Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering running pilot road 3's on my R3. Since the rear is wider than stock, I'm a little worried about the front end feeling heavier. I feel like the bike will be fine on a 150/70 because Michelin's specifications rate the tire for a 4.00-4.50 RIM size. Anyways I'm curious of opinions on if I should up the front to a 110/80 to balance out the bike but I'm not sure if the 150 will actually effect the bike enough to require a change in the front?
I've been asking other techs at work, family, friends, old classmates and nowhere just to gather as much input as possible. Thanks in advance for any and all of your responses!

·
Registered
110 Posts
oem size:
front: 110/70-17
rear: 140/70-17

Are you thinking about changing the front to [better] match the rear (that already has a 150 tire)?

Do some checking on load rating of tires; the greater the load rating, the heaver the tire. You can find 150 tires but they are likely to be much heavier than you need. As the 300 class grows with some at a 150 rear tire, a better offering in 150 sizes will come. At a minimum, stay with similar load ratings if you can.

Don't add a bigger [taller] tire to the front because the rear has a bigger [wider] tire. Usually, we spend $'s to take weight off. Don't spend $ to add weight (my 2 cents). Your riding envelop will get a bit smaller.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts