Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else gotten a spare made? I lost both and the dealer says they cannot make another one. I find that strange , they stated u had to find a locksmith. I have been talking to a few but maybe because the bike is new they don't have the proper codes or something. Do these keys have a chip?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Did you write down the code from that little tag on the key ring when you got the bike? In the manual it says to as that is how you can get a replacement key...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I wonder if it has something to do with the Indonesian manufacture. Might be a blank that isn't common in the US. I had a Ford Probe once but the key blank was for Mazda, the actual manufacturer. I'd look for a key cutter who specifically advertises motorcycle keys, if the ones you called didn't. :(

My spare key goes in the junk drawer and the code gets written in the owner's manual.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The key number is also on the steering stem behind the ignition. Should be a combination of 4 numbers and the dealership should be able to order you another set or call the Yamaha manufacturer customer service line and inquire that way...Good luck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I actually do have that 4 digital code. It may be my dealer that is also clueless. I will call another Yamaha dealer and see where that goes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Don't feel bad I lost the little tag on the first day not thinking it was important. Before I read the manual then I put the spare key in a safe place.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The key number is also on the steering stem behind the ignition. Should be a combination of 4 numbers and the dealership should be able to order you another set or call the Yamaha manufacturer customer service line and inquire that way...Good luck
Don't you have to prove ownership or Registration to Yamaha before they make you a key. Same thing happened with a Gun safe I lost the key. They made me fill out Application/ paper and show a copy of my receipt. Then they sent me a new key. But my Spare Key had a number stamped on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts