Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I came across some videos on youtube about lowering the R3 handle bars. Basically it is just stock handle clip on to below the triple clamp.

Is it safe to do this? Will it affect the bike handling negatively?

·
Registered
732 Posts
The way the stock handle bars are shaped, I think they'd be very awkward under the ripple clamp. Any changes like that-I.e. moving handle bars-affect the geometry and so the handling. Also, it'll feel different from the change in rider position.

This thread is very helpful, and thanks to forum members trying various brands and types of clip-ons, they have shared their experiences with setting them up, comparing them, how they affect cabling, any interference issues, etc.

It.smreally a great read. I like the stock handlebars, but there are some nice clipons out there from Graves, Woodcraft, Vortex, and the awesome but crazily expensive Dimotiv Moto Gene handlebars.

LINK TO THE R3 FORMS CLIP-ON THREAD

·
Registered
56 Posts
I dropped my stock clip ons under the triple clamp and moved my rearsets back with some brackets from eBay. Cheap way of making the riding position more focused, and I love it. Feels much better around the corners for sure.

I had no problems using my stock bars, all I had to do was reposition the banjo bolt on the MC a little bit. Just very carefully back the torque off so you can move it with some padded grips, no more than you need to. Keeping pressure on the lever will help to keep air out too. If you get any leakage when doing it, bleed the lines just in case!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You can use the stock clip Ons under the triple, just make sure there's enough clearance for the throttle cables.

The driven clip ons are really nice

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I will try get a cheap aftermarket clip ons rather than mlving them under the triple clam. I have no experience in motorcycle parts and im afraid I mess things up. But we'll see maybe I'll be daring enough to try it one day. Haha

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks guys. I will try get a cheap aftermarket clip ons rather than mlving them under the triple clam. I have no experience in motorcycle parts and im afraid I mess things up. But we'll see maybe I'll be daring enough to try it one day. Haha
Vortex clip-ons are really nice and moderately priced compared to some others. A lot of forum members have the Vortex one's. Jesse, who's screen name is jbluetooth posted a lot in the clip-on thread and is a vendor. His blog and store site (dub dub dub dot YamahaR3Racing dot com)has a lot of How To's and he sells clip-ons. You should ask him about a forum member discount. Here's Jesse's how to post "Install aftermarket clip-Ons.".

Graves has some really nice stuff. Their clip-ons are tight but pricey at $224. The Dan Moto's look to have tons of adjustability, and are priced at toward the lower end of the aftermarket clip-on price bracket at $106.

Here are the Dan Moto 41mm "3D" riser clip-ons->LINK TO DAN MOTO 3D CLIP-ONS

Here are the Graves riser clip-ons->LINK TO GRAVES 41mm CLIP-ONS

Just some ideas and recommendations to let your mind marinade on.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vortex clip-ons are really nice and moderately priced compared to some others. A lot of forum members have the Vortex one's. Jesse, who's screen name is jbluetooth posted a lot in the clip-on thread and is a vendor. His blog and store site (dub dub dub dot YamahaR3Racing dot com)has a lot of How To's and he sells clip-ons. You should ask him about a forum member discount. Here's Jesse's how to post "Install aftermarket clip-Ons.".

Graves has some really nice stuff. Their clip-ons are tight but pricey at $224. The Dan Moto's look to have tons of adjustability, and are priced at toward the lower end of the aftermarket clip-on price bracket at $106.

Here are the Dan Moto 41mm "3D" riser clip-ons->LINK TO DAN MOTO 3D CLIP-ONS

Here are the Graves riser clip-ons->LINK TO GRAVES 41mm CLIP-ONS

Just some ideas and recommendations to let your mind marinade on.
Thanks for the recommendation. Yeah i came across that website however they don't ship to my country, Brunei Darussalam. Which sucks. :( i have to look for them around the asia markets. So if i were to get the vortex clip ons for eg, i will just have to replace the stock clipons and move everything on it to the new vortex clip ons right? I am also looking to get a R6 throttle tube, but most of the websites (Partzilla and a few others do not ship to my country :( )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts