Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I've been everywhere and googled everything but still have not found an answer. DOES THE STREET SLAYER REQUIRE REPACKING??? If so, where is it currently packed? Under the carbon? I can't see how packing above the pipe would do anything so I don't think that is the case. The baffle/silencer is to small to be packed and wasn't from the start. I just don't get how I did see someone on another forum state it needed done every 5,000 miles but where?!? I personally don't think it has packing but I need a solid answer, please help!

·
Registered
255 Posts
This isn't specifically a Street Slayer, but it's the same idea behind most, if not all, straight through silencers. The packing sits around the perf. tube that goes down the middle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This isn't specifically a Street Slayer, but it's the same idea behind most, if not all, straight through silencers. The packing sits around the perf. tube that goes down the middle.

That's the thing, the only perforated tube is the baffle/insert and it's only 3 sets of three large holes...it slides in and is held in place by a single screw and the main exhaust tube is solid that the baffle slides into. I just don't get it....from what I've seen, I agree that it's like your pic with most but it doesn't seem to be the case with SS. They sell a stage 2 baffle that is longer with a few more large holes to quiet it more but nothing is mentioned about wrapping...very frustrating and M4 doesn't have an email to ask.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i dont own a M4 street slayer but did you actually notice a performance decrease with expended packing? Im suspecting you are asking how to repack because of this. I am very curious how legit this packing stuff is in terms of performance, I know it sound dampens but I dont care about that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i dont own a M4 street slayer but did you actually notice a performance decrease with expended packing? Im suspecting you are asking how to repack because of this. I am very curious how legit this packing stuff is in terms of performance, I know it sound dampens but I dont care about that.
Honestly, I'm not sure if performance is down as I've only ridden maybe 500 miles thus far and the bike has 3800 total. The one post I saw said every 5000 miles but I've found no other info to corroborate that claim...I'm at a loss. I did put a smog block off plate on and that eliminated all pops but I'd still like to know what maintenance needs done.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts