Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all will be taking ownership of my blue R3 next week :) I'm from the UK so license restrictions have only just allowed me to move onto a bigger bike and I actually wanted to keep this one for a while. So far for the bike I have Akra carbon slip on, shorty levers, and a vagabond tail tidy. I think the bike looks stunning as it is so I have a few other things I will get but in a short while so I'm not spending so much so soon! Dark smoke sports screen, rear seat cowl and frame sliders. I'll upload a couple pics when I get it sorted!

Turn signals - I think they look awful on this bike, was wondering if the R125 indicators would be plug in and play? Would like signals which don't require any other components.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate. All the upgrades you mentioned above are all essential. R&G is from the UK so it might be worth the efford to look into their parts aswell.

Keep us updated, cheers

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Hey all will be taking ownership of my blue R3 next week :) I'm from the UK so license restrictions have only just allowed me to move onto a bigger bike and I actually wanted to keep this one for a while. So far for the bike I have Akra carbon slip on, shorty levers, and a vagabond tail tidy. I think the bike looks stunning as it is so I have a few other things I will get but in a short while so I'm not spending so much so soon! Dark smoke sports screen, rear seat cowl and frame sliders. I'll upload a couple pics when I get it sorted!

Turn signals - I think they look awful on this bike, was wondering if the R125 indicators would be plug in and play? Would like signals which don't require any other components.

Looking forward to chatting with you all.
R125 signals mount differently than the signals on the other YZF Yamahas, so won't fit.

Here's a diagram showing the R125 mount. Uses a screw from the top/outer side into the fairing. R3 doesn't.

r125.jpg

·
Registered
230 Posts
Nitron rear shock. Skip the noise maker. Those are my recommendations.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Nitron rear shock. Skip the noise maker. Those are my recommendations.
Great shock, but it's EXTREMELY hard to justify spending $1,100.00 on a rear shock for street riding on a $5,000.00 motorcycle.

For racing, sure, if you have deep enough pockets. It's a superb shock.

IF you need a better rear shock (that's certainly not a given on the R3) go for the YSS fully adjustable one and save $700. The YSS is still WAY more than the R3 NEEDS for street riding.

This YSS one is fully adjustable and only $377.86 plus shipping.

https://bikerzbits.com/mx366-275trcl...ha-r3-yzf.html

Shipping to the U.S. is:
Thailand Post Surface Mail ~ 2 - 3 Months $31.04
Thailand Post SAL (Economy Airmail) ~ 1 Month $52.36
Thailand Post Airmail ~ 5-14 days $80.70

·
Registered
230 Posts
Where are you seeing such prices? These are Nitron for the FZ07. I can't see how the R3 prices would be much different. Nothing wrong with YSS, but Nitron is local to him. That's why I mentioned it.
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Nitron_Shock_Absorbers_for_Yamaha_Motorcycles.html

Nitron Sport (NTR1) : 400GBP
Nitron Track (NTR2) : 550GBP

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Matris-Spor...or-Yamaha-YZF300-R3-2015-Onward-/131558313087
Matris with 150GBP preload adjuster = 633GBP, so 480GBP base model which is still high (I blame the merchant in question).

Proper suspension pays dividends no matter how fast or slow you're riding. Race tracks are smooth compared to A let alone B roads. So one could argue that suspension is way more important for street riding than racing. A slip-on on the R3 is just a total waste of money performance-wise. Don't spend it and he's halfway (more?) to getting the suspension working as it should.

But it's @Baver_96's money and I don't know what his value system is. If noise matters, probably get most of the way there by drilling/coring the OEM muffler.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Where are you seeing such prices? These are Nitron for the FZ07. I can't see how the R3 prices would be much different.
http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Nitron_Shock_Absorbers_for_Yamaha_Motorcycles.html

Nitron Sport (NTR1) : 400GBP
Nitron Track (NTR2) : 550GBP
1st of all, those prices are in British Pounds Sterling. You might be able to get the Nitron's for less if you could find an EU reseller that drops out the VAT tax for non-EU buyers, but the extra cost of shipping would probably offset that anyway, so back to square one.

First link you added doesn't show ANY listings for the R3. Does show listing for the MT-07/FZ-07. And that Matris shock (another great shock) is $1,030.00 shipped for a pre-load only shock, though it does have hydraulic pre-load adjustment.

Nitron UK doesn't have a listing for the R3, so I checked Nitron USA. They show $1,075.00 for the NTR3.

http://www.nitronracingshocks.com/Nitron-NTR-R3-Yamaha-_p_656.html

And $975.00 for the NTR2.

http://www.nitronracingshocks.com/Nitron-NTR-R2-Yamaha_p_655.html

The NTR1, their basic shock (with preload only) is $699.00

http://www.nitronracingshocks.com/Nitron-NTR-R1-Yamaha_p_654.html

If wanted, hydraulic pre-load adjuster adds $275.00 to any one of these.

Webike's prices are even higher on the Nitron's and seem to be one of the only resellers who have them and no-one seems to be discounting them curently. That could change.....

So, you can get a pre-load only NTR1 for $700 plus shipping (though Nitron doesn't currently have a listing for the R3 on this one), or a fully adjustable 3-way YSS for $400, shipped.

The YSS pre-load only shock is just $300.00 shipped. Save $400 over the Nitron pre-load only one.

If you want the 3-way Nitron shock, it's about $1,100.00 shipped. The equivalent YSS shock saves you $710.00.

YSS shocks are VERY high quality. Designed by Dutch and German suspension engineers in Australia who have 25+ years experience. The low cost is due to them being manufactured in Thailand.

I personally think the stock R3 shock is perfectly adequate for everything except aggressive street riding and track use, and possibly not adequate for either very light or very heavy riders.

Someone tried drilling/coring the stock muffler and it had almost no effect since probably 90%+ of the silencing is done down in the collecter box under the frame. No muffler at all is barely louder than with the stock muffler in place.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, I'm aware that Nitron doesn't list an R3 application on their website. neither does Matris, nor several other providers, yet the SKU exists. I don't know why but these outfits frequently don't keep their public applications lists updated. Talk about lost sales opportunities...

For example http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12999&prodID=76747 is GBP460 for a NTR2 style shock for a bike in the same weight class and price point. So it stands to reason the R3 application should be priced similarly. GBP330 for the NTR1 style strikes me as perfectly reasonable.

I'm quoting GBP because the OP is in the UK. Dollar comparisons aren't that useful.

I'm not arguing with you that a YSS is very good on price per feature. A UK-built shock priced for USA consumers is not going to be a bargain within the USA.
BTW, maybe you'd find this useful. http://propilotsuspension.com/wp-co..._USA_New_Format_Price_List_2014_No_Harley.pdf

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Yes, I'm aware that Nitron doesn't list an R3 application on their website. neither does Matris, nor several other providers, yet the SKU exists. I don't know why but these outfits frequently don't keep their public applications lists updated. Talk about lost sales opportunities...

For example http://www.nitron.co.uk/catalogue_item.php?catID=12999&prodID=76747 is GBP460 for a NTR2 style shock for a bike in the same weight class and price point. So it stands to reason the R3 application should be priced similarly. GBP330 for the NTR1 style strikes me as perfectly reasonable.

I'm quoting GBP because the OP is in the UK. Dollar comparisons aren't that useful.

I'm not arguing with you that a YSS is very good on price per feature. A UK-built shock priced for USA consumers is not going to be a bargain within the USA.
BTW, maybe you'd find this useful. http://propilotsuspension.com/wp-co..._USA_New_Format_Price_List_2014_No_Harley.pdf

The US site does have R3 listings. It seems their North American corporate brothers are better at keeping things up to date.

Having a US site hopefully means cheaper shipping, at least. UK sellers usually really gouge on the shipping and only VERY RARELY drop the 20% VAT for non-UK buyers.

Also, I'm still waiting to hear back from RacingBros on how much their new Shicane HLR shock for the R3 costs.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Anyone know where I can get some decent aftermarket turn signals, my only gripe lol.
... AND... How do I change my oil?

I know this horse is dead, but I will continue to kick it. The little magnifying glass in the corner of your screen is for searching stuff. Search stuff. Use keywords. Good luck.
Wait, ... you're okay with the mirrors?
(please don't ban me from threads like you oughta do with Aufitt [LOL]).

·
Registered
732 Posts
Feng, has anyone installed the YSS and reviewed it on here?

I definitely want to put a rear shock on, even for an R3. Put one on my FZR600, and granted, it was like $400-$500 years ago, but was a world of difference.

The Nitro is $1,100, Spears has a beautiful one for $899, and the Ohlins YA467, which is hard to find in the States sells for around $1000. However, BikerBitz has an Ohlins S46HRCL listed for $567! That's a good value. Not sure of the differences in the Ohlins models.

If the YSS is a viable upgrade, then the price point is compelling and makes it a budget friendly upgrade. I would love to hear riders reviews on all of these shocks.

As far as upgrades, I am going to do the following and would recoomend them

-Fender Elimiator Kit
-Full Exhaust (I don't like Slip-Ons as much)
-PCV with R3 spec mappings (Overkill on R3 but can make a difference. If you've got the loot, why not?)
-Air Filter upgrade
-RG Racing Downpipe Grill & Radiator Guards
-Wood Craft Rear Sets
-Maybe some Steel Braided brake lines & some EBC Extreme Perf Brake Pads-if you up to HP, maybe you should up teh stopping power, no?
-Tank Protector
-Kick stand shoe-to expand footprint for hot asphalt
-After OEM tires wear out get some good ones like maybe some Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's
-Get a Scorpio alarm or good Kryptonite Lock-sucks getting your bike ripped off!
-Don't skimp on Helmet or Rider Protection Armor

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
Feng, has anyone installed the YSS and reviewed it on here?

I definitely want to put a rear shock on, even for an R3. Put one on my FZR600, and granted, it was like $400-$500 years ago, but was a world of difference.

The Nitro is $1,100, Spears has a beautiful one for $899, and the Ohlins YA467, which is hard to find in the States sells for around $1000. However, BikerBitz has an Ohlins S46HRCL listed for $567! That's a good value. Not sure of the differences in the Ohlins models.

If the YSS is a viable upgrade, then the price point is compelling and makes it a budget friendly upgrade. I would love to hear riders reviews on all of these shocks.

As far as upgrades, I am going to do the following and would recoomend them

-Fender Elimiator Kit
-Full Exhaust (I don't like Slip-Ons as much)
-PCV with R3 spec mappings (Overkill on R3 but can make a difference. If you've got the loot, why not?)
-Air Filter upgrade
-RG Racing Downpipe Grill & Radiator Guards
-Wood Craft Rear Sets
-Maybe some Steel Braided brake lines & some EBC Extreme Perf Brake Pads-if you up to HP, maybe you should up teh stopping power, no?
-Tank Protector
-Kick stand shoe-to expand footprint for hot asphalt
-After OEM tires wear out get some good ones like maybe some Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's
-Get a Scorpio alarm or good Kryptonite Lock-sucks getting your bike ripped off!
-Don't skimp on Helmet or Rider Protection Armor
No feedback on the YSS shocks so far. Even if someone has bought one, it's probably too soon, considering the International shipping required, for anyone to have one installed yet.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Old thread with new question. The Bikerz bits website states that purchaser is liable for custom fees. Has anyone ordered a shock from Bikerz bits and can comment on the cost of customs import to the USA? Also, a post further up, mentions various cheaper shipping options from Bikerz Bits, however, keep in mind that only Fedex can ship shock absorbers so the shipping charge for one shock via Fedex is about $88.00 USD (quote for shipping Thailand to Texas).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Old thread - but an update on Nitron.
My local suspension shop is pushing for the Nitron R1 which are readily available unlike the supply delays in my city for the k-tech, yss and ohlins. (I can get them from the USA or a different province but the shipping cost and install charges push it out of my budget)
Nitron now has one for the R3 listed on their official site. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this shock for next season!
Price quoted for now is $900cad+local tax+install. Very well priced IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Old thread - but an update on Nitron.
My local suspension shop is pushing for the Nitron R1 which are readily available unlike the supply delays in my city for the k-tech, yss and ohlins. (I can get them from the USA or a different province but the shipping cost and install charges push it out of my budget)
Nitron now has one for the R3 listed on their official site. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this shock for next season!
Price quoted for now is $900cad+local tax+install. Very well priced IMO.
Nothing like refreshing and old thread. I have pulled the trigger on a Nitron R1 with the HPA unit to make it easier to set preload from Solo to Pillion settings. My partner bought me this bike and loves going for rides with me as well, so hence the HPA. Also fitting the YSS fork upgrade kit to the OEM forks. It is great to be getting back into riding again after a 26 year break.

Cheers B Lo

1 - 17 of 17 Posts