Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guy's! Yeah so basically I read that there is bikes that will go faster than the r3 that are lower CC's. I don't know if they're racing bikes or how they would effect insurance and such but my main point is that, why should I buy the R3 when I can buy a lower CC bike that can potentially go faster? I am not hating, I am looking at picking up an R3 this winter and having it ready for next year but I am finding myself hesitant and looking for some perspectives out there.

(Sorry about the title typo)

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think you are looking at things at the wrong angle. One usually does not concern oneself of top speed when looking at 300cc or lower bikes. If it truly does concern you, and you are a new rider, you should look into 600cc supersport bikes. That way you can reach the peak of Darwinism much, much faster.

If you are looking to learn on a bike as a new rider, don't concern yourself of top speed.

If you are looking at racing a 300cc or lower cc bike, well based on your original post I somehow don't think that is the case.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you are looking at things at the wrong angle. One usually does not concern oneself of top speed when looking at 300cc or lower bikes. If it truly does concern you, and you are a new rider, you should look into 600cc supersport bikes. That way you can reach the peak of Darwinism much, much faster.

If you are looking to learn on a bike as a new rider, don't concern yourself of top speed.

If you are looking at racing a 300cc or lower cc bike, well based on your original post I somehow don't think that is the case.
In all honesty, I am looking for longevity out of a sport spike and I truly do not want to get bored. 320cc's could be fun but knowing myself, not for long. I know I am going to want more power. If I had to accurately guess, if I decided to buy the R3 as my 320cc choice, I would get one summer out of it here in Canada and probably selling it during the following winter and end up buying a 600cc anyways. So as far as a investment perspective, maybe I should of going straight to the R6. What do you think man? I am sure you've been riding for awhile now

·
Premium Member
1,391 Posts
Well it's really up to you. But keep in mind that insurance as a first time rider will be a lot in Canada on an R6. Heck it's even possible to be high on the R3 depending on your driving record.

A couple things to consider -

1. If you're going to get bored that's no problem. But make sure you take a motorcycle safety course and buy all the gear up front. Don't skimp! You need boots, gloves, jacket, helmet AND pants. You can get most stuff cheaply on kijiji

2. Ride the R3 and get used to it first and learn good habits.

3. Learner type bikes are always in high demand so buy one used and then flip it after a year because your insurance will likely go down after a year.

4. Are you in Ontario? If so, I know having a full M license makes a difference too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it's really up to you. But keep in mind that insurance as a first time rider will be a lot in Canada on an R6. Heck it's even possible to be high on the R3 depending on your driving record.

A couple things to consider -

1. If you're going to get bored that's no problem. But make sure you take a motorcycle safety course and buy all the gear up front. Don't skimp! You need boots, gloves, jacket, helmet AND pants. You can get most stuff cheaply on kijiji

2. Ride the R3 and get used to it first and learn good habits.

3. Learner type bikes are always in high demand so buy one used and then flip it after a year because your insurance will likely go down after a year.

4. Are you in Ontario? If so, I know having a full M license makes a difference too.
Boom! Bang on. This is what I like to hear, perfect reply and thank you very much for your knowledge. I will consider all of this, thanks!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Step 1: Find the actual bikes that are lower CC and higher top speed.

Step 2: Get insurance quotes on them and the R3.

Step 3: Ask yourself if you're realistically going to be tooling around at 115+ mph (R3 Land) on any bike.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In all honesty, I am looking for longevity out of a sport spike and I truly do not want to get bored. 320cc's could be fun but knowing myself, not for long. I know I am going to want more power. If I had to accurately guess, if I decided to buy the R3 as my 320cc choice, I would get one summer out of it here in Canada and probably selling it during the following winter and end up buying a 600cc anyways. So as far as a investment perspective, maybe I should of going straight to the R6. What do you think man? I am sure you've been riding for awhile now
There are bold riders and there are old riders, but few bold old riders.

Believe you me kid, you won't get bored if your a motorcyclist. If you're an adrenaline junky you might.

·
Registered
542 Posts
To keep this civil, lets just say that there is far more to riding a bike than its top speed. I have more fun on my r3 than anything else I've owned. 30 mph through a tight chicane or mountain pass is far more fun than doing 150 down a highway.

Also, 2 strokes. If you want out of this world hp from a small bike that's the only way. Ie, aprilia rs 250 which makes 75+ hp at a mere 330 lbs)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I would argue that if you're getting bored on the R3, you're not finding the right roads. Multi-lane highway? Yeah, it gets old. But find the proper roads, and there's no way a bigger bike could go any faster - there's always a maximum speed you can take a given corner at, no matter how many CC's you throw at it.
I was concerned I'd outgrow the R3 in a season, but some of the curviest roads here in Ontario are in my backyard, and I've learned that skill far outweighs raw horsepower. 8000 kms on mine now, and I know it makes me a much better rider than if I'd simply bought more displacement - and truthfully, has probably kept me alive when I've been more ham fisted. I'm planning next year's summer already, and there's more than one track school on the horizon. Going to get myself dialed in and skills up to snuff before jumping up a size. I see myself pulling 2 years on the R3 before buying more.
But, like I say, seek the right roads and the R3 is all you could want.

·
Registered
810 Posts
If you can find a 4 cylinder 250cc bike from one of the major manufactures that is the way to go. Unfortunately I don't know how common they are up in Canada. The manufacturers have not produced those 250 4 cylinders for about 20 years now.

Those and, as already mentioned, they 2 stroke 250 or 125 cc sport bikes would be the only things that would go faster than an R3.

Of course, those bikes have carburetors and have additional work to tune them. Unfortunately many shops, at least that I have found, don't really want to mess with the carbs anymore. Just to much work to get a really good tune for them. They get faster turn around using the tune by wire software and dyno.

If you just want straight line speed get a 1k and be done with it. I won't be attending your funeral or paying any medical bills you have after your inevitable crash.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Once you've done 150 mph ... then you've done it. Curves are the gift that keep on giving!
Yeah once you've had that rush your not getting it again from any other speed but that... on the R3 it's the curves that give you that rush. You can fly right though them. Yeah my boyfriend on his big mean fz1 with 150HP accelerates faster and goes faster but I catch up and always pass in the turns always.

·
Registered
350 Posts
If you can find a 4 cylinder 250cc bike from one of the major manufactures that is the way to go. Unfortunately I don't know how common they are up in Canada. The manufacturers have not produced those 250 4 cylinders for about 20 years now.

Those and, as already mentioned, they 2 stroke 250 or 125 cc sport bikes would be the only things that would go faster than an R3.

Of course, those bikes have carburetors and have additional work to tune them. Unfortunately many shops, at least that I have found, don't really want to mess with the carbs anymore. Just to much work to get a really good tune for them. They get faster turn around using the tune by wire software and dyno.

If you just want straight line speed get a 1k and be done with it. I won't be attending your funeral or paying any medical bills you have after your inevitable crash.
Fzr 250. I'd ride one of those in a heart beat. Or fzr 400 the blue with the white wheels the 90... oh the 90's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think there are any bikes in production in comparable displacement that beat the r3 in the "top speed" department.

The ninja 300, cbr300 and even the ktm 390 all lose to the r3.

But do you really want to make the comparison here? Yes the r3 can hit 115, but you don't get up there instantly. And even if another bike of similar displacement could hit 115, it won't be getting there much faster than the r3. If you want top speed, look at a 600 or even a liter bike.

As everyone else has already said it, you will get bored.

·
Registered
58 Posts
My Bandit 400 would obliterate my R3 with ease.

My RD350LC would also beat it on a race track.

the R3 is fun, but its no sportbike.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Best little bike I ever had, 1991 black FZR with full Yosh pipe, Fox shock and steel braided brake lines. THE '90's ROCKED
God I long for an fzr. Why are there none. Why can no one make a bike like that... oh yeah and RD's are wicked. Xs400 is a little slower. XS650 will go about our speed even though it has a little more HP because of the weight. An RD250 may leave the R3 for dead once you hit power your gone. Oh god two strokes. I wanted an RD125 found two one in my favorite color... never went and got it. Favorite bike is a big bear from the '60... 1967 YM2C 305 BIG BEAR... they're awesome. Bandits are cool. I just don't like them and are in the 400 class so not a 300... if only we got the RZ500/RD500.. Canada did.. I could only imagine.
My Bandit 400 would obliterate my R3 with ease.

My RD350LC would also beat it on a race track.

the R3 is fun, but its no sportbike.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Find some twisty roads. No matter what bike you own you probably won't get bored. If you do there is always the track. Straight line speed in my opinion is far more boring than low/med/high speed twisties.

As far as smaller bikes with more power, find an older I4 250 or 400. There are still a few RS/GPR 250s here but unless it's the race version, you won't see anything over 40hp. Also, 2 strokes aren't for everyone.

Back on topic, find twisties. Find a race track, you won't get bored.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts