Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps! I was on my way to work this morning and took one of the turns a little faster than I normally do and some how scraped my exhaust. Is this shorty exhaust prone to dragging? I am a little concerned as I will be doing a track day on labor day weekend and don't want to be dragging my exhaust. Is there a fix for this? I really don't want to get another exhaust.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd think if your exhaust is dragging before your pegs you have a problem. Even my stock never dragged only pegs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the rear sets from @jbluetooth. I recently adjusted my rear shock to one click above 0 and me thinks it might be a little to soft (even though I only weigh 110 pounds).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I couldn't flip the bracket it would of put my exhaust up against the swing arm but I loosened up the bracket and was able to raise it a good 3/8 of an inch by lifting up on it while i tightened it which I think should definitely help my clearance issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the rear sets from @jbluetooth. I recently adjusted my rear shock to one click above 0 and me thinks it might be a little to soft (even though I only weigh 110 pounds).
If you've got Jesse's rear sets and are dragging exhaust on the streets then you must of gotten the bike leaned over pretty far. May of been close to max. I'm jealous now. Lol.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you've got Jesse's rear sets and are dragging exhaust on the streets then you must of gotten the bike leaned over pretty far. May of been close to max. I'm jealous now. Lol.
Yes I would say I was at my max. I pushed a little more than I like to on the streets. I actually thought I was going to low side when I heard my exhaust hit the ground as I knew I was close to my limit when I went in to the corner.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Maybe stiffen up the rear shock to raise the rear a little. That will give you a little more ground clearance. Have you considered doing some suspension upgrades? Even at 110, you probably should be at least half way up the preload adjustment.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe stiffen up the rear shock to raise the rear a little. That will give you a little more ground clearance. Have you considered doing some suspension upgrades? Even at 110, you probably should be at least half way up the preload adjustment.
Yeah I was 1 click above factory (4) before and decided to mess with the settings and didn't really like it, It made the bike not want to turn in as well. I also do plan on upgrading my suspension as this bike will more than likely become a dedicated track bike and I'll be coming to you for help :)
I missed out on my first track day at button willow it sold out before I got paid so I might be getting rear shock here pretty soon, any recommendations for a rear shock I was considering the ohlins but if there is something that is similar in quality that is cheaper I'm game for that as well.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Yeah I was 1 click above factory (4) before and decided to mess with the settings and didn't really like it, It made the bike not want to turn in as well. I also do plan on upgrading my suspension as this bike will more than likely become a dedicated track bike and I'll be coming to you for help :)
I missed out on my first track day at button willow it sold out before I got paid so I might be getting rear shock here pretty soon, any recommendations for a rear shock I was considering the ohlins but if there is something that is similar in quality that is cheaper I'm game for that as well.
Please don't buy the Ohlins...I have TONS of info on suspension for this bike and will be writing a very detailed article soon breaking it all down, it's next on my list. But in the meantime, shoot me an email or give me a call, I'd be happy to teach you what I know.
Cheers
Jesse
858 997-8318
[email protected]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts