Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey guys,
yeah sorry another slip on thread.
i've been lurking a lot of the exhaust threads here and I think I need your help!

so I just hit 600 miles on mine and started searching for a slip on to make the stock sound a little better.
I've actually been searching for a week now and i cant find a good balance of price and looks and sound for a slip on.

basically I would like a exhaust that is hopefully the same length as the stocker. I've seen the M4 and while the sound is good, the looks aint for my taste. I then looked at the Akrapovic GP slip on and again the sound was so nice but man the looks.... not a fan.
**Sorry all the folks with the above exhausts, They sound amazing but for me it just doesn't look like my stye.

I've been reading that the Yoshimura slip on is the quietest but the looks to me are so so nice. I would have gotten it but I want it to be the loudest I can get while still keeping the cat.

The one I'm looking at right now is the coffman shorty exhaust, it's cheapest from others that I'm seeing and seems like it's almost the same size as the stocker.
Sound is OK, seems slight loud, is that the loudest it can be?

Can you guys please recommend any good ones that aren't expensive? under 300 hopefully?
I'm down for some Clones as well, Just want looks and sound, not really going for HP/TQ gains.

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I saw the Leo as well. Price is nice! but the grate thing in the hole (at the end) kinda makes it weird looking.

The recent ones I've been looking at are the no name clones on ebay. They really do look the part and for slip on they are dirt cheap.
Question is will the sound be good? Any one have experience with any and wanna recommend any?

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
Hey there, I watched a ton of youtube videos with sound clips before I bought the Coffmans. I mostly bought it because of the price and the look - I don't like the huge cans that the other exhausts have and preferred the smaller, subtle look of the Coffmans.

Sound wise, honestly they are all fairly similar and it's really about preference in my opinion. One other small benefit is the Coffmans is very light compared to stock. Not sure about compared to others but my guess is it's similar or lighter because of its size.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey there, I watched a ton of youtube videos with sound clips before I bought the Coffmans. I mostly bought it because of the price and the look - I don't like the huge cans that the other exhausts have and preferred the smaller, subtle look of the Coffmans.

Sound wise, honestly they are all fairly similar and it's really about preference in my opinion. One other small benefit is the Coffmans is very light compared to stock. Not sure about compared to others but my guess is it's similar or lighter because of its size.

Hope that helps!
TY
yes i agree, i do like the looks of the coffman. it's not huge or tiny. I think it's about the right size as the stock, just a lot nicer.
Is it "plug and play install" or do you have to drill anything?

·
Registered
162 Posts
99.99% percent of the noise cancelling is done at the cat, so a slip on doesn't change the sound too much. The most it will do is "trumpet" the sound.

·
Super Moderator
1,376 Posts
TY
yes i agree, i do like the looks of the coffman. it's not huge or tiny. I think it's about the right size as the stock, just a lot nicer.
Is it "plug and play install" or do you have to drill anything?
It's totally plug and play. Well, you do need to drill a hole for a rivet to hold it in place but that's it. I went to buy a cheap rivet gun to do the job.

·
Registered
16 Posts
99.99% percent of the noise cancelling is done at the cat, so a slip on doesn't change the sound too much. The most it will do is "trumpet" the sound.
Yes that is very true, the R3 more so than any other bike I've owned. No point in getting a slip-on for sound, just remove your muffler or get a full system. DG has a full system with various inserts available and you can get any loud to stupid loud sound you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trust me I want a full system badly but everyone everywhere keeps saying that we need a power commander.
I don't want to spend 500 to 700 on a exhaust then 300 to 500 on a tune etc.
I wish a full exhaust wouldn't require a tune. New to bike world. I know for cars when I did turbo back exhaust I could drive it without tune no problem (of course tune took full advantage of power).
For this bike, it just needs some sound which the full exhaust does provide.

·
Registered
6 Posts
75CBD3A0-5E8C-401D-878F-CD855D12E595.jpeg
I went with the yoshimura, it looks way cleaner and gets rid of that stock lawnmower sound. I removed the decibel killer and the bike definitely has more growl to it now. I am wanting to do a cat delete but that can get pricey with tuning and everything. I found my slip on for $249 on eBay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sexy!
I actually just bought a no name brand off Amazon for 40 bucks. It has a CF look. I'll test that and see how it is until a full exhaust goes on sale (still don't want to dish out for a power programmer :( )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sexy!
I actually just bought a no name brand off Amazon for 40 bucks. It has a CF look. I'll test that and see how it is until a full exhaust goes on sale (still don't want to dish out for a power programmer :( )
Yeah the power commander is likely the next purchase I will do, only thing holding me back is that it’s very expensive for a small power gain. I have NOS which provides 20+hp instantly and only cost about $100. Nitrous is probably the quickest way you can add power without breaking the bank. I haven’t put it on yet because I need to get different spark plugs first but it should be pretty fun. Back on topic tho, I bought a cheap amazon slip on first however, I ready some pretty god awful reviews about them falling apart while riding at high speeds, I returned it before ever trying it. Hopefully you didn’t buy what I was looking at 😂

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yeah the power commander is likely the next purchase I will do, only thing holding me back is that it’s very expensive for a small power gain. I have NOS which provides 20+hp instantly and only cost about $100. Nitrous is probably the quickest way you can add power without breaking the bank. I haven’t put it on yet because I need to get different spark plugs first but it should be pretty fun. Back on topic tho, I bought a cheap amazon slip on first however, I ready some pretty god awful reviews about them falling apart while riding at high speeds, I returned it before ever trying it. Hopefully you didn’t buy what I was looking at 😂
Oh dang I hope I didn't get the same one then!
Forr the pvc, does it auto tune your ride or you have to tune it?
I have 0 xp on tuning so rather then blowing up my bike, I'd rather not do any kind of tuning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have NOS which provides 20+hp instantly and only cost about $100. Nitrous is probably the quickest way you can add power without breaking the bank.
I'm guessing the same people that told you you'd get an extra 20 hp with NOS were the same people that told you that you don't need to do anything to your bike for that NOS to work.

If you're expecting an extra 20 hp or more from NOS on a 42 hp bike you should not be even attempting to add NOS to your bike. If that were even possible the engine would either blow up on the first shot, or not far from it.

Secondly, lets say physics and engineering don't exist and it somehow the NOS will give you those gains. It still wouldn't be cost effective as you'd only be getting that burst of power for 10-20 seconds at a time (depending on the rate it's being sprayed in).

(I'm hoping you're trolling)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh dang I hope I didn't get the same one then!
Forr the pvc, does it auto tune your ride or you have to tune it?
I have 0 xp on tuning so rather then blowing up my bike, I'd rather not do any kind of tuning.
I’m pretty new to riding myself, I was told if I buy the power commander, dyno and tuning wouldn’t be required. Truthfully I just went nuts on eBay and Amazon buying everything I can find pertaining to the r3.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm guessing the same people that told you you'd get an extra 20 hp with NOS were the same people that told you that you don't need to do anything to your bike for that NOS to work.

If you're expecting an extra 20 hp or more from NOS on a 42 hp bike you should not be even attempting to add NOS to your bike. If that were even possible the engine would either blow up on the first shot, or not far from it.

Secondly, lets say physics and engineering don't exist and it somehow the NOS will give you those gains. It still wouldn't be cost effective as you'd only be getting that burst of power for 10-20 seconds at a time (depending on the rate it's being sprayed in).

(I'm hoping you're trolling)
1) not trolling, it’s a small 20 shot system, so you you’ll get an instant 19-21 hp in that ten seconds. +/-2% within what companies say the shot is capable of generally. (Obviously not always 20, conditions would come into play. But peak performance of the system yes.

2) clearly it’s not a constant hp boost, emergencies, track day, a moment to show off, etc... I’m not sure why that small amount of power is unforeseeable to you. That’s like actually that one of the smallest you can get, some car engines have 200-300 hp shots. These are like mini CO2 canisters from a BB gun. Very small but still 20 shots designed for engines 251cc-500cc.

3) this bike really shines in its last 3k rpms, shooting the engine to redline nearly immediately is going to provide insane gains 3rd through 5th, I’ll be sure to post the before and after dynos once I get to that point.

4) as far as the company goes that sold it to me, pretty good reviews. having to replace just some spark plugs, that’s no major engine work like would be required for larger shots. Technically will work on a stock engine. Dude like this shot is so small that I don’t think I could even hold the button down long enough to blow my engine before it would run out. Guess we’ll see, appreciate you trying to make me feel stupid but you can mind your own business next time 👌if I blow my bike up, I’ll make sure to make a thread about the dangers of small nitrous shots, it’s a cheap lightweight fun bike and I got it to experiment with and build on before I move on to something larger and more customizable. Good day sir

1 - 16 of 16 Posts