Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went down to Hallett for the weekend to ride with MCRA. They are sort of a hybrid group, like my home org (Trackaddix), in that they run their events as track days but they also have a couple of races each day for licensed racers, as well as a race clinic for those wishing to get into racing. As such, their grids are unfortunately pretty small (around 6-7).

First race was unfortunately a big disappointment because as soon as I launched my shift linkage literally broke in half (the clevis part on the ball joint), and I was stuck in 2nd gear. Race over before I even made it to turn 1 :(. I was bummed because looking at lap times I knew I had the pace to fight for 3rd place.

I looked around the paddock for a spare, but there was nobody else there with an R3 and the two other linkages I got from someone did not work since the R3 has that odd offset/curved linkage design. As I sat around looking at my bikes all disappointed I realized that the ZX6R also uses a similar design, so I thought maybe that one will work. Lo' and behold, it freakin worked!! lol It wasn't perfect, there was still a bit of rubbing, and I had to use a narrower push rod which thankfully I had with me, but I got it to work once I cut that off a bit shorter to get my shift lever in a similar position. Did a practice session Sunday morning and everything held up just fine!

Second race on Sunday we had 7 people on the grid. 2 experts that are in a world of their own who lapped the entire field, and the rest of us amateurs. This was a 15-lap race (14 for me since I got lapped), and my pace was way off from the leaders. My goal was to not get lapped by them, but they got me on lap 13 lol. Anyway, the guy who had finished 3rd on Saturday was a bit off his pace for some reason and was slower this time around, while I improved my pace by about a second, so after I passed him on lap 2, I rode a lonely race. Finished 3rd overall. Surprisingly even though I had nobody to follow, I still did my best laps at the very end, but the disappointment is that I was still quite a bit off pace from last year, on both bikes. On the ZX6R I was about 3 seconds off my pace from last year, and on the R3 I was about 3-4 seconds off from when I had the CBR500 out there.

Now that I got some decent time on the R3, I can definitely say it feels lighter than the 500, speed is comparable, maybe just a touch slower but barely...but for some reason it doesn't feel as stable to me. I don't have much confidence in the front end especially once I'm at a pretty good lean angle. Maybe it's that 120 tire...I will switch to the 110 when the time comes to get new tires and see how that one feels.

Reactions: Kojiiro and VULGR

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't really answer that since this is the only tire I've ridden on. I set up the bike based on info from some of you guys on here that have a lot more experience with it. There was no changes. This is the baseline, my starting point! lol

·
Registered
424 Posts
I tried a 120 front on my old ninja 300 because I was looking for more edge grip whilst trail braking and found the same issue with the confidence. While I knew I had more edge on the 120 it didn't give me as good feedback because it was squeezed onto the small rim and the edge just tapered away instead of a definitive edge

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I currently run a 120 slick up front, and with a lil' geometry change, everything went pretty smooth. I got real fast at my first race. At other tracks, I'm still optimizing the geometry, need more time to setup correctly.

120 was a taller tire by 7mm, so I lowered ~3.5mm per the tire guy recommendation.
But lowered from what? What was your starting point? How high do you have the forks above the triple? What about shock length? My shock length is set to 10 mm longer than stock, and the forks are about 25-26 mm above the top triple. Running 120/150 SC1's

·
Registered
364 Posts
But lowered from what? What was your starting point? How high do you have the forks above the triple? What about shock length? My shock length is set to 10 mm longer than stock, and the forks are about 25-26 mm above the top triple. Running 120/150 SC1's
Starting point was stock setting. Raised rear shock 9mm. Dont remember how many mm fron forks were showing on top of the top triples, but now, they are 35mm. If I go to a tight and twisty track, then I go as low as 40mm of fork showing

You should make a drastic change as a starting point, so you know if the direction was okay or not. 5mm would be a drastic change.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also spent the last half an hour going over my data from the data logger and compared one of my best laps from this race to my best ever lap I did last year on the CBR500. The difference between those laps was 4.5 seconds, but the data shows some surprising things. There were only 4 turns out of the 10 where I was faster on the 500 than on the R3, and the rest were roughly the same or slightly better on the R3. For the 4 where I was slower on the R3 it was a huge difference, just a few mph....but it looks like the biggest difference was in top speed. This is a small track, but it does have 3 short straights, and pretty much everywhere I had a higher top speed on the 500 by about 4-6 mph. Also looked like it got up to speed a bit quicker (aka...more grunt out of corners, better mid-range power).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starting point was stock setting. Raised rear shock 9mm. Dont remember how many mm fron forks were showing on top of the top triples, but now, they are 35mm. If I go to a tight and twisty track, then I go as low as 40mm of fork showing

You should make a drastic change as a starting point, so you know if the direction was okay or not. 5mm would be a drastic change.
35 to 40 mm?? Holy crap!! Is it not twitchy as fuk with that setup? lol

I will say I had no issues at all with dragging any parts of the bike at full lean so I can probably afford to lower the front a bit. I suppose I can go to 30mm and see how that goes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Let us know how the bike runs with 35mm or 40mm of forks above triple. Curious as well. I dropped my fronts 5mm from stock and hardly felt any difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts