Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered the foot pegs on the R3 by 25 mm today. Give the old knees a break :) On the right side I also moved the mounting 5 mm forward in order to allow the rear portion of the pedal clearance to the exhaust. On the left side the shift rod just barely clears. I could adjust the pedal position to give it a bit more clearance but I like it where it is now so I left it. I'll probably paint them flat black eventually but they look too pretty right now to hide 'em. I'll take a wrench along on the first twisty ride in case I have to unscrew the peg feelers.

Marc

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent work. Just perfect.
Thank you! Between the MT-03 bars, Saddlemen gel seat, ZG Sport Touring shield and lowered pegs this bike is getting downright comfortable :D

Marc

·
Registered
175 Posts
You must be a tall fella. Almost a full inch? I'd be cautious about catching a toe. Caught my left one twice this past month. Luckily for me they were both intersection left turns from a dead stop. Still scary though.

Got a little damp this afternoon on the 22 fwy, just enough to muck up the shine.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You must be a tall fella. Almost a full inch? I'd be cautious about catching a toe. Caught my left one twice this past month. Luckily for me they were both intersection left turns from a dead stop. Still scary though.

Got a little damp this afternoon on the 22 fwy, just enough to muck up the shine.
I'm not tall at all, 5'10" if I'm lucky. I was just trying to relax my knees a bit. I just went out and checked and with me on the bike the top of the peg is a bit more than 11" off the ground. I would imagine that you're riding with your heels hooked on the pegs and your toes hanging down. Even riding like that I'm surprised you were able to catch your boot unless you have very long feet. I ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs and when I'm going through the twisties I move my feet back instinctively so that the area right behind my toes are on the pegs. In any case, its a good point and I'll make sure to take notice of any potential problem. I also left the long peg feelers in place so I can see how much sooner they hit if at all. Previously I haven't had an issue with them touching down at all. One good thing about this mod is that it's reversible in about 10 minutes if it doesn't work out :)

Marc

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Good job on the nice brackets, but I see no reason to lower those pegs! I'm 5'10", and I think the R3 is just about the most comfortable bike I have been on. I'm used to riding a CBR1000RR, so the R3 is like relaxing in a LaZboy by comparison. But that is one of the reasons I got it. I wanted a more comfortable bike to ride around town. I need a set of those custom lowering brackets for my CBR!

·
Registered
25 Posts
how did this work out for you. What thickness is aluminum (1/2")? did you allow for original bolt pass through depth or drill passthrough holes in chassis. i definitely see myself doing this mod soon as 6ft with bad knees

1 - 13 of 13 Posts