Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered an M4 Street Slayer whilst the exchange rate is going OK (thanks Trump :|).

Should arrive here in Australia in a few weeks...

I've already got a block off plate ready to be installed and I plan on painting the exhaust headers black at the same time. (no fairing = ugly rust coloured exhaust)

Question for you all: with my work in health and safety, I have a high end, calibrated sound meter at my disposal.

Would people be interested in what the sounds levels are at each stage?

I was thinking of taking readings 1m behind the exhaust with:
- stock system
- no exhaust
- cat converter cut off
- M4 installed

I'll then see how the back firing goes before I install the block off plate.

Any comments or suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Would definitely be interested !

Also, how do you plan on painting the headers? I'd assume that it would have to be something very heat resistant?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was actually thinking about what the real world sound levels would be for the M4! I mainly didn't purchase it because the nearest track to me is strict with the 104db exhaust level. So any data you provide would be greatly appreciated ^_^ #forscience

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Would definitely be interested !

Also, how do you plan on painting the headers? I'd assume that it would have to be something very heat resistant?
There heaps of guides on the internet, but I'll use something like this http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-flameproof-coating

Remove headers, hacksaw off cat (for M4 slip on), sand back to bare metal and then spray on thin coats. Install back on bike and cure as per instructions. Probably use a Matt black colour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts