Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi R3 addicts,

Will try to keep it not too long...

So, I will not see her for a few weeks (travel) and wanted to enjoy a good 2-3 days fun. Saw that at the track "near" home they were holding a race. Called the guy, said no worries you can come and participate. Yeah, let's go see what that little wonder does on a track.
Got there one day before, some pilots were already practicing. Whooooo, what a level. Thought would be very amateurish, bad on me... Well, we will see tomorrow.

Saturday, first time on that track for me. All 300cc together, I get passed and hopefully can pass some too. But, and this is a warning to all that are stubborn as I am, the tires Michelin street pilot are not for track use. I slide like **** but at least it's fun... The other guys have good tires (IRC as in Thailand) and some even slicks. One thing make me angry, I cannot break properly at the end of the straight line because the ABS turn on... Got the sensor out, I'm happy, can finally break like I like it... The afternoon session is kind of qualifying. Well, Thai qualifying : you pick a number in a box, that's your starting position. Then go out for 5 laps. Fun again, I do it with the open category, they are all nuts ;). I get to pass one and my style is still holiday on ice.

Sunday, go see the organiser and ask him to lower to street legal category. Again, Thai style, you just need to have your lights. Exhaust, tires or whatever is allowed :). He lowers me, I'm happy as the level is slightly lower than in open. Warm up in the morning, 300cc for about 15 min. I ride correctly, don't abuse on the breaking while leaning and everything seams perfect. 3 pilots stay behind and I even go at large... Until... Last lap, want to try to keep open in a never ending right turn, get to the next tight right faster than thought, grab the break and keep leaning.... when it felt like the front wheel blocked, the handlebar went left right and she and I were eating dirt...

So now she look good :)

Fairing scratched and other small things, nothing too bad hopefully. Had a stupid crash guard that look like this and it broke. Useless ! Better put some engine crankcase covers, forget about the fairing and not fall ;)

After some break problems (disk purple dark, no more breaks), changed the break liquid at the noon break. Was better and could take my position as last on the grid in street category (17th). Finished around 10th, happy to have completed the race after the morning emotions :). It was my first fall.

Now I wonder if the front (lights) could be a little twisted due to the shock. What do you think ?

Thanks to those that weren't scared to read all this :)

Cheers

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Some mods for this week-end race

So, after some funny experience with the Thai post and customs, some parts arrived and I did some mods...

Stripped it a bit

Then she got some new shoes, IRC Z003, race tires. They are much much softer than the Michelin Street original tires.

A nice block off plate from Spears Racing.

Home made air filter entrance, high-flow filter inside

Home made GP shifter with original parts :)

And the power commander for which I have difficulties in finding the good mapping. I tried all the maps on the Dynojet forum (4), some seam better then the others, but none are perfect. I always have a kind of delay when I put full gaz. This happens mostly between 3000-6000 rpm. Top end seams ok, though very hard to say if any power was gained. Riding on the track this week-end might help. I'm taking the computer with me as Friday will be a test day.
Found a sweet app for timing (trackaddict) and it looks it can communicate with the Gopro. If results are nice, might show some vids on the forum.
Looking forward for those 3 track days with those much better tires. Braking seams ok for now (hard to feel it on the road), bought some other pads in case and have some dot4 with me too.

Hope you'll all have a sweet week-end as I will, ride safe, cheers

·
Registered
68 Posts
I can't see the pictures either.

As for the stock tires, I ran 35f and 25r and rode the piss out of her at three track days and they stuck pretty good. But I bought the Bridgestone S20's and they were a lot better for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for answering... Pictures are links to my google pictures, they might be private... As the bike is getting some upgrades for the track, I'll post a new topic in garage and build area... Mods, you can close it here if you feel like it. Regarding pictures, will try to upload them on here instead.
Cheers and see you on the other thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts