Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on machining my rear brake rotor to reduce mass as much as possible. I know rules are different everywhere, but most race organizations I checked with this was acceptable (so far everywhere but AFM).

Is anyone else interested in getting theirs done while I have the machine setup? The cost will be minimal since you can just send me your rotor. Something like this is what I'll be going for to reduce weight:

·
Registered
717 Posts
How much, Jess? Could you do this with the front too? With the lacking surface area, would the bike still scrub speed off as quickly? Design loox awesome.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How much, Jess? Could you do this with the front too? With the lacking surface area, would the bike still scrub speed off as quickly? Design loox awesome.
I'm thinking $20ea for the first round, sound fair?

This is not something you want to do to the front, as it definitely reduces stopping power. It's something a lot of people do to the rear to reduce rotating mass and you can get away with it because you don't need nearly the stopping power on the rear, if you use the rear at all (I don't).

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Not much meat left there, Jesse - but for racers and track guys who barely use the rear anyway**, thanks for putting this out there. Please post up weight difference once you crank out your prototype.

**I'm really bad that way - went off track and it took me a while to re-remember to push my right pedal down.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I actually use my rear brake (occasionally) on the track. I've got an odd late entry technique that swings the rear out on certain types of turns. It's allowed me to sneak attack guys on the outside, then cut in behind them just past the apex and pass them on the inside.
$20 sounz awesome, Jess. Please keep us posted on this.
Also, I'm not gonna lie. I've had my share of "agricultural experiences", if y'knowhati'msang, so I DO prefer a functional rear brake. ;-)

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
It will certainly still be functional, it has to be. But yeah, you just don't need much to lock the rear wheel with your foot, whether you're braking late into a turn, or while offroading between corners :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm thinking $20ea for the first round, sound fair?

This is not something you want to do to the front, as it definitely reduces stopping power. It's something a lot of people do to the rear to reduce rotating mass and you can get away with it because you don't need nearly the stopping power on the rear, if you use the rear at all (I don't).
These look awesome! Combine this with Mr. Spears rotor bolts and "BAM"!!

Spears Racing Titanium Disc Rotor bolts

Let me check the CMRA rules and if all is good will send mine to you. Please PM address and PayPal info and will get you taken care of.

:DThanks again!

·
Registered
196 Posts
These look awesome! Combine this with Mr. Spears rotor bolts and "BAM"!!
Spears Racing Titanium Disc Rotor bolts

Let me check the CMRA rules and if all is good will send mine to you. Please PM address and PayPal info and will get you taken care of.

:DThanks again!
All good with CMRA rules. Lets Do It!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Are you going to want to do one mass quantity run, or are you going to do each one as customers require?

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will probably do a handful the first time together with mine for $20, and I'll buy some new ones and put them up on the site for down the road but they will cost more.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm going on a trip from Aug 28-Sept 4th and it doesn't look like I'm going to get these done before I leave, so I'll squeeze it in after between track/race weekends.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts