Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Brake Master Cylinder are you guys running looking to improve the stock one on my Wife’s 2016 R3? Already has Versah pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I upgraded to spiegler ss brakes lines and made a noticeable difference in the braking. it grabs faster and is a lot more sensitive. I got the spiegler cause they have ss lines for ABS, which i have. They were great and their customer support is amazing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I upgraded to spiegler ss brakes lines and made a noticeable difference in the braking. it grabs faster and is a lot more sensitive. I got the spiegler cause they have ss lines for ABS, which i have. They were great and their customer support is amazing.
The master cylinder block bugs me the wrong way - I can't bring my brake lever lower cause of the size/position.
Once its time for brake fluid change - do you guys think its worth looking into changing the master cylinder to something more ergo to let me move the lever lower so my wrist is neutral when riding (already did that on my clutch side - feels so much better)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The master cylinder block bugs me the wrong way - I can't bring my brake lever lower cause of the size/position.
Once its time for brake fluid change - do you guys think its worth looking into changing the master cylinder to something more ergo to let me move the lever lower so my wrist is neutral when riding (already did that on my clutch side - feels so much better)
Is it because of of the throttle taking so much to open. You can change the throw amount on the throttle by easily changing out to an R6 throttle tube. I have one on order and should be receiving it today. This will make the distance on the throttle to wide open a lot less and less movement of your wrist. I am constantly adjusting my wrist on the throttle because of the long throw on the stock tube. Really easy mod and can order the part on amazon.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it because of of the throttle taking so much to open.
OMG that too is something that hit me as a surprise on my first 250kms ride, consistently reposition my hand when in a 100 vs 70 vs 50 speed zones - on my things to do for next season! Ended up taking 4 breaks along the way to re-energize instead of the planned 2.
Gonna get it from Yamaha dealer since its super affordable and has a week delay, but this is the actually black box that holds the brake fluid, it hits the steering if I lower my brake lever. I'll post a picture of what I mean at some point (trying to run out for a ride right now lol) - I'm gonna search the forum first so I don't double up.
Following this thread to see what ppl suggest for Master cylinders replacement (& if its even worth it).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I plan on updating the line with SS line also along with the MC

And yes R6 throttle Tube is the way to go .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Out of any mod I've done to my bike, the R6 throttle tube is probably the best bang for buck in terms of the difference it made. You don't have to change your hand position all the time and it feels much snappier when accelerating (doesn't actually improve acceleration).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Did mine tonight, got the order in from amazon and went home and 20min later i was going out on a test. It is a normal throttle now. It was the most annoying thing was burying my wrist to open up and then the return, i bet ppl thought i was trying to fly... lol. It is cheap, it is easy to do, and it make the absolute world of difference. Why would yamaha do this when they already use this part for both the R1 and R6? It even has the same hand grip which made it even easier.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Why would yamaha do this when they already use this part for both the R1 and R6?
Because R3's are typically ridden by newer riders so it makes them less jumpy/twitchy when accelerating. It's the same for a lot of lower powered bikes these days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Because R3's are typically ridden by newer riders so it makes them less jumpy/twitchy when accelerating. It's the same for a lot of lower powered bikes these days.
very forgiving but do you guys find the learning curve is super sharp hence the throttle thing gets annoying - once I got the friction zone under check and "good clutch control" cause I have only stalled once since I got the bike lol. I started having issues throttle side, the extra give really helped me hone in on the delicate twists necessary for consistent power using one of the many styles I discovered.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts