Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone that has installed an aftermarket throttle, any inputs on what you have/had would be greatly appreciated. I had the R6 throttle on the R3 and it definitely helped. I put the same throttle tube on the R25 and it helped but the 250 is noticeably less responsive than the R3. After my track day yesterday I am wanting to see if there are any throttle tubes that shorten the twist on their bike. I found my hand cramping just a bit too much.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Main reason I swapped the R3 throttle tube for the motion pro kit ....too be able to route the cables from top, so I can lower the bars more.
Great point. I too would be interested in hearing people's feedback. I had a Motion Pro on my Ninja 250 last race season and loved it. Anyone have experience with both the Motion Pro and the Roby Moto one?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great point. I too would be interested in hearing people's feedback. I had a Motion Pro on my Ninja 250 last race season and loved it. Anyone have experience with both the Motion Pro and the Roby Moto one?
Did you put a different starter in it or was the bike set up without a starter?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Did you put a different starter in it or was the bike set up without a starter?
On the N250 I had the factory ignition/starter switch. I didn't have the Motion Pro starter switch.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On the N250 I had the factory ignition/starter switch. I didn't have the Motion Pro starter switch.
On the N250 the starter and throttle assembly are two separate pieces? I'm wondering what all I will need if I swap to a quick throttle.

·
Registered
237 Posts
On the N250 the starter and throttle assembly are two separate pieces? I'm wondering what all I will need if I swap to a quick throttle.
Yes, that statement is correct. The Motion Pro assembly was just for the throttle tube/cams/cables setup.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I just put an R6 throttle tube in from a 2008+ R6. It's a 1/6th turn. Way quicker than the stock. I haven't bothered with the Motion Pro or Robby Moto, but I also haven't installed my bodywork yet, so once I do that I will how the clearance is with the stock cables. I imagine if your bike is still a street bike there would be no difference because you're not messing with the cables or anything else, just simply swapping the throttle tube. If that's all you're looking for, the R6 tube is by far the cheapest and easiest option.

Reactions: Kojiiro

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just put an R6 throttle tube in from a 2008+ R6. It's a 1/6th turn. Way quicker than the stock. I haven't bothered with the Motion Pro or Robby Moto, but I also haven't installed my bodywork yet, so once I do that I will how the clearance is with the stock cables. I imagine if your bike is still a street bike there would be no difference because you're not messing with the cables or anything else, just simply swapping the throttle tube. If that's all you're looking for, the R6 tube is by far the cheapest and easiest option.
If by street bike you mean the fairings, then yes it is still in that configuration. The bike has only a few minor mods here and here. Fairings are stock, vortex clip ons, R6 tube, and suspension work up front/rear. I'm looking for more response out of the throttle. Maybe the motion pro can solve that problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
That setup is what I'm currently running too. It's a huge improvement from the factory R3 throttle tube, but it's still not as good as the biggest cam with a Motion Pro. I think I will eventually be pulling the trigger on an aftermarket setup, but I agree; the best bang for your buck comes from the R3 throttle tube.

If by street bike you mean the fairings, then yes it is still in that configuration. The bike has only a few minor mods here and here. Fairings are stock, vortex clip ons, R6 tube, and suspension work up front/rear. I'm looking for more response out of the throttle. Maybe the motion pro can solve that problem.
Sounds like you have aftermarket clip-ons, so maybe an aftermarket throttle tube would give you some more clearance, even if you're running the stock bodywork. With that said, I don't know how much more "responsiveness" you're going to get with an aftermarket throttle tube compared to the R6 one. I simply want to make the change to reduce the amount of twist action I need when at the race track. I don't think it will make the initial throttle response much greater. Just my $0.02, though.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
^What he said. To my knowledge the Motion Pro cam results in a 1/5 turn, whereas the R6 throttle tube from a 2008 or newer R6 is 1/6, so it's even less twist to get to full throttle than the Motion Pro. The advantage of the Motion Pro is what was mentioned previously...for clearance reasons.

·
Registered
237 Posts
^What he said. To my knowledge the Motion Pro cam results in a 1/5 turn, whereas the R6 throttle tube from a 2008 or newer R6 is 1/6, so it's even less twist to get to full throttle than the Motion Pro. The advantage of the Motion Pro is what was mentioned previously...for clearance reasons.
Haha I like how your "^What he said." post got pushed to the next page. LOL.

About the Motion Pro being 1/5 turn, can you confirm? My N250 Motion Pro set came with 4-5 different cams. I put the most aggressive cam on mine, and comparing the feel of my R6 throttle tube on my R3 and the N250 Motion Pro throttle assembly, I would say the Motion Pro was more aggressive (i.e. took less twist to get to full throttle).

I never owned the bikes at the same time, nor did I actually measure either unit. But by my natural "feel" I thought for sure my Motion Pro on the N250 was more aggressive. That's the only reason I have been considering getting a new one.

Another thing to mention: I cannot confirm my current R6 throttle tube is truly an 08+. If it's from an older year, maybe that's the reason it doesn't feel as aggressive as my Motion Pro did.

All in all, that's a lot of words to say - take my feedback/info with a grain of salt. LOL.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Haha I like how your "^What he said." post got pushed to the next page. LOL.

About the Motion Pro being 1/5 turn, can you confirm? My N250 Motion Pro set came with 4-5 different cams. I put the most aggressive cam on mine, and comparing the feel of my R6 throttle tube on my R3 and the N250 Motion Pro throttle assembly, I would say the Motion Pro was more aggressive (i.e. took less twist to get to full throttle).

I never owned the bikes at the same time, nor did I actually measure either unit. But by my natural "feel" I thought for sure my Motion Pro on the N250 was more aggressive. That's the only reason I have been considering getting a new one.

Another thing to mention: I cannot confirm my current R6 throttle tube is truly an 08+. If it's from an older year, maybe that's the reason it doesn't feel as aggressive as my Motion Pro did.

All in all, that's a lot of words to say - take my feedback/info with a grain of salt. LOL.
Nope, don't know for sure as I haven't seen the Motion Pro kit, just from what I've heard from others so it could be wrong. I do know from a friend who has the Robby Moto kit though that one comes with 55, 57, 62 and 68 degree cams. A 1/6th would be 60 degrees, so their most aggressive one would be quick AF!!! lol

I have the Motion Pro on my zx6r, but it's different bike so not really apples-to-apples comparison. I know that one is more aggressive than the stock, but less than what my R3 is with the R6 tube on it...which is good because having such a sensitive throttle on a 600, I feel like I would high-side all the time lol. Don't know how people do it on the R6 with that stock one! lol

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anyone know the diameter of the various kits they are running? I currently have the R6 tube, and will measure when I pull it off but was wondering what the tube diameters are. Just bought a Japanese kit from a company called active, that I linked a while back. It comes with a 50 and 52 mm cam.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Motion Pro states the largest cam in their kit to be 50mm. It's what I'm running, and it is an improvement over the R6 tube. Now I'm waiting for Jesse to come out with his super short throttle :p

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does anyone know the diameter of the various kits they are running? I currently have the R6 tube, and will measure when I pull it off but was wondering what the tube diameters are. Just bought a Japanese kit from a company called active, that I linked a while back. It comes with a 50 and 52 mm cam.
Motion Pro states the largest cam in their kit to be 50mm. It's what I'm running, and it is an improvement over the R6 tube. Now I'm waiting for Jesse to come out with his super short throttle
How much are these kits? Do they offer better clearance for bodywork than the factory throttle tube?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How much are these kits? Do they offer better clearance for bodywork than the factory throttle tube?
I am not sure if it would improve clearance for you or not. The box has some dimensions, and I will snap some pics and post for you later on, as I need to get my bike ready and loaded for the track in a few hours. The kit I bought is pretty pricey but this is Japan and everything seems to cost more than the states. I paid ¥17,280 for mine, so around $156. It comes with a 50 and 52 mm reel, the throttle tube, 2 grips, 2 cables, and the grip assembly where the cam and cables fit in to. There is a 54 mm cam available but I did. Or see one available in the store.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
They do. The Robby Moto and MotionPro do for sure, that's why most people get them...but really depends on how you want to set up your clip-ons and what clip-ons you have.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are a few pics of the kit I bought, with some basic measurements. I was unable to go to the track today, it rained quite hard.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Main reason I swapped the R3 throttle tube for the motion pro kit ....too be able to route the cables from top, so I can lower the bars more.
Here ya go. Upside down and an R6 tube. Works just fine plus the CRA sheisters can't turn my bike off on the long straights.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts