Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On previous models, we can lower our clip ons by swapping it under the clamp.

For the 2019 model, it is configured a little differently. Can we still lower it without changing clip ons? (newbie)

·
Registered
15 Posts
IIRC, the clip ons on the 2019 R3 is already lower than the previous generations. I don't remember by how much, but I would think that it would be similar to the first gen relocating it under the triple tree clamp. I'd also assume that it would be possible to lower it even more, but I have a feeling that it's going to interfere with body work at that point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The clip-ons are under the triple clamp on the 2019 model. I just lowered mine about an inch further to have a better and sportier stance/ position.
There is about a 3/4 inch gap between the handle bars and triple clamps now. Feels awesome :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
With the new one, all you have to do is unbolt it from where it is now, slide it down, and tighten the clamp bolt in the new location, then check for clearance with steering movement. Far easier than on the old model.

It's possible that the handlebar has a bolt holding it to the bottom of the triple clamp (Kawasaki does this frequently, not sure about Yamaha) and if it does, simply remove it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here are some pics of that mod on the 2019. If you lower the front at the same time it instantly changes the stance :) much more comfortable (and sportier), especially if you are a taller rider like myself.

Also, zero clearance issues. Handle bars touch nothing from left to right..

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics of that mod on the 2019. If you lower the front at the same time it instantly changes the stance /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_smile.png much more comfortable (and sportier), especially if you are a taller rider like myself.

Also, zero clearance issues. Handle bars touch nothing from left to right..

Yo dude this is exactly what i was looking for! Spot on man thanks alot, i will probably try ask my mechanic to help do this

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is there a negative effect on handlinG?

Does lowering the bars like this result in a negative effect on handling? I was curious about lowering the bars on my 2019 as well, but am reluctant because I do not understand what the effect will be on handling. Is the effect positional; i.e., less severe or more severe depending on how much more the bars are lowered?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Does lowering the bars like this result in a negative effect on handling? I was curious about lowering the bars on my 2019 as well, but am reluctant because I do not understand what the effect will be on handling. Is the effect positional; i.e., less severe or more severe depending on how much more the bars are lowered?
You're not adjusting your suspension geometry so your bike will handle the same.

Lowering your bar gives you an aggressive riding position which will free up some cockpit space if you feel cramped on the bike but it also adds considerable more pressure on your wrists. I wouldn't recommend lowering your bar if you do a lot of distance riding or are in general have no issues with the fit of the bike.

·
Registered
327 Posts
There is a bolt that goes through the top of the triple and bolts to the handlebar clamp. Remove it? Or replace it with a longer bolt? Pic attached.
It's just an alignment bolt so it's not necessary to replace. Aftermarket clip ons forego them anyways.

If you're not familiar with lining up bars align one of your bars to an angle you like. Measure from bar end to a central point on your gas tank and copy that to the other side. Also don't forget to measure how far down you've distanced the bar.

·
Registered
57 Posts
So what about raising the clip ons on the 2019s? Moving them above the triple tree, is that possible/doable?
I actually want the little extra height it would give me on the bars.

I started a thread on this but haven't gotten any responses yet. Seems kinda relevant to this thread so...
TIA

·
Registered
10 Posts
So what about raising the clip ons on the 2019s? Moving them above the triple tree, is that possible/doable?
I actually want the little extra height it would give me on the bars.

I started a thread on this but haven't gotten any responses yet. Seems kinda relevant to this thread so...
TIA
Honestly there is no visible way to do that for free at this point, unless; Lower the front triple clamps about an inch then relocate the handle bars to the top (2015-2018 style), yes your stance will in fact be taller, however your overall body position may or may not notice that, as in will you actually be more comfortable? Don't know..

·
Registered
141 Posts
^ Doing that will screw with the suspension geometry (steepening the rake and shortening the trail) and reduce available bump travel in compression (I don't know how much reserve travel is available before the front fender collides with the bottom of the upper fairing at max bump travel). There are ways to lower the suspension while minimising the bad side effects but it's to be avoided unless necessary (e.g. short rider).

You can get aftermarket handlebars from Woodcraft, etc., which have a rise built in. They'll still clamp on under the top triple but the bars will sit higher. That's the way to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
^ Doing that will screw with the suspension geometry (steepening the rake and shortening the trail) and reduce available bump travel in compression (I don't know how much reserve travel is available before the front fender collides with the bottom of the upper fairing at max bump travel). There are ways to lower the suspension while minimising the bad side effects but it's to be avoided unless necessary (e.g. short rider).

You can get aftermarket handlebars from Woodcraft, etc., which have a rise built in. They'll still clamp on under the top triple but the bars will sit higher. That's the way to go.

That's what I needed to hear, Thanks.

Later on down the road I may look into getting the rise bars. For now I'll deal with it. I did hit the 1K mile break in yesterday so maybe I'll learn to like them the way they are now that I can ride it harder. :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well, one more thing. Is it possible to rotate the bars back (inwards) some? Kinda more on the lines of a Ninja.

Understanding that I have to make sure there's no wrong contact of anything on full turns.

TIA

·
Registered
141 Posts
That is certainly possible. Check for a bolt that points upward from the bottom through the handlebar into the bottom of the upper triple clamp ... if present, remove it. (Kawasaki likes doing that. No idea if Yamaha does, but it's easy to find out ... just look for it and remove if it's there.) Then you can loosen the clamp bolt and position the handlebars fore/aft (or lower) wherever you want them, as long as they maintain sufficient clearance.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Answered the above post. See post #10 in this thread. Remove that bolt. Then loosen the clamp bolt and position the handlebars where you want them, snug clamp bolt, check for clearance, correct if necessary, job done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, that's exactly what I did to mine after the first ride. I lowered them but didn't move them in towards the tank yet. I want to get something like the Woodcraft clipons to move the handlebars forward a bit, then might rotate them in. I'm a little tall for the bike in stock trim (6'0")

·
Registered
57 Posts
That is certainly possible. Check for a bolt that points upward from the bottom through the handlebar into the bottom of the upper triple clamp ... if present, remove it. (Kawasaki likes doing that. No idea if Yamaha does, but it's easy to find out ... just look for it and remove if it's there.) Then you can loosen the clamp bolt and position the handlebars fore/aft (or lower) wherever you want them, as long as they maintain sufficient clearance.

Thanks! Wanted to make 100% certain before monkeying around with something as important as the bars.

Will try adjusting them and see if that'll helps me any. Thanks Again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts