Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently moved cross country and I transported my bike in the back of my truck and now I have these spots on the front of my bike. They don't look like scratches and I've tried everything to get rid of them, I even bought that expensive f11 cleaner and it still won't go away. Any advice?

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the same problem with my tail end. I believe it's just one of the perks of matte paint :(

Need to apply sealant before the problem happens.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Strange, my wife and I recently did a 3000 mile trip through both sunny and stormy conditions and her bike is the matte black with no similar issues. We did have a thick coat of Turtle Wax ICE on it so that may have helped. I haven't noticed any discoloration on the bike. As sLing said it may just be an issue of not having had a sealant on it. We have kept a nice heavy coating on ours from day one and never had any issues with cleaning off any marks.

The paint in the pictures looks a bit dull (may be from the lighting) did you have any kind of protectant on it before you took the trip?

Normally I would recommend a clay bar for stubborn marks but I'm not sure if that's safe on the matte paint or not.

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
Any possibility you used a tarp or covering over your R3 on the cross country transport in the back of your truck? It looks like it's simply rubbed off the "matte" from the finish. That's just a guess, but it looks concentrated in the curve of the panels, and would explain why few other complaints have been reported.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any possibility you used a tarp or covering over your R3 on the cross country transport in the back of your truck? It looks like it's simply rubbed off the "matte" from the finish. That's just a guess, but it looks concentrated in the curve of the panels, and would explain why few other complaints have been reported.
I think Airhead might be right? I experienced the same thing trying to get the stupid warning label off the gas tank on my 2019. I have less than 100 miles on it :mad::mad:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think Airhead might be right? I experienced the same thing trying to get the stupid warning label off the gas tank on my 2019. I have less than 100 miles on it :mad::mad:

For removing labels/stickers I always have success with a hair dryer on low. It warms up the adhesive and helps the decal/label/sticker to release eaiser. Then use warm to hot soapy water/wash rag to get the remaining adhesive off.

As for the matte finish issues, sorry I'm no help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not put a sealant on it before the trip. I had the a cover on it during most of the trip. It only has a little over 1,100 miles on it. Is painting or replacing the front fairing the only option to fix it. It's driving me crazy haha because I have already put so much into the bike and its perfect except for that flaw.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm guessing the wind was blowing on the cover most of the trip causing it to rub against the fairing.

It's very difficult to correct matte paint. Cheapest option would be to replace the fairing. (I think it's like $40 bucks assuming only one fairing was damaged)

Also definitely do not use clay bar on matte paint, it will remove the matte finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was really windy, I was driving through Wyoming and Nebraska with 60 mph wind gusts to get to Delaware. I'm still a little new to riding, do you know where I could find the part online and would it already be in matte black?

·
Super Moderator
950 Posts
It was really windy, I was driving through Wyoming and Nebraska with 60 mph wind gusts to get to Delaware. I'm still a little new to riding, do you know where I could find the part online and would it already be in matte black?
You can always go to your local Yamaha Dealer for help ordering this part. They may be a little more expensive, but you may be more comfortable paying the extra since this part already appears to be reasonably priced. Here is one vendor. there are plenty more. I have a 2019 R3 parts list pulled up, windshield diagram includes front fairing/cowling.. Look closely at diagram.. I believe your part is #7 , but you need to verify. This is an OEM part # and will be the same anywhere, and with any other vendor. 2019 R3 Matte Black#2 code=MLB2. If nothing else.. this schematic shows you how many parts are involved in the front cowling assembly.. and all those parts that need to be removed and reassembled. Good Luck.
https://www.revzilla.com/oem/yamaha/2019-yamaha-r3/windshield?submodel=yzfr3kb

·
Registered
252 Posts
You can always go to your local Yamaha Dealer for help ordering this part. They may be a little more expensive, but you may be more comfortable paying the extra since this part already appears to be reasonably priced. Here is one vendor. there are plenty more. I have a 2019 R3 parts list pulled up, windshield diagram includes front fairing/cowling.. Look closely at diagram.. I believe your part is #7 , but you need to verify. This is an OEM part # and will be the same anywhere, and with any other vendor. 2019 R3 Matte Black#2 code=MLB2. If nothing else.. this schematic shows you how many parts are involved in the front cowling assembly.. and all those parts that need to be removed and reassembled. Good Luck.
https://www.revzilla.com/oem/yamaha/2019-yamaha-r3/windshield?submodel=yzfr3kb

If you end up ordering a new fairing, keep in mind that it will most likely NOT come with any of the OEM stripes/stickers included. You will most likely have to order them separately-

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you end up ordering a new fairing, keep in mind that it will most likely NOT come with any of the OEM stripes/stickers included. You will most likely have to order them separately-
Sticker is included in this case since part 7 is indicating the whole fairing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts