Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to make my R3 more ridable, If you have parts (Shock, brakes, exhaust, and considering other parts) please shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Download the 2015-2018 service manual from Yamaha R3 Service Manual Links (January 2021) and read page 109 "Periodic Checks and Adjustments".

There will be some changes such as the 2nd gen+ where instrument cluster, fairings, and ABS on other Service Manuals include specific knowledge regarding those things. Regardless, I suggest 2015-2018, because most of the information therein applies to all years & models.

As far as I know it's far better to add only what you really (truly) need, rather than throw money down the drain in hopes of creating something "better". Buying only what I truly needed started with a pair of mirror risers from eBay (this was actually my first mod).

Then I realized how cramped the stock rear set was, so I ended up with the Vortex V3 2.0 Rear Set; I am 6'1"; this rear set helped so much as it allowed me to operate the foot controls 100% more fluidly. As an elated rider going on +80mi rides (which I felt were long rides at the time), I realized the stock seat was too **** hard on the buttocks and groin, so I bought a GP-V1 Seat (a well-spent $250).

I bought the most basic crash protection, the Woodcraft Stator Cover Protector (in fact, it's the only crash protection I have). Lo and behold, I laid the bike down in some mud, scraped the stator cover, and broke a LED turn signal, so I replaced the turn signal with halo flush-mount signals from TST.

I bought my 2016 YZF-R3 with 898 miles and currently have 12562 miles. After a while, I began feeling a rebound-less fork bounce, did some research, and realized I should have flushed & replaced my fork oil at least four times since I bought it, so I created this thread on cheap suspension upgrades.

If you don't plan on building a bona fide race bike, it's likely most of the mods you want won't benefit you as much as quality of life mods will (rear set, lights, suspension, tyres, etc.). It's also not necessary to pour thousands of monies into our R3s, unless you have couch cushions full of cash, of course.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Questions!
  1. What do you mean "more ridable"?
  2. Are you going to turn your bike into a track-only machine?
    1. The differences between the track and the road are great
    2. Some mods for the track are an actual money pit
    3. Some mods may actually degrade performance, depending on how you go about implementing them
  3. What research have you done so far?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Questions!
  1. What do you mean "more ridable"?
  2. Are you going to turn your bike into a track-only machine?
    1. The differences between the track and the road are great
    2. Some mods for the track are an actual money pit
    3. Some mods may actually degrade performance, depending on how you go about implementing them
  3. What research have you done so far?

Appreciate your reply. It will not be a track dedicated bike, I will still want to ride on the road. I'm looking to get it to handle and brake better than stock (Stock bike is a soft pogoey mess everywhere for my riding style). I already have forks, QS, fuel management, and tires. I'm looking for a shock, brake parts(lines, pads, MC, rotor), possibly plastics, exhaust, and considering anything else that may enhance track/spirited street riding. Left it open purposefully to see if I would be interested on any item I'm not considering, if it comes at the right price.

Bought this bike for my wife to see if she would get into riding with me, but she lost interest quickly, so looking to make it more ridable/confidence inspiring for me (I own a 2015 R1, 2011 Hypermotard 1100 SP, previous R6 owner, frequent track days/no race experience)

I'm unaware of your reference to a post about general maintenance.

What do you have to sell? shoot me a PM. Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm looking to get it to handle and brake better than stock (Stock bike is a soft pogoey mess everywhere for my riding style).
Perform a search in the Suspension forum; there's plenty of discussions regarding rear shocks. Some have opted for the cheap Ninja 650 rear shock replacement using the Norton-Motorsports Adapter Kit. If you want to purchase something at a discount and don't mind the rear end lift of close to an inch, you could buy a used Ninja 650 rear shock (from a 2005-2016 model).

If you're looking to spend some dough, perhaps you're better waiting scouring the net for used racing shocks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Appreciate your reply. It will not be a track dedicated bike, I will still want to ride on the road. I'm looking to get it to handle and brake better than stock (Stock bike is a soft pogoey mess everywhere for my riding style). I already have forks, QS, fuel management, and tires. I'm looking for a shock, brake parts(lines, pads, MC, rotor), possibly plastics, exhaust, and considering anything else that may enhance track/spirited street riding. Left it open purposefully to see if I would be interested on any item I'm not considering, if it comes at the right price.

Bought this bike for my wife to see if she would get into riding with me, but she lost interest quickly, so looking to make it more ridable/confidence inspiring for me (I own a 2015 R1, 2011 Hypermotard 1100 SP, previous R6 owner, frequent track days/no race experience)

I'm unaware of your reference to a post about general maintenance.

What do you have to sell? shoot me a PM. Thanks.
One quick/free you can do to improve the handling is rise the fork tubes up 10mm in the triple clamps (essentially lowering the front end). This changes the steering geometry slightly, and helps the bike corner better.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One quick/free you can do to improve the handling is rise the fork tubes up 10mm in the triple clamps (essentially lowering the front end). This changes the steering geometry slightly, and helps the bike corner better.
good tip! appreciate it. I will give this a try, I have a good set of forks now so will be playing with that, but I have no rear confidence at all with the stock shock, looking to actually replace that and also looking for more feel while braking hard, stock stuff is really squishy right now. I just got some pads but haven't installed it. Also got new set of tires.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
PM sent. I've got a bunch of performance parts that I'm selling from my wife's R3 trackbike. Brake upgrades, fork and shock, etc, etc.

FYI, Once you add a taller height adjustable shock, raise the forks back up. You'll gain the same rake/trail reducing effect without worsening the R3's already tight ground clearance .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts