Yamaha R3 Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 · (Edited)
I was able to install the modified rotor today and test it out. It works flawlessly. Actually, it doesn't reduce the braking by as much as I expected. It reduces it a little, but it's barely noticeable. It's still pretty darn easy to slow the bike or lock the rear wheel. And you can see the witness marks on the rotor where the pad complete captures the edges around the cutouts, so it seats very nicely and should wear evenly. Soooo, I'm calling that a complete success. Anyone else sending me theirs?

Still trying to get mine done locally before shipping from the other side of the planet,

My rules state;
13.22.4 Permitted Modifications
e- Brake pads, linings, and brake hoses, and brake discs. Front and rear brake discs may be replaced with aftermarket brake discs that must fit the original caliper and wheel mounting. The outside diameter, material, and the ventilation system must remain the same as OEM for the model.

We go on 'Interpretation' of the rules, just about have to be a lawyer to solve protests or deal with a scrutineer in a bad mood sometimes.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
Yeah...that's tough, whether or not that's considered the ventilation system is iffy. One could say the cutouts are the ventilation system, but you could argue that you haven't added air vents or cowls that direct more airflow onto the rotor to cool it and thus the ventilation system is stock...

They have only just allowed the use on non OEM rotors, (Same size thickness and material)
stemmed from the triumph problems in Supersort, racers were needing a new genuine 675 disc every race at great expense.
They still need to use a new one every race (Because they are thinner than the R6/CBR/ZX6 but at least 1/4 the price on ebay.

My other option is to take 50% of the thickness off and hope nobody gets the calipers out and measures them.

Being a Yamaha rider im not too popular with the Ninja crowd for trying to get the KTM and R3 into the competition.

Discussion starter · #26 · (Edited)
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.