Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time rider and at almost 72 years on me, looking for a lighter road bike. Been cross country solo four times (from Pa) on the Virago and loved the experience. Currently own a 98 Virago 1100 and a 2010 TW200. The Virago is just too heavy for me now. Love the TW for around town and for short distances. But want a bike that will keep up with traffic and is fun to ride. So going to check out your forum to see if the R3 might work for me.
Frank

·
Registered
406 Posts
Welcome from England Frank,see if you can get a test ride on an R3 you'll find it fits you like a glove.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you feel the sport fairing look of the R3 clashes with your style, and you also feel the desire to stick with yamaha, you also have the option of the FZ07/MT07. There is about a 30 lbs/13.6kg difference between the two bikes.

I only mention the other bike because going from a Virago to a R3 is a big design and ergonomic difference. Although the R3 is extremely light, there will be some weight reliance/distribution towards your hands. The FZ/MT on the other hand will be closer to your TW200.

Ergonomics definitely should be considered for your comfort as well.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The R3 "looks" sporty, but it's one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever ridden. Really tall people feel a bit cramped on it, but if you are 5' to 5'10" tall, it will fit you nicely. Go to your local dealer and sit on the R3, and then sit on the FZ-07. Try to get a test-ride if you can. See which one you like best.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm 6 foot tall and 76 years old and bought a R3 one month ago and love it.
I have two other bikes a NT700 and a KLR650, they all have their good points.
At 6 foot tall I fit it just fine and the R3 is a real hoot to ride.

·
Super Moderator
1,314 Posts
I sat on all of them, R3 (368 lbs) is the comfy little bike. It doesn't stretch you out, and doesn't need a lowering link in stock form for street usage. If it's too flickable (some might call it twitchy) or not enough whp, try the FZ-07 (397 lbs). It carries weight somewhat higher giving "stability", more upright, and packs a wallop in torque both engine size and low gearing in 1st/2nd, while longs legs in 6th gear for cruising. Both are attractive options.

Seems like the Honda CB500F (420 lbs) also attracts some older riders too, but it's not crazy popular. It's somewhat torquey and excellent mpg, but not an exciting ride some would say. I am guessing your Virago is about 520 pounds wet, so while the Honda is the heaviest I've mentioned, it's still 100 lbs lighter than your Virago.

Is the Kawasaki Z300 coming to USA? I think that's a standard naked using the Ninja 300 engine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts