Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks great! How difficult was cutting the stock exhaust? I might get one of these if it's not too bad.
It looks pretty straight forward. Sport Bike Track Gear has a video install and short sound demo on YouTube. Of course, people with first hand experience will reply to you but I figured I'd pipe in! I don't have the necessary tools or garage space to install something similar so I'll be getting it installed if I go M4. I'll be doing an exhaust, PCV and Dynojet QuickShifter so it would make more sense to get it all put on at once.

I'm also considering the Graves slip on and adding Arrow header pipes to make it a full exhaust. I haven't seen anyone use the Arrow headers with another exhaust on here so I'm not sure if I want to be the first. On most bikes the Arrow headers fit right up to other slip ons.

·
Registered
346 Posts
How necessary is it to get a tune to alter the fueling if you install one of these M4 exhausts? I love the look and the sound, but I don't really want to put the time and money into a tune, and from what I heard its recommended since you have to cut the stock headers and remove the cat.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I believe it's just highly recommended, the bike will still run without it but it is even more starved for fuel with a less restrictive exhaust. On this bike the, unfortunate thing is a slip on only does so much because the cat is not contained in the muffler. On bigger bikes (and performance cars with aftermarket communities) a midpipe is usually available to ditch the cat without going for a full exhaust. That's not the case on our bikes at the moment. If you plan on keeping the bike for a while, as I do, it'd be worth it to get a PCV. If it's just a learner bike I wouldn't suggest doing any mods since it doesn't add anything at resale, or stick with a slip on that retains the factory cat.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks great! How difficult was cutting the stock exhaust? I might get one of these if it's not too bad.
It was a piece of cake to install Laurence. I just used a hack saw to cut the cat off and then filed it smooth. It sounds amazing but did pop once in a while if I chopped the throttle at high revs. I just installed the Driven air/smog block off plate and she runs great now, no lean popping at all. I'm very happy with it!

·
Registered
95 Posts
It looks pretty straight forward. Sport Bike Track Gear has a video install and short sound demo on YouTube. Of course, people with first hand experience will reply to you but I figured I'd pipe in! I don't have the necessary tools or garage space to install something similar so I'll be getting it installed if I go M4. I'll be doing an exhaust, PCV and Dynojet QuickShifter so it would make more sense to get it all put on at once.

I'm also considering the Graves slip on and adding Arrow header pipes to make it a full exhaust. I haven't seen anyone use the Arrow headers with another exhaust on here so I'm not sure if I want to be the first. On most bikes the Arrow headers fit right up to other slip ons.
here's a vid using the akra carbon with arrow headers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AArphicGe-U

1 - 19 of 19 Posts