Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone
I’ve got a 2016 r3. While riding home tonight I noticed the stock headlights aren’t great.
Yea it was a dark road, but the daytime right hand light (front brake side) doesn’t cut it really in any case.
It looks like the right hand light has 2 bulbs in it, but the high beam is a lot brighter than the right side.
I ended up having to ride this road all the way with high beam on.
Has anyone got a good solution to this, like a bulb change out? If so, is it complicated?
Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi everyone
I’ve got a 2016 r3. While riding home tonight I noticed the stock headlights aren’t great.
Yea it was a dark road, but the daytime right hand light (front brake side) doesn’t cut it really in any case.
It looks like the right hand light has 2 bulbs in it, but the high beam is a lot brighter than the right side.
I ended up having to ride this road all the way with high beam on.
Has anyone got a good solution to this, like a bulb change out? If so, is it complicated?
Thanks
Its not that hard, only the clip part is tricky. also, its better to just buy noname led bulbs from amazon...waaay brighter.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Just to be clear. Your motorcycle has two headlamp bulbs. One of them is exclusively the low beam (the other one is off when low beam is selected). The other one is the high beam, but the design of the circuit keeps low beam on when high beam is selected. (The small dim running-lamp at the top between the two main headlight reflectors doesn't count.) Of course, when high beam is selected, one headlamp will "seem brighter" than the other (and which one "seems brighter" will depend on exactly where you are when looking towards the bike ... if you position your eye low enough, the low-beam will "seem brighter" than the high-beam).

·
Registered
300 Posts
Reading the original post again. If the issue is that you cannot see very far ahead, when travelling in a straight line, check your headlight aim. Too high or too low are both bad. If the issue is that you can't see ahead when turning around corners, "that's the way it is" ... some high-end bikes have "cornering lamps" that come on to aim light around turns, but our bikes don't have that feature.

As for replacement of the original halogen bulbs with "something else" ... I gather by the flag under the original poster's name that they are in Australia. Check whether any proposed replacement will pass inspection. (Most LED/HID replacement "bulbs" are of questionable legality at best.) If your local authorities aren't concerned with this, still be careful. 90% of LED replacements for H7 headlamp bulbs are complete rubbish despite the claims made. About 90% of what's left, are okay but no better than stock when you take into account things like glare to oncoming drivers, colour resolution index, beam pattern distribution, etc. They may seem "brighter" but not actually aim the lamp down the road where you actually need the light. The remaining 1% that are actually "better", and have good colour resolution index, and have a good beam pattern, and actually put out more light than stock in a pattern that is useful to you while not aiming into the eyes of oncoming drivers, and which are actually long-lived and reliable ... are really hard to find. One thing is for sure ... the cheapest ones you find online will not be in that category.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update I ended up replacing the original h7 globes with narva sapphire plus 50, which they claim out puts 5000 kelvins. I’m yet to ride the bike at night to see if the money spent was worth it. Thanks for your replies. Oliver

·
Super Moderator
1,154 Posts
Oliver, would you please give us an update on how well the new lamps work? And can you determine if they throw off more heat than OEM lamps? I'm asking, specifically, if there's a lot more heat. Years ago, I melted down a light fixture's plastic housing when I changed to brighter/hotter lamps... but that was years ago, and I'm wondering if the industry has figured how to get brighter... without the heat. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oliver, would you please give us an update on how well the new lamps work? And can you determine if they throw off more heat than OEM lamps? I'm asking, specifically, if there's a lot more heat. Years ago, I melted down a light fixture's plastic housing when I changed to brighter/hotter lamps... but that was years ago, and I'm wondering if the industry has figured how to get brighter... without the heat. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi , the lamps work great, they are narva sapphire 50. Low beam was like high beam on the stock lights. I feel if you were confident on a dark road you should be fine. That’s just my opinion.

I rode tonight and the abs light started to blink, any ideas anyone. I will repost this on another question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts