Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've tested a lot of different tires on the R3 now, and until this past weekend, I was pretty sold that the Supercorsa 110 front, 140 rear was my favorite. However we tested some larger Bridgestone slicks this past weekend and I have to withdraw my previous recommendations. I wrote a lot about the testing in this weekend's race report:
Race Report – CVMA 2016-2017 Round 1 – Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (CCW) – Yamaha R3

However here's the quick and dirty:

Chuckwalla is a little bit of a different animal than other tracks. There are barely any real straightaways and the corners are so big and open, that you spend a huge amount of time on the very edge of the tire with a lot of throttle. I was definitely using every bit of the Supercorsa 140, and probably running off the edge of the tire a little. Combined with the extreme heat, it was sliding around a lot. It made it hard to hold my corner speed, stay on line, and keep in the gas through the big fast corners. With the big 165 Bridgestone rear, there’a big band of unused tire, even at max lean angle.

As I've mentioned in posts previously when some of you have talked about tire sizes, this unused tire can be a bad thing, because it indicates an area of tire that isn’t heating up by contacting the ground, and can cool the edge of the tire. It’s also extra weight in the worst possible place that you’re towing around for nothing. However in this case, it seems that the 140 Supercorsa isn't quite enough tire for the pace we're running now and the extra grip we're getting with a larger size is worth the extra weight since Bridgestone doesn’t make a good 140 or 150. We're also still generating plenty of heat to keep grip at the edge of the tire and keep the tire carcass at optimum temperature. The extra ride height of the 165 also fits our setup well.

I have also battled on and off at different tracks with the front tire wanting to wander a little mid corner in the faster corners, and fighting to hold a line from mid corner to exit. I even remember now the last time Zeke and I were at Chuckwalla, I struggled to keep up with him in the corners because I couldn’t keep the bike on line and felt like the front was going away from me. On that day, I was running the Supercorsa 140 rear and 110 front, and Zeke was o the Supercorsa 140 rear but left his larger Bridgestone R10 120 front on. I just assumed this wandering front was me and my riding, or suspension and geometry, but as soon as I put on the larger 120 front Bridgestone silck this weekend, this feeling was immediately gone and I had complete control of the bike and my line, even at max lean, and even when whacking open the throttle on exit. We weren’t using the 110 front tire all the way to the edge either, but I’m thinking the 120 is giving us a little bit larger contact patch, especially since the Bridgestone 120 slick front requires very low tire pressure compared to the Supercorsa. This extra contact patch is likely helping to keep the front planted and on it’s line. The 165 rear is probably a little overkill, and a 150 would probably be just as good but a little lighter, but Bridgestone doesn't make the slick in a 150 as of now. I'm thinking the Supercorsa 150 rear would provide a little extra lean angle over the 140, and the 120 Supercorsa front would keep the front planted and on line. The taller 150 or even 160-165 rear tires are also helpful to gain that last little bit of ground clearance, so I think I’m pretty sold on moving toward larger tires for racing the R3. The Bridgestone slicks work great, or Pirelli Supercorsas for those of you that have to run DOTs, probably a 120 front and 150 or 160 rear would be my new recommendation.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PSI in the front? You're right there isn't a good 150 size tire...
When I buy Bridgestone I like to buy from http://www.barebones.net/tires.htm. No relationship except satisfied customer.
The West coast Bridgestone rep, Sequoia, is awesome, he's always trackside. We ran 25 psi off the warmers in the front, 30-33 in the rear depending on track temp.
Jesse

·
Registered
15 Posts
We've tested a lot of different tires on the R3 now, and until this past weekend, I was pretty sold that the Supercorsa 110 front, 140 rear was my favorite. However we tested some larger Bridgestone slicks this past weekend and I have to withdraw my previous recommendations. I wrote a lot about the testing in this weekend's race report:
Race Report – CVMA 2016-2017 Round 1 – Chuckwalla Valley Raceway (CCW) – Yamaha R3

However here's the quick and dirty:

Chuckwalla is a little bit of a different animal than other tracks. There are barely any real straightaways and the corners are so big and open, that you spend a huge amount of time on the very edge of the tire with a lot of throttle. I was definitely using every bit of the Supercorsa 140, and probably running off the edge of the tire a little. Combined with the extreme heat, it was sliding around a lot. It made it hard to hold my corner speed, stay on line, and keep in the gas through the big fast corners. With the big 165 Bridgestone rear, there’a big band of unused tire, even at max lean angle.

As I've mentioned in posts previously when some of you have talked about tire sizes, this unused tire can be a bad thing, because it indicates an area of tire that isn’t heating up by contacting the ground, and can cool the edge of the tire. It’s also extra weight in the worst possible place that you’re towing around for nothing. However in this case, it seems that the 140 Supercorsa isn't quite enough tire for the pace we're running now and the extra grip we're getting with a larger size is worth the extra weight since Bridgestone doesn’t make a good 140 or 150. We're also still generating plenty of heat to keep grip at the edge of the tire and keep the tire carcass at optimum temperature. The extra ride height of the 165 also fits our setup well.

I have also battled on and off at different tracks with the front tire wanting to wander a little mid corner in the faster corners, and fighting to hold a line from mid corner to exit. I even remember now the last time Zeke and I were at Chuckwalla, I struggled to keep up with him in the corners because I couldn’t keep the bike on line and felt like the front was going away from me. On that day, I was running the Supercorsa 140 rear and 110 front, and Zeke was o the Supercorsa 140 rear but left his larger Bridgestone R10 120 front on. I just assumed this wandering front was me and my riding, or suspension and geometry, but as soon as I put on the larger 120 front Bridgestone silck this weekend, this feeling was immediately gone and I had complete control of the bike and my line, even at max lean, and even when whacking open the throttle on exit. We weren’t using the 110 front tire all the way to the edge either, but I’m thinking the 120 is giving us a little bit larger contact patch, especially since the Bridgestone 120 slick front requires very low tire pressure compared to the Supercorsa. This extra contact patch is likely helping to keep the front planted and on it’s line. The 165 rear is probably a little overkill, and a 150 would probably be just as good but a little lighter, but Bridgestone doesn't make the slick in a 150 as of now. I'm thinking the Supercorsa 150 rear would provide a little extra lean angle over the 140, and the 120 Supercorsa front would keep the front planted and on line. The taller 150 or even 160-165 rear tires are also helpful to gain that last little bit of ground clearance, so I think I’m pretty sold on moving toward larger tires for racing the R3. The Bridgestone slicks work great, or Pirelli Supercorsas for those of you that have to run DOTs, probably a 120 front and 150 or 160 rear would be my new recommendation.
just the kind of information i had been looking for ....

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I haven't even seen an option for 110/140 Supercorsas. Do they still make them. Looking at their site it looks like the best bet would probably be the 120/150 combo in SC1 or SC2.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts