Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

New owner and new idiot here,
In an attempt to remove the front handlebars and... what's it called? y-bar? I stupidly removed the caps to both front suspension forks. Now, obviously, I can't get the suspension to compress back in to re-cap the tubes due to all the weight on the front end. I see all kinds of jacks and stands online, but they almost all seem to rely on lifting the front tire, which doesn't help me as I'm trying to take weight OFF the front end. There is a pretty awesome Bursig stand that would probably do the trick, but it's pricey and would take quite a while to arrive...

Any ideas? A local mechanic suggested a jack and a piece of wood to try and hit the front end of the frame, but space is really tight in there, and I'm not sure I can get it without the bike wanting to just fall over. Another thought was lifting via ropes, but I can't attach to the ceiling where the bike is now. Possibly building an a-frame to lift from, but I'm hoping to find a much simpler way to do this as this is (hopefully) the only time I'll be in this particular situation.

Thanks for any ideas!
And the reason I'm trying to take off the front handlebars is to get the ignition barrel out- an attempted thief broke off the tip of a key inside and I need to take it to a locksmith.

-Ian

·
Registered
542 Posts
I've changed my front tire with a truck/car jack under the headers and a rear stand in a pinch. Just use a board or something to spread the weight out.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you just need to remove the handlebars and the upper triple tree clamp (which has the ignition module attached) you can buy a front stand that lifts from the lower triple tree clamp. Pitbull sells a stand that is popular and does this nicely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've changed my front tire with a truck/car jack under the headers and a rear stand in a pinch. Just use a board or something to spread the weight out.
Is that safe? I read some other folks advising very much against trying to jack it up by the exhaust, but I think they were talking about much heavier bikes...

If you just need to remove the handlebars and the upper triple tree clamp (which has the ignition module attached) you can buy a front stand that lifts from the lower triple tree clamp. Pitbull sells a stand that is popular and does this nicely.
Really? I was actually checking out their website and didn't see anything other than ones that attached on the lower forks/wheel, which would still give me the same problem with compression. Can you link it?

·
Registered
811 Posts
You need to get the Hybrid Converter that attaches to the fork type lift. This then lifts from the bottom of the triple tree.

Pit-Bull makes wonderful stands that will last your lifetime. I have a front, with the hybrid adapter, and rear from them. I know I am, at least, the second owner, of these stands. I was showing you the cheapest and fastest way to do it. That way you don't have to wait for the stand to show up if you order one. You can pick up Pit-Bull stands from Cycle Gear or many other online sellers.

·
Registered
856 Posts
For starters,
(forgetting the front for a minute) is it on a rear stand at the moment,
one with spools, not the useless L bracket ones?

This will make it stable while you jack the front.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Firstly, have the rear wheel on a stand with the spools as Aufitt said.

And then you have two options;

If you have frame sliders of some sort that stick out enough you can put some car jacks on top of some bricks or something underneath them to take the weight. Thats what I did.

Or you can put a jack underneath your engine, there is a flat spot in the oil sump on the left hand side. But, this will be slightly off balance so you will have to find a way to support the right hand side a little or have someone hold it steady while you work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I ended up figuring out what Harisonh mentioned with a flat spot underneath after investigating more, and with my car jack and a few pieces of wood plus a helper got it high enough to re-cap the front suspension.

After all this I'm still defeated from my original problem, though- so if anyone else runs into a situation where they can't turn the key (steering lock is engaged), it also prevents removing the upper triple fork: the lock pin catches on a part of the center pivot and you can't pull it off.
So I learned a **** of a lot about my bike, but I still have to call a mobile locksmith.

But thanks for all the suggestions, and I'm definitely getting a rear stand for future work (if nothing else it'll make lubricating the chain much simpler.)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts