Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if I'm the only one that suffers this or if it's normal..

Current mods: Akra FS with baffle in, block off plate, bazzaz z-fi with map from Jbluetooth, BMC air filter.

Bike runs fine, except I find at mid range around 6000 rpm if I increase throttle moderately I can literally feel the big stagger forward.
It feels like a hesitation i.e. slow down followed by a lurch forward. Not sure how else to describe it.

On occasion I've had weird issues with idle fluctuating at low RPM however this has mostly gone since the Bazzaz + fuel map from Jesse.

The map from Jesse is tuned for 91 pump California, which is equivalent to 96 in New Zealand.
Manual in NZ says 91 or higher octane, which gives me the options of 91, 95 or 98 - so 95 is closest to the fuel map I have.

I'm at 12,000km and replaced spark plugs which seemed leanish (not too bad) at 10,000.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm running Jesse's/Spears yoshi map and have the sputtering all over the place but with the pcv my only two options are get dynoed or get autotune. I'm getting annoying and hoping it fixes it(pcv auto tune applies realtime while running) do you have a bmc race filter? He suggested that. It got worse but it honestly depends on the temp and humidity. Colder weather and dryer humidity seems to be what it prefers but it just dumps gas. Yay!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,307 Posts
Bike runs fine, except I find at mid range around 6000 rpm if I increase throttle moderately I can literally feel the big stagger forward.
There's been several topics on this, dead spot in that rpm area seems normal unfortunately.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Coming from a car background, I had this issue on my old Nissan 200sx. Between different generations of the same engine, the community found that some of the engine heads performed better than others and it was typical for people chasing big power to swap the newer heads out for the older ones - turns out the older heads, with less technology, had a much larger intake port, so it allowed the mid section to breathe better on its own. That said; unless you've got the coin to throw at porting your intake, it's probably something you'll have to live with! Bolt on mods will help give you more power etc, but they won't fix the power curve which results from the intake size.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Unfortunately thats exactly where there is a power 'flat spot'. Meaning, as the bike increases in revs from about 5500 to about 6500/7000 ish it isnt increasing in power output.

IIRC, not too much you can do about it. You might be able to find more info the the big ol' Akrapovic thread.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm not dead... but let's call it slow response/sputter all inbetween 6,000/7,500

·
Registered
350 Posts
Oh man I didn't realize he was running an akra... are they not made for the 250?
I'm running a yoshi r77... I'm using taptalk and for whatever reason search sucks.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Oh man I didn't realize he was running an akra... are they not made for the 250?
I'm running a yoshi r77... I'm using taptalk and for whatever reason search sucks.

I just emailed you again Rayna, I'm not sure if I ever asked if you were running the baffle installed in your exhaust. If you have it removed, that would explain the poor running since the map is tuned for the baffle installed. I forget to ask this sometimes.

uluxus, I just emailed you a new map that has solved this issue with some bikes. Let me know

Jesse

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've managed to record a video at a track day in the weekend which shows the issue I'm referring to:
https://sendvid.com/h5s71znf

The engine is cold, which exaggerates the issue, but it's a good example of what the bike does when accelerating mid range 5-7k rpm and increasing slightly.

Does anyone know if this reflects a poor AFR ratio, or something else?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wondering if I'm the only one that suffers this or if it's normal..

Current mods: Akra FS with baffle in, block off plate, bazzaz z-fi with map from Jbluetooth, BMC air filter.

It feels like a hesitation i.e. slow down followed by a lurch forward. Not sure how else to describe it.

On occasion I've had weird issues with idle fluctuating at low RPM however this has mostly gone since the Bazzaz + fuel map from Jesse.

The map from Jesse is tuned for 91 pump California, which is equivalent to 96 in New Zealand.
Manual in NZ says 91 or higher octane, which gives me the options of 91, 95 or 98 - so 95 is closest to the fuel map I have.

I'm at 12,000km and replaced spark plugs which seemed leanish (not too bad) at 10,000.

Any ideas?

I have a PCV with a map provided by Motomummy . com and a TYGA slip on exhaust and my R3 feels the same way. When I increase the throttle around that RPM my bike will "bog" so to speak and lunge forward, as you said happened to yours. It literally feels like power is cut off, then reapplied. It didn't do it before adding the PCV. For me, using no-ethanol gas lowers the frequency of this bogging ( tried 93 ethanol gas vs 89 no-ethanol gas as a test) but it drives me crazy when it happens... and is scary during track days

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've managed to record a video at a track day in the weekend which shows the issue I'm referring to:

The engine is cold, which exaggerates the issue, but it's a good example of what the bike does when accelerating mid range 5-7k rpm and increasing slightly.

I didn't watch the video but it shouldn't be spluttering with the right tune. You could plug the power commander in and change the amount of fuel delivered in that rev range and see if there's any improvement otherwise it might only be sorted with a dyno tune.

A separate issue though... <7k rpm at the track is way too low, mine wouldn't see below 9k rpm unless I'm taking off or stopping

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haven't heard of doing that before, is there any more info/photos of how/what needs to be done? Is it OK to do that on a street bike given it rides in the rain etc?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sounds like the consensus is to leave it alone.

Over the weekend I ended up opening the bike up, and re-traced the Bazzaz wiring, and cable tied the snaplock jumpers into place so they can't move, cleaned the battery terminals, spark plugs.

Also loaded the Bazzaz software up and did a full clear (previously loaded over existing).

Filled the bike up with 91 RON and hoping it's not a placebo but it seemed to run better, so will see how it goes now. I found it a lot harder to replicate the issue.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I noticed that my bike has a gearbox clearance, and MAYBE it could explain the "hesitation":

With the bike turned off in the first gear, put it in 90º, pull and push it fornt/rear and check the behavior.

I had 3 bikes before the R3 and none had a so big clearance.
Does it make any sense for you guys?

If I'm in acceleration and suddenly push the gas = no hesitation
If I'm keeping a constant speed and suddenly push the gas = hesitation

I'll check this in my friend's R3s...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went to a dealer yesterday and checked that all Yamaha models has the same behavior: XJ6, MT07, R3 and MT03, so it cannot be considered as issue :(

·
Registered
538 Posts
I heard with the Ftecu flash that this is no long an issue. Tuner said it was close loop fuel and timing in the base maps.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts

This is an old thread and you likely won't see this, but I think your gear is too high for the track and you should be down 1 gear from where you are. Ideally, you should be cruising in the power band which is 9,000-11,000 RPMs and revving the absolute piss out it. If you were to have another track day but put some more power into things, I bet you'd have a significantly more enjoyable time and without the flatspots.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts