Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My son has taken the plunge into the motorcycle enthusiast pool! He’s the recent purchaser of a new 2021 R3, new to riding and this is his first bike.
I took the plunge many years ago and firmly believe that, if you don’t see me, you will hear me! I run 4” Tab Shorty’s on my scout. Not obnoxious but certainly a good bark when I want it.
I would like info from you fine folks on a decently loud slip on’s for his R3. Going the “full” route isn’t out of the question, just more $$$ and grief for a first bike. A fuel tuner isn’t in the cards right now, again the $$$ and lack of experience.
We’ve come across a few that stick out
CS Racing ( which seems to come only full)
DG V2 (having difficulty confirming 2021 fitment)
Coffmans (how secure/sturdy is it without a second mounting point)
M4 Street Slayer
Any I that category that I’ve missed but we should look into?

Thanks in advance for your replies

·
Registered
28 Posts
Loud pipes cause auto drivers to swerve. Sometimes in the wrong direction. sLing said it best. I have not been on a motorcycle long but my decades of riding bicycles has taught me that even when I think eye contact is made. I always assume I'm not seen. Plus, loud pipes aren't heard very well if you're approaching from behind and the auto drivers have their stereos turned up. Ride safe and don't put yourself in untenable situations.

That being said, I almost bought a bike with a Leo Vince slip-on. Salesman full throttled that thing outside and I have to say, it was not annoyingly loud. Too bad they wouldn't budge on their price. Stock fartcan for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi all,
My son has taken the plunge into the motorcycle enthusiast pool! He’s the recent purchaser of a new 2021 R3, new to riding and this is his first bike.
I took the plunge many years ago and firmly believe that, if you don’t see me, you will hear me! I run 4” Tab Shorty’s on my scout. Not obnoxious but certainly a good bark when I want it.
I would like info from you fine folks on a decently loud slip on’s for his R3. Going the “full” route isn’t out of the question, just more $$$ and grief for a first bike. A fuel tuner isn’t in the cards right now, again the $$$ and lack of experience.
We’ve come across a few that stick out
CS Racing ( which seems to come only full)
DG V2 (having difficulty confirming 2021 fitment)
Coffmans (how secure/sturdy is it without a second mounting point)
M4 Street Slayer
Any I that category that I’ve missed but we should look into?

Thanks in advance for your replies
I love the m4 street slayer looks good sounds great, cuts off 12lbs when you cut the stock exhaust off
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
291 Posts
I don't want to be that guy. But, you'd be better saving money on the exhaust and using that money on rider training for your son.

That's definitely the best bang for buck in terms of rider safety. From the studies that I've seen, loud cans seem to have limited safety benefits. A good aftermarket can sure can sound nice though!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 R3
84 Posts
I won't comment on the "loud pipes saves lives" debate. That's for another day. I run a Yoshimura R-77 full exhaust that came with the bike (was installed by previous owner). The Yoshi system looks great, sounds really sweet, but is not overly loud, even with the baffle removed. If you are after high decibels, go with something else.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate and share your concern for his well being. Part of the licensing process in our Province is a mandatory rider safety course. I have him starting on a R3, not a R6, not a R1 and he didn’t dig the Vespa! You don’t get to be a decade’s old rider by driving like a squid, there’s a lot of safety knowledge I’m passing on. I’ve seen that eye contact look from cagers, and they are thinking “I’m bigger than him, he’ll move!”
You can’t argue that all things being equal except exhaust volume, I wouldn’t be noticed before you. If I can tip the scales even just a point or two in his/my favour, who’s the safer rider? In the example given of a distracted driver listening to a stereo loudly, who’s in a better position to snap him out of his stupor, a kitty cat purring or a tiger roaring, ready to rip you a new one? That blip you hear at intersections from bearded crusty old timers on Harley’s and Indians isn’t a dick wave, it’s a safety announcement saying “I’m here, give me space.”

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic;
Opinions and recommendations on the louder than stock aftermarket options for the R3.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I appreciate and share your concern for his well being. Part of the licensing process in our Province is a mandatory rider safety course. I have him starting on a R3, not a R6, not a R1 and he didn’t dig the Vespa! You don’t get to be a decade’s old rider by driving like a squid, there’s a lot of safety knowledge I’m passing on. I’ve seen that eye contact look from cagers, and they are thinking “I’m bigger than him, he’ll move!”
You can’t argue that all things being equal except exhaust volume, I wouldn’t be noticed before you. If I can tip the scales even just a point or two in his/my favour, who’s the safer rider? In the example given of a distracted driver listening to a stereo loudly, who’s in a better position to snap him out of his stupor, a kitty cat purring or a tiger roaring, ready to rip you a new one? That blip you hear at intersections from bearded crusty old timers on Harley’s and Indians isn’t a dick wave, it’s a safety announcement saying “I’m here, give me space.”

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic;
Opinions and recommendations on the louder than stock aftermarket options for the R3.
My choice was in my reply. The Leo Vince sounded nice while being docile under lower rpm. Can definitely be heard when opened up.
Happy riding! 🏍🏍

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@KevinW 2017R3 You cite a study conducted by Romanian university students funded by an eco-friendly protection group from the Netherlands using undisclosed motorcycles of undisclosed CC’s as proof?
Check your numbers and beware the messenger.
Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

How many times have you heard a plane before seeing it? How many times have you heard a siren first before seeing an emergency vehicle? The only proof I can offer is personal experience, what proof can you offer that quieter pipes cause fewer accidents?

From the studies that I've seen, loud cans seem to have limited safety benefits.
Some is better than none! Thanks.

@TXaaronTX thanks for the reply but I think I’m nixing the M4. After cutting out the cat for install the bike wouldn’t pass a Manitoba Safety certification for resale.

The lad’s decided on a Coffman, looks like it will do the job without breaking the bank and no major modifications needed

Ride Safe All.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many times have you seen people just completely ignore emergency vehicle even though they have lights and sirens on?

Even if people hear you they might not even care enough to do anything about it.
100% agree with you, but that’s not the point being made

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree that you need to try to make yourself stand out for other drivers to help with safety. I have been riding since 1976 and know from experience that the cars around you may not see you, but may hear you if you have some exhaust sound. I don't have any info on slip on mufflers, but have installed 2 full exhaust systems on my 2021 R3 and if you decide to go full exhaust the Toce is the loudest as far as I know, and the 2 Brothers full exhaust is loud but not too loud with the optional DB killer installed and actually sound very good. But does require a fuel controller.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Anyone relying on loud exhaust to save their life should not be on a motorcycle. Period.

·
Registered
2021 Indian Scout Bobber
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Who said anything about that?
Both of us ride ATGATT
Both full face helmets
Both riding boots
Both have motorcycle safety course, me twice.
I’m just looking for another tick in his favour

·
Registered
264 Posts
It was just a general statement about that dumb term... "loud pipes save lives"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts