Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Brand new to this forum site! So in the past I've only owned one other bike. It was a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. Loved the bike but unfortunately I had to sell it because I was moving. Now, however, I'm looking for my second bike. I'm not a professional rider by any means but I do have a few years experience under my belt. I'm looking at a sport bike for my next one but don't want to kill myself on a 600, 750, 1000, etc. I am 6' tall and weigh in a 185 lbs. I've really been leaning towards the new R3 since they came stateside. Do you think the R3 would work for me as a bike for pleasure-riding or to work and errands? I'm not one to race my bike or rev the nuts off of it. I just want one for leisurely riding and the occasional trip to work or shop. Should I pony up and get a 600 or something like a FZ-07 otherwise? Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
1,562 Posts
Hey everyone! Brand new to this forum site! So in the past I've only owned one other bike. It was a 2002 Honda Shadow Spirit 750. Loved the bike but unfortunately I had to sell it because I was moving. Now, however, I'm looking for my second bike. I'm not a professional rider by any means but I do have a few years experience under my belt. I'm looking at a sport bike for my next one but don't want to kill myself on a 600, 750, 1000, etc. I am 6' tall and weigh in a 185 lbs. I've really been leaning towards the new R3 since they came stateside. Do you think the R3 would work for me as a bike for pleasure-riding or to work and errands? I'm not one to race my bike or rev the nuts off of it. I just want one for leisurely riding and the occasional trip to work or shop. Should I pony up and get a 600 or something like a FZ-07 otherwise? Thanks!!
I have a very similar story. I had a Honda Shadow years back and had to sell it. I recently wanted to get back into riding casually but wanted something more sporty and ended up with the R3. I thought I'd use it just to tool around town on weekends but it's turned into my daily commuting vehicle when the weather supports it. I have a 50 mile commute each way and the R3 does a great job on interstates but is even more fun on the windy New England back roads. Getting 62mph compared to my Tacoma's 20 is an added bonus.

I'm 5'11" and the bike fits me just fine and is a ton of fun to ride.
Whatever you end up with, ride safe and have fun!

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! It helps that you had a similar situation that I did. Sounds like you're still able to have fun with the R3 while being able to use it as a daily commuter, which is likely what it would turn into for me. I definitely love the looks of them! Better than the CBR 300 or the Kawi 300. Also, I'm guessing in the next couple years someone will likely have some aftermarket power mods for it to give those riders a little extra kick :)

·
Registered
542 Posts
You'll be fine on a bigger bike if you aren't an idiot. The r3 is a great bike, but it is still a 300. If you want torque, passing power, 2 up riding, etc look elsewhere. You can buy a lot of bike in the used market for the price of an r3.

If you want a bike that is cheap to keep on the street, good looking, and can still be a lot of fun on backroads the r3 is a good choice. I commute on mine daily, have done a 1,000 mile day on it, and have a track day scheduled in a few weeks. This bike can do it all, but a lot of other bikes can do just as well or better.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For pleasure, occasional work, and errands, R3 is definitely fun to use. For daily commuting, I'd go FZ07 or the new SV650 with abs (if you are into abs). I'm a big proponent of low-speed handling when it comes to commuting in the city or stop and go and the R3 is terrible relative to the FZ07 when it comes to low-speed handling. Also you ride a cruiser, so you will definitely notice the terrible low-speed handling on the R3.

Yeah, I know. I'm completely spoiled on naked bikes.

·
Registered
164 Posts
For pleasure, occasional work, and errands, R3 is definitely fun to use. For daily commuting, I'd go FZ07 or the new SV650 with abs (if you are into abs). I'm a big proponent of low-speed handling when it comes to commuting in the city or stop and go and the R3 is terrible relative to the FZ07 when it comes to low-speed handling. Also you ride a cruiser, so you will definitely notice the terrible low-speed handling on the R3.

Yeah, I know. I'm completely spoiled on naked bikes.
What kind of issues are you having at low speed with the R3?

·
Registered
330 Posts
My issue, and even that word is too strong, with the R3 is definitely not from 0-60ish, it's 60 and on. It gets up to 60 no problem, just it takes forever to get anything past that. Which isn't a problem, but once you get used to a faster bike, that lack of top end can be frustrating.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts