Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an R3 to club race at Loudon NH LRRS series. The very tight NHMS track is perfect for lightweight bikes although the R3 is pretty low in bhp with some suspension mods it actually has a very high corner speed. I can stay with just about anyone from turn 9 through turn 12 before they all disappear on the straight. First race weekend I was mid pack in the AM 300 class. Now I have a better Spears Racing JRI shock and look forward to next race weekend. The K-Tech I had raced with was just under damped even at one click out on comp and rebound.

Not your average R3 story but I'm here to see what else is happening in the R3 world.

My garage sort of full right now.

A 2016 R1 60th Anniversary street and track day bike. What an amazing machine. Mostly due to its technology in the rider aids.
A 2015 H-D Road Glide touring bike that is basically my passenger bike.
A 2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 SP that I traded my 996S in for it.
A 2014 Grom that is a wheelie machine with lots of mods for more power
A 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Dual Purpose woods bike.
A 2015 R3 that was purchased from Craigslist for $3700 and promptly made into a race bike.

I will post pics when I get approved.

·
Registered
433 Posts
those are some nice steeds in your stable....show pics of em all!

and enjoy the race build :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
NICE garage! Very similar line-up to what I would have if I could own that many bikes. Glad to hear the R3 is doing well for you on the track.

I picked up an R3 to club race at Loudon NH LRRS series. The very tight NHMS track is perfect for lightweight bikes although the R3 is pretty low in bhp with some suspension mods it actually has a very high corner speed. I can stay with just about anyone from turn 9 through turn 12 before they all disappear on the straight. First race weekend I was mid pack in the AM 300 class. Now I have a better Spears Racing JRI shock and look forward to next race weekend. The K-Tech I had raced with was just under damped even at one click out on comp and rebound.

Not your average R3 story but I'm here to see what else is happening in the R3 world.

My garage sort of full right now.

A 2016 R1 60th Anniversary street and track day bike. What an amazing machine. Mostly due to its technology in the rider aids.
A 2015 H-D Road Glide touring bike that is basically my passenger bike.
A 2016 Ducati Hypermotard 939 SP that I traded my 996S in for it.
A 2014 Grom that is a wheelie machine with lots of mods for more power
A 2012 KTM 350 EXC-F Dual Purpose woods bike.
A 2015 R3 that was purchased from Craigslist for $3700 and promptly made into a race bike.

I will post pics when I get approved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 996 was an amazing machine on the track. Much like sleeping with a super model. Street riding is like holding her hand. The track is like taking her to bed and leaving the lights on. LOL

First my 996S had a lot of work done to the motor. Bruce Myers from the old BCM Ducati had lightened the flywheel and did a single injector mod plus cams. The thing made 123bhp rear wheel on the dyno up from 103 stock. It would wheelie in the first 3 gear on the throttle. It was frighteningly fast as so much was going on to overwhelm you. Noise, vibration, front end coming up and rev limiter banging if you got it wrong. It really handled sublime with the Ohlins front end added to the Ohlins stock rear. Then the full radial front brakes that weren't around when it came out round out a serious package. At full lean you could take your hands off the bars, light a cigarette and blow smoke rings. So stable and it just felt so tiny and effortless to toss into a turn. Still a great bike after all these years. BUT its analog brakes and power delivery was meant for someone with quicker reflexes. These bikes are known to high side you faster than a super model kicking you out of bed for doing something wrong. I've seen more than a few 996's end up wadded at track days back when they first came out. I rode it like it was priceless while on the track. Pretty much just easy corner speed and easy on the brakes and throttle.

Since getting the 2016 R1 and doing one track day I knew the 996 was going to be a garage queen. I found the new R1 to be easy to ride fast without folding me into origami to fit in/onto the thing. Plus the electronics had me sliding the rear on corner exit like I was Rossi. It was just too much fun. I didn't worry about how rare it was either. I just rode it.

I traded the 996S for the new 939 SP Hypermotard that probably gets more use than all my other bikes combined. I will miss the 996 but not on the street. What a torture rack. I've ridden my R1 into the Berkshires for a 300 mile blast of mostly back roads. Got home and didn't have one pain. Not bad for a 53 year old dude on a pretty severe sport bike. The 996 was about 40 minutes tops and I needed to get off of it or I would get stuck on the thing. LOL

Here is a video from last year on the 996S at its last track day on it. The instructor wanted me to go faster but I was enjoying my 75% pace.

https://youtu.be/xJZaMkURwns

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Short Race Report #987
(copied from LRRS Race report)

First race weekend in 10 years was Round 3 at this past Classic. A previous racer (#737) in the EX class had me retire due to cash flow at status JUNIOR. Remember that?

A track experience day auction I won for $150 on my '16 R1 prior to round 2 had me hanging out at in the pits and getting the fever to race again. That turned into staying all weekend with my glamper not moving till Sunday. On Monday I looked at Craigslist and saw a used Yamaha R3 for $3700. It was mine 3 hours later. A short drive to Peter Kates GMD Computrack Boston rather than taking the bike home had me turn it over to him to get it ready for the next round. It cost me a bit more cash to have him do the work but it was totally worth it!!! Money can be acquired but time I'm short on.

Next step was the Penguin school requirement to attend. The two day was a blast and it gave me plenty of time on the track to get the R3 up to speed. Lucky for me the crew allowed me to skip over NV and go right to the AM class due to my prior racing and OK lap times with the R3.

Round 3

The K-tech rear shock let me down. With damping one click away from fully closed it was a pogo ride. Still I managed to finish in the middle of the Formula 300 class with a 5th out of 8 people.

Round 4

The K-tech was sent back to the factory and Peter Kates swapped in a JRI Spears Racing shock. It was much better but each time out I was dialing in more damping.

The Formula 300 race I made the podium with a 3rd place. Lap times down into the 1:29's

In Sunday's Amateur Ultralight Thunderbike race I got a 2nd place and was leading the race for the first lap. Starting the 300's a row behind a bunch of motards in the same wave had us all clog up in turn 1 and 1A where I was able to jump past a bunch of them where I found myself in first place. Race winner Phil O'Donnel passed me on the main straight like I weighed 70 pounds more than he does. Which I probably do. It felt great to be out front and not have anyone slowing me down and I put in my fastest lap time so far on the R3. A 1:
27.6. Then I ran into traffic and was in the 1:28's most of the race.

Next race weekend I hope to get lap times down another second and hold onto first place if I get the chance. I may do nothing but loose weight between now and then. How much weight does it take to get another bhp?

I hope to post some pics soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts