Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, So I need some input.... I was originally set on a 2017 Blue R3 ($6100cdn) but I am having second thoughts. I have found a 2015 Black R3 ($4660cdn) that's still new at the dealer for about $1400 less. So in your opinions is the 2 year newer bike worth the extra $1200? From everything I have read the bike had no real changes over the years so I am basically just paying for the year.

Now to really throw a wrench into the mix I found a used 2015 with 3800kms on it for $3500. But the owner said it had been dropped once but was repaired. Pictures look good but I'm not convinced on buying used. I kinda want to be the first one to wreck stuff...

I do really like the blue color combo on the 17 but the more pictures I see of peoples black R3's the more I like them too.

Any help/guidance is appreciated. And not that it makes much of a difference but the plans for the bike are to keep it and ride it myself until I can convince the wife to get her licence. Then she will get it and I will get a different/new sub 400cc bike.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The extra money over a newer bike in the same generation is, in my opinion, never worth it. I do not like the matte gray bikes. I don't hate it, I just feel it looks like primer almost lol. Guess what color my bike is? Gray, because it was what was available at the time when I was looking for a new bike. If the color matters that much, then sure, spend the extra money for the new bike with different colors. Or just buy a new set of fairings. They are cheap on this bike anyways.

If you get a new sub 400 bike, get the new cbr250rr and let me know how it works out! I was waiting for that bike here but they didn't release it so I bought another r3. Smaller actually. R25.

Edit:not sure how easy licensing is for you, but it's relatively easy in the states. With your logic you could be turning the keys over to the wife in a few weeks. The R3 is worth keeping for much longer IMO.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For her to get her licence she needs to take a weekend course and then pass the tests... Getting her licence wouldn't be the hard part. Convincing her its a good idea and that she should do it is where I am going to run into difficulties. Plus they don't even start offering the courses until mid May up here. And I may end up on an R3 as well, I mean matching bikes may be the convincing factor to get her to get that licence lol.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
For her to get her licence she needs to take a weekend course and then pass the tests... Getting her licence wouldn't be the hard part. Convincing her its a good idea and that she should do it is where I am going to run into difficulties. Plus they don't even start offering the courses until mid May up here. And I may end up on an R3 as well, I mean matching bikes may be the convincing factor to get her to get that licence lol.
The R3 is a good bike weather you keep it or give it to her, but if she doesn't want to ride/shouldnt then I wouldn't press the issue. Some people aren't made to ride.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I wouldn't spend the extra on the color difference but I'm sure the price is somewhat negotiable. Honestly you can change the fairings out for $500 USD - of course you won't have the blue wheels then :p. There's actually some cool designs for custom fairing kits out there too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For North America, the only really new thing about the 2017 model is that there is optional ABS. Otherwise I'd just get a prior year for less price, assuming the recalls are completed already.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Save the $1400 on the bike (the newer one will just depreciate that much as soon as you title/register it). $1400 will take care of helmet/jacket/gloves/shoes and enough left over for a few mods.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Get the 2015 at the dealer, save the $$, and spend it on riding gear. Probably still have warranty.
Unless your heart is set on blue...but that's a big jump in price for fundamentally the same bike. Plaster it in decals and make it your own.
...but the used with only 3800kms on the odometer could be good too. 3800kms is nothing, unless they've modified the heck out of it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd buy the cheaper one, spend a few hundred bucks on aftermarket fairing and tank covers and keep the original plastics somewhere safe. Then, when it's time to sell the bike, put the original parts back on and advertise it as being in "as new" condition.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I wouldn't buy the one that has been dropped. Here in Ontario my buddy just bought a brand new 2015 r3 for $3999

I like the looks of the 2015s better anyway

Do not buy the 2017

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, sorry. I wasn't clear in my earlier post. When I suggested buying the cheaper one, I was meaning the 2015 black one from the dealer, not the crashed one.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had the same dilemma when I was making the purchase of my bike, luckily I found a blue one lightly used!

I would suggest you purchase what color really attracts you. The satisfaction when you walk out to it and its exactly what you wanted is priceless right there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Imo I never really liked the blue or red version. Seemed a little too goofy for me. I got my black 2015 gently used for $3500 in Toronto. If you are not an extreme racer or rider, take the thought of buying new and throw that right out the window. The extra money in savings is worth it. As long as you inspect that crashed bike (the side that went down) and find that you can fix what was damaged, then no problem buy that. If you want an easier life I suggest going with the one from the dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The only difference now is the ABS that for some guys is worthless for some others is a must this days, so if your a getting the 2017 ABS for 6100$ maybe is a deal but if you are in the other side go for the cheaper 2015.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Just to add, if this is your first bike, it most likely won't be your last. Also, surprised no one has said that if t is your first, you will probably drop it anyways and dropping a new bike sucks. I never did drop my first bike(1999 EX500). I did buy a brand new N650 a few months later and then totaled that though. I was so ready to "move up". Typical rider story. I bought another brand new n650 about two weeks later and though that bike went down a few times, it stayed intact until I sold it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey all. Well I picked up the 2015 New Black R3. 0kms on her and I actually really liked the black once I saw it in person. I've only ever seen a red and blue one before. The black has some sparkle to it. I really like it. The dealership I got it from was awesome too, no surprises when I got there. Paid $4660 cdn out the door so I am more than happy.
Only bad part was by the time I got home it was snowing lightly and cold out. Hope the weather turns fast.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts