Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Some quick background on myself. I am 27, been wanting a bike for many years. I just now came around to feeling fully comfortable with going all in on it. I have limited experience on dirt bikes growing up, and that is about it for 2 wheels.

Last week I took and passed (not that it was hard) the MSF Basic Riders Course. It was a great time, very informative and I got extremely comfortable riding the bike over the two days.

I have been looking for the longest time at the naked bikes, specifically the FZ-07 which I am shamelessly obsessed with as far as looks go. The only thing that concerns me is how good of a beginner bike it could be when considering the power. The bikes I used for the MSF where the bottom line cruisers from Yamaha and honestly for me the power was adequate for what we did in the course. We however, did not go over 35 MPH but the acceleration to 35 was good enough for me... For now any way.

I happened across a thread here about a possible FZ-03 which has me really excited. If that bike is released in the U.S that may very likely be what I end up with. It has the styling I prefer, a little less power to possibly get in trouble with and should cost less than the FZ-07 which is always appealing.

If you made it this far than I have a couple questions about the R3 for you enthusiast. I want to make sure I know what I am getting into, I am usually picky with anything I own and will try to improve the R3's weak areas if possible. This bike may or not be a long term deal, but it will be in my garage for AT LEAST 4 years. So I need to like it.

After watching reviews and comparisons of different entry level bikes I keep hearing about the poor tires, suspension they put on the R3.

I am 5' 11" and 225-230LBS depending on my last meal, will the suspension be suitable for me or will it need an upgrade? I also don't ride twisty mountain roads, or roads with many pot holes. The roads here are generally in good shape as well. But I would like to search out some more entertaining roads when my skills develop as a rider.

What kind of money would need to be invested to upgrade the suspension?

Same questions apply to brakes, pads, brake lines

Have there been any common problems with the R3? Any cheap components that need to be upgraded immediately?

I appreciate any and all inputs. Also, if you have heard anything new on the FZ-03 coming to the USA please update me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The suspension will be just fine. If you were dead set on spending any money at all on upgrades, replace the stock tires with decent radials. Nothing else, radials and ride it. I recommend Bridgestone S20's in the stock sizes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

That is what I was hoping to hear. I love to fine tune anything that I own so I don't mind spending a little to improve the suspension/brakes/exhaust. But if its not needed than I wont spend money on it. Does anyone bother with swapping out the exhaust with these smaller CC engines?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes absolutely that's usually first mod is a full exhaust or at the least a slip on exhaust. And I can recommend the R3. I think it's a fantastic little bike that you can rev it out all day and not be going triple digits speed but still has a good feel. I purchased my R3 last month and have just about 800 miles on it now. I am 28 and had a few years growing up with dirt bikes and various Honda Mini Trails, and the R3 is very easy to learn all you need to progress through your motorcycle adventure out on the road. I came from a 2014 Honda Grom (125 single cylinder) I purchased in 2013. I guess I just like these smaller displacement bikes. At some point I'll have to get something else with a bigger engine, just cause I'm curious and all, but the R3 is a fantastic bike for me. Looks killer too!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agreed, the looks are fantastic. Something about the Yamaha's just drags me in.

I will have to check out some different exhaust options. I am in the military and we are required to take various MSF courses. Luckily the military pays for us to take the required courses. I will have to take a "advanced riders course" Then a "sportbike course". So I will get plenty of good training on top of the experience gained while riding. I am looking forward to making my purchase. Really hoping the FZ-03 comes out before hand so I can consider purchasing that one. I want my bike before the spring though.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I believe you may have watched a video or read a review by Ari (a National level racer) on std tyres at the track?

The suspension will be more than enough for many years,
Wait until you've pushed beyond levels most will never get to before throwing money you don't need to at the suspension.
Even the std tyres will do for a year or two before they wear out (even though they are crap Bias ply Michelins) if you are a new rider.
Brakes on new bikes take a few hundred Km of very hard use to bed in.

Pretty sure the bike will be fine but that's up to the rider.

Slip on exhaust wont do a thing.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I would much rather do a suspension and brakes upgrade than a slip on. For some the suspension is enough, for others, the stock one is enough if you are "just" street riding it. For me, a nice suspension that is tunable absolutely matters, whether you are on the street or track. Thats why its tunable, you can take away a few clicks and make it more compliant, then dial it up when you ride the canyons or track or whatever.

The stock tires suck, and this might just be me coming from a different bike that had some S20s which I really liked. That said, the stock ones arent so bad that they are dangerous. They gripped enough for me to commute to and from work, in some rain, decent winds on the bridge, and I was even able to lean it enough to get my knee down like 50 times without a prob. I did change them out at 750 miles to get the bike ready for the track.

The BRC is pretty lame and basic in my opinion, even for a new rider. Pay much attention to the ARC though, what they teach is actually very usable on the street.

I gotta ask, why an FZ3 and why not the FZ07? I wouldnt recomend the FZ09 to a beginner, but the FZ07 is very manageable as a beginner bike. That said, you will probably have much more fun on the little 300, I was just wondering why the smaller one? I admire that someone can come to a forum and put out they want to learn on a smaller bike instead of the usual " Should I get a GSXR for my first bike?" I usually recommend a Hayabusa for those guys. " Busa Bro. First gear everywhere. No need to shift." Coming from a bigger bike, I have more fun on the R3 than I did on the ZX6R. I love both bikes, but the R3 just feels that much funner for me to ride, even though it is slow as ****.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You are very smart to be thinking about starting on a smaller bike. I remember attending the funeral of one of our guys at Shaw AFB in the 90s who died on a high powered bike about 200 feet out of the dealer parking lot after signing the papers. Not long after that is when they came out with the additional training requirements for military riders on higher hp bikes.

I really like the suspension on the R3 - just right for normal riding; not too soft, not too stiff; certainly responsive enough for the riding I do. As someone else said, you'd have to be a very experienced racer to even benefit from any improvement there. The tires are a little lacking, but again, if you're not pushing it to the limits, which you won't be anyway at least for awhile, you'll be fine on them.

I'm on my sixth bike and I've decided I prefer not to spend a lot of money on mods. I did put slip-ons on my Harley because it sounded like a sewing machine, which is just not right! But other than that, "performance" mods you really don't get much except for worse gas mileage -- better to put that money towards a bike with more power engineered and built in. Put the money you would spend on mods in the bank, then when the R3 doesn't have enough GO for you you can sell it, and put the other money with it and you'll have enough for Fz07 or similar with almost twice the power instead of an R3 with 5% or 6% more power that you can't sell for much more if any more than an stock one.

Mods to make the bike more useful make more sense -- Phone/GPS holder, USB, Cargo carrying ability, etc. And are not that expensive.

Hey everyone,

Some quick background on myself. I am 27, been wanting a bike for many years. I just now came around to feeling fully comfortable with going all in on it. I have limited experience on dirt bikes growing up, and that is about it for 2 wheels.

Last week I took and passed (not that it was hard) the MSF Basic Riders Course. It was a great time, very informative and I got extremely comfortable riding the bike over the two days.

I have been looking for the longest time at the naked bikes, specifically the FZ-07 which I am shamelessly obsessed with as far as looks go. The only thing that concerns me is how good of a beginner bike it could be when considering the power. The bikes I used for the MSF where the bottom line cruisers from Yamaha and honestly for me the power was adequate for what we did in the course. We however, did not go over 35 MPH but the acceleration to 35 was good enough for me... For now any way.

I happened across a thread here about a possible FZ-03 which has me really excited. If that bike is released in the U.S that may very likely be what I end up with. It has the styling I prefer, a little less power to possibly get in trouble with and should cost less than the FZ-07 which is always appealing.

If you made it this far than I have a couple questions about the R3 for you enthusiast. I want to make sure I know what I am getting into, I am usually picky with anything I own and will try to improve the R3's weak areas if possible. This bike may or not be a long term deal, but it will be in my garage for AT LEAST 4 years. So I need to like it.

After watching reviews and comparisons of different entry level bikes I keep hearing about the poor tires, suspension they put on the R3.

I am 5' 11" and 225-230LBS depending on my last meal, will the suspension be suitable for me or will it need an upgrade? I also don't ride twisty mountain roads, or roads with many pot holes. The roads here are generally in good shape as well. But I would like to search out some more entertaining roads when my skills develop as a rider.

What kind of money would need to be invested to upgrade the suspension?

Same questions apply to brakes, pads, brake lines

Have there been any common problems with the R3? Any cheap components that need to be upgraded immediately?

I appreciate any and all inputs. Also, if you have heard anything new on the FZ-03 coming to the USA please update me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would much rather do a suspension and brakes upgrade than a slip on. Thats why its tunable, you can take away a few clicks and make it more compliant, then dial it up when you ride the canyons or track or whatever.
So what suspension did you go with?

I gotta ask, why an FZ3 and why not the FZ07? I wouldnt recomend the FZ09 to a beginner, but the FZ07 is very manageable as a beginner bike. That said, you will probably have much more fun on the little 300, I was just wondering why the smaller one? .
Well there are a few reasons. I was satisfied for the most part with the power output on the little 250cc cruisers provided at the MSF course. I also realized that if I had a mental lapse and throttled at the wrong time or let the clutch out too fast that little 250cc is not soo much that I cant quickly correct the situation.

Another reason would be $. The R3 and I would assume the FZ03 are roughly $5k bikes here where I live. The FZ-07 is around $7K. (Although I have found one in the color I like marked down to $5,999 for quick sale) The insurance is also $30 a month cheaper on the smaller bike.

Also, I hear people talk about being bored with the smaller cc bikes after a few months. Boredom might be one thing, but it will take me a long time to develop my skills beyond the point of what the R3/FZ-03 could handle. Whenever I feel like I can max out the bike safely then I might consider an upgrade. But even then, I am 27 with a family and not trying to put myself in a situation to leave them without a father/husband.

That said, I just want to ride man.

Reactions: Huskercowboy

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So what suspension did you go with?

Well there are a few reasons. I was satisfied for the most part with the power output on the little 250cc cruisers provided at the MSF course. I also realized that if I had a mental lapse and throttled at the wrong time or let the clutch out too fast that little 250cc is not soo much that I cant quickly correct the situation.

Another reason would be $. The R3 and I would assume the FZ03 are roughly $5k bikes here where I live. The FZ-07 is around $7K. (Although I have found one in the color I like marked down to $5,999 for quick sale) The insurance is also $30 a month cheaper on the smaller bike.

Also, I hear people talk about being bored with the smaller cc bikes after a few months. Boredom might be one thing, but it will take me a long time to develop my skills beyond the point of what the R3/FZ-03 could handle. Whenever I feel like I can max out the bike safely then I might consider an upgrade. But even then, I am 27 with a family and not trying to put myself in a situation to leave them without a father/husband.

That said, I just want to ride man.
I didn't and won't upgrade the suspension on this bike. I will only have owned it for 3 months before I have to sell it and go back overseas. If I get anothe rR3 though, there are 2 I am looking at for the front. For the shock I will probably try a Penske. I had an ohlins on a 650 I owned and really liked it but want to try something different now.

I've never seen a skilled rider on a 250 ever really "bored". It's usually straight line commuter to and from work type guys that get "bored". I will link a video for you that you should watch and listen to. http://youtu.be/GKDN3okg4ko

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks, I will take a look at it.

***EDIT*** That looks bad ass, and there is a local kart track here where I live but I dont know if they open it up for bike ever. Never seen any on there. Truly looks like a blast.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's a guy running a Ninja 250 at my local track in the intermediate class. He gets passed by 600's and liter bikes on the straight and takes them back in the corners. After a few laps the bigger bikes are far enough behind him that they run out of straightaway and can't overtake him anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I might be trying to find a way to get this bike sooner. Been spending all day watching more videos and reviews and I am sold. I do however wish I knew for fact that the FZ-03 would be released here, if that happened I would hold out.

I would like to get the blue model, no surprise.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
There are a lot of videos out there for inspiration. There are tons to help you ride better as well. Look up twist of the wrist for starters. I just hope you don't come back here 6 months later already looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lol whatever my first bike is will be all I have for 4 years. So I better like it :)

Yeah blue is clearly gonna be faster, might need to throw some race decals on there too ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't need your negativity :)

I have a wife that helps keep those desires in check. Next year I'll be more concerned with buying a house than another toy. Moving to Florida soon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts