Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just had my recall done and when I got home I noticed in the site glass that there's some milky white stuff in the oil. Whats up with that should I return the bike to the shop and have it check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
542 Posts
Is it IN the oil or just on the sight glass? I can't really make it out for sure.

If it's only the glass, it is probably just condensation from the cold, and will go away on its own after a ride or two. If it's in the oil it could be a much different story.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Is it IN the oil or just on the sight glass? I can't really make it out for sure.

If it's only the glass, it is probably just condensation from the cold, and will go away on its own after a ride or two. If it's in the oil it could be a much different story.
Agreed. I can't tell from the pic. At first glance, it doesn't look bad but it is hard to tell. If you get failure somewhere in the engine, and other fluids invade the engine oil and create a "milkshake," it is usually catastrophic. Getting coolant into the engine oil will cause successive other failures and contaminate almost every part of the engine. If you want to run it, I'd pay attention to the engine temp and oil temp. Listen for funny sounds. After running it and getting it to running temp, look at the oil and take a pic.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whew! thank you bike god, it was just condensation milky stuff was gone the next morning.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, I just had my recall done and when I got home I noticed in the site glass that there's some milky white stuff in the oil. Whats up with that should I return the bike to the shop and have it check?

Must be living in a cold climate?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Whew! thank you bike god, it was just condensation milky stuff was gone the next morning.

Good news. It looked fine. Oil looked pretty clean. However, it is better to err on the side of caution, and be neurotic, constantly do your pre-ride checks, and worry about things. Too many people are nonchalant about tire pressure, coolant level, tire wear, chain tensions and wear, etc. If you do simple checks and upkeep, you can make stuff last a lot longer, run a lot better, and save minor issues reverberating into more catastrophic ones. It reminds me. My old tank unit was in Kuwait teaching the Kuwaitis about their new M1A1 tanks. Our guys were like "check your turbine turboshaft oil level, check track tension, etc," and the Kuwatis were like "Enshallah. Allah will take care of it. Let us eat." Not the way to handle PMCS and maintenance.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts