Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was the longest ride you ever took just stopping for fuel and something to eat. I myself in 1980 rode a Honda 750 from Birdsboro, PA to Boynton Beach, Florida, stopping 9 times for fuel and a quick sandwich. Made the 1270 mile trip in 26 hours.

·
Registered
460 Posts
You could have had your Iron Butt 1000 mile in 24 hours out of that ride. I ride 470 miles each way every year from Syracuse to Mid Ohio to camp at the AMA Vintage Days.

And am planning a 1015 mile day to get my badge in May to attend Mercedes training in Birmingham, AL.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Lol, I think my longest ride was 2 hours :)
But I got R3 (first bike) last summer, even after an hour my butt was starting to really feel the seat,
I'm guessing you get used to it, or R3 just has a crappy seat :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
My longest trip was like 10 hours and 460 kms...this was on a Royal Enfield...this was in 2001.
In case you are wondering why only 460 ..remember I am from India (poor /un safe roads) and my bike is pretty beaten up.

I can't wait to let go on my R3 though..

regards,
jawed

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
There's an urban legend about a group that did an unpublicized 24 hour distance event (so it's not 'published' on the interwebz), but the details were that a number of bikes were set up with calibrated odometers and GPS, ran on public roads and did just over 2400 miles. 2nd place only did 2388, or so the story goes.

The current official record is 2023 miles in 24 hours - done in South Africa. Iron Butt guys routinely do over 1000, but often have hyper-mile modifications like way oversize gas tanks, pee bottles and other niceties. For most, 500 miles is a LONG day.

·
Premium Member
2,264 Posts
There's an urban legend about a group that did an unpublicized 24 hour distance event (so it's not 'published' on the interwebz), but the details were that a number of bikes were set up with calibrated odometers and GPS, ran on public roads and did just over 2400 miles. 2nd place only did 2388, or so the story goes.

The current official record is 2023 miles in 24 hours - done in South Africa. Iron Butt guys routinely do over 1000, but often have hyper-mile modifications like way oversize gas tanks, pee bottles and other niceties. For most, 500 miles is a LONG day.
Hard to imagine averaging 100mph for 24 hrs. straight without getting stopped by LEOs, though I guess if you did get stopped you could just crank up the speed for a bit to compensate.....

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My 1270 mile run was a one time only . My butt was so sore from my pants not breathing over the seat that taking a shower felt like my butt was on fire for the first 3 days after. I normally take 100 mile excursions just to cruise.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A standard day off for me was 8-10 hours and 375-420 miles. With the black hills so close its hard not to ride all day.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts