Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a pair of levers for my 2017 Yamaha R3. They are supposed to be adjustable blue shorty levers. They look great on the bike, but they wobble A WHOLE LOT, and that when I'm just sitting here. It's moreso the brake lever than the clutch. Took it for a brief spin, everything works fine, but the wobbliness of the levers is messing with me. Is it supposed to be that way? Do I need washers to help it better stay put, or should I just go out and buy all new levers??

·
Registered
31 Posts
they shouldn't wobble no, this happens a lot with cheap levers i got my pair from tst and i cant fault them besides them not folding up for the price.

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
If you like the levers you have, get creative and find something to take up the slack. When you start looking, you'll be surprised how small a gap there actually is, and most typical flat washers will be too thick.
I used a small square of 3M reflective tape, hole punched through the center for the bolt, placed between the top of levers and the pivot points. This vinyl-type material has a slick surface and is extremely durable. Most automotive or RV supply stores will have a similar product available in small quantities. This tape is similar what I used.. but you may find a better option if you think outside the box.
3M Scotchlite Diamond Grade 2" Reflective Tape (truckntow.com)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they shouldn't wobble no, this happens a lot with cheap levers i got my pair from tst and i cant fault them besides them not folding up for the price.
I will look into TST. I came out abiut 50 bucks for both levers. I'm still green, so I don't know if thats cheap, but I have seen them go up as far as 100.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you like the levers you have, get creative and find something to take up the slack. When you start looking, you'll be surprised how small a gap there actually is, and most typical flat washers will be too thick.
I used a small square of 3M reflective tape, hole punched through the center for the bolt, placed between the top of levers and the pivot points. This vinyl-type material has a slick surface and is extremely durable. Most automotive or RV supply stores will have a similar product available in small quantities. This tape is similar what I used.. but you may find a better option if you think outside the box.
3M Scotchlite Diamond Grade 2" Reflective Tape (truckntow.com)
I will look into that. If it doesn't work, someone recommended TST levers. I'm ok with either

·
Super Moderator
1,142 Posts
No doubt the levers TST and others levers offer will fit better. I just bought a cheap pair, and was not surprised that I got what I paid for.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Jesse at Norton Motosports sells a great lever and is a vendor on this site. I bought two different pair on Ebay and each had been recommended by other R3 riders and both pair were junk. Then I bought Jesse's levers and never looked back.

Buy Chinese save once, buy twice. In my case Save once, Buy three times.

I'm a slow learner.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jesse at Norton Motosports sells a great lever and is a vendor on this site. I bought two different pair on Ebay and each had been recommended by other R3 riders and both pair were junk. Then I bought Jesse's levers and never looked back.

Buy Chinese save once, buy twice. In my case Save once, Buy three times.

I'm a slow learner.
Lol. Thats an awesome quote. I'm gonna use that lol

·
Registered
353 Posts
I feel like I'm the only one who got a good pair of levers from China. They look better than branded ones and are still going strong after 22,000kms.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I feel like I'm the only one who got a good pair of levers from China. They look better than branded ones and are still going strong after 22,000kms.
Where did you guys yours. Clearly they are working lol 😂

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just off a random ebay seller. I imagine the quality may differ as I'm sure there will be more than one factory churning out the same design :rolleyes:

My levers for reference. Very nice quality and cost $29 USD

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's not worth it or safe to buy cheap Chinese-made levers. Watch some of the crash videos online from them failing/locking up and people flying off their bikes. I use Bonamici levers, which are a bit expensive, but are beautiful and feel fantastic. They are made in Italy of Magnesium Alloy and there's no play in them. Decorative parts I'd say you can cheap out on, but brakes being super crucial, no way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I 2nd the folding levers from Norton Motorsports. My 2018 had a set of Chinesium levers on them and when I pulled them off, I did a side-by-side comparison of them and at first look, they seem identical. It was not until I started really looking at the fine details, did I start seeing the difference in a good set of levers and the cheap ones.

You have enough to think about when riding as it is. Why add one more thing to that list.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts