ended up going with TST Industries/Womet-tech "cut" style sliders. They are very similar to Woodcraft, but offset just enough to clear the body panels properly. You can watch the install video on YouTube. I would also recommend getting some case sliders as well. I put T-Rex on both my R3, as well as my FZ-07. They are pretty thick, and actually offer a little bit of water pump protection as well (because of the thickness). Hope that helps-

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
I'm not pushing sales here... but I have a link to the vendor 'cornerslider' mentioned above.. "T-Rex". It shows their complete offering for the R3.. 2015-2021 models. They have different kits for the different years, so you'll need to verify your looking at the correct year. But they're well marked.
2015 - 2019 (t-rex-racing.com)

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
I wasn't aware Yamaha had any OEM sliders or the R3. Can you provide us a link?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I wasn't aware Yamaha had any OEM sliders or the R3. Can you provide us a link?
I think they'll be referring to these, which I believe there's a thread on this forum where a member bought and installed them. The certainly look good, but I'm unsure how they'd shape up compared to 'normal' sliders.

I also noticed they have these as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Here is a list of protections I have for my R3 to answer your questions and help out:

• Bar Ends Womet-Tech from TST Indust.
  • No Cut Frame Sliders from T-Rex
  • Engine Case Cover from T-Rex
  • Front Axel Frame Slider from eBay
  • Spools on rear from eBay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts